Post your Kinetic Text Videos FTW
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-08-18, 17:39

Full Metal Jacket Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW78m...eature=related

Pulp-tacular!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HePWB...eature=related

We should have a kinetic video contest of our own...

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-02, 18:42

Worst thread ever... I humbly apologize.

btw I wasn't trying to suggest those were my videos... only that I thought they were cool. I think this was originally an ad concept used by AMC and these guys added R-rated versions.

I am working on a project like this right now just so I can say I know how to do it / add it to the portfolio. Kind of a PITA even with decent AE knowledge. Lots of iterative steps and revisions.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2008-09-02, 21:26

I don't think it's a bad thread, I actually love kinetic text videos.... some are amazing!!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-02, 21:31

Those are awesome!

I love them both. Two movies with plenty of good lines or dialogue to pull from, no doubt.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-09-02, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I am working on a project like this right now just so I can say I know how to do it / add it to the portfolio. Kind of a PITA even with decent AE knowledge. Lots of iterative steps and revisions.
What do you use to do it ? Just curious...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-02, 21:36

Yeah, how would you go about it?

Someone needs to do one to Quint's U.S.S. Indianapolis scene from "Jaws".

"And the thing about a shark is he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes...".
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 21:57

Ni!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGEMc...eature=related
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-09-02, 22:05

Those are awesome.

I didn't know what this thread was about, but watching them, it was cool.

I've seen videos like that, I just didn't know what they were called.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-02, 22:15

Cool! Glad it wasn't everyone thinking "well that's like the dumbest shit I've ever seen..."

Mega / Scates: I am using a combination of Photoshop and After Effects, though a lot of people use Illustrator and After Effects I think. Could probably do it in Motion too but I want to try in AE to brush up on my skills a bit. And good call on Captain Quint... I have to get Jaws on DVD. Must-pwn.

This is another good one from Full Metal Jacket. Really like the movement on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPWNiHEOMM

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-09-02, 22:42

There are a ton of them on YouTube.

I just watched Dane Cook ones for about 20 minutes.

Good stuff.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-09-03, 05:46

Not purely typography, but in the same vein, and one of my all time favourite music videos...
Alex Gopher - The Child NY made of Typography

And from the Flash side of things, there was an award winning one a few years back on the military industrial complex... "what ??? said" - can't recall

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Foj
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 12:49

Who's on first?
¡Damned!

2008-09-03, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
btw I wasn't trying to suggest those were my videos... only that I thought they were cool. I think this was originally an ad concept used by AMC and these guys added R-rated versions.

I saw the Pulp Fiction piece last year on Motionographer, and iirc it was created as a student project for a Typography Class at SCAD. Really nice work. That one is by far my favorite because he gets the timings and intonations just perfect.

I wouldn't want to attempt it in Motion, but with some fairly simple camera moves, moving anchor points and good parenting skills () in AE you should be able to come up with something nice.

[edit]: Here's the Motionographer post that I mentioned. I was sure that they had an entire article with a bunch of different examples, but that must've been somewhere else....

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2008-09-03 at 13:41.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-09-03, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
Abbott and Costello FTW!!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-09-03, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I saw the Pulp Fiction piece last year on Motionographer, and iirc it was created as a student project for a Typography Class at SCAD. Really nice work. That one is by far my favorite because he gets the timings and intonations just perfect.

I wouldn't want to attempt it in Motion, but with some fairly simple camera moves, moving anchor points and good parenting skills () in AE you should be able to come up with something nice.

[edit]: Here's the Motionographer post that I mentioned. I was sure that they had an entire article with a bunch of different examples, but that must've been somewhere else....

Thanks for the links. Did you read any of the comments below the work on the page above? Some of the back-and-forth between students and non-students is hilarious. SCAD run by a woman named Mrs. Wallace, SCAD-student-sympathy-hand-jobs... classic. Almost more entertaining then the piece itself but not quite. If you go to that kid's web page he's got a larger version. Makes it a bit easier to read in spots / gives a different effect somewhat than the tube-ized version.

Foj
Veteran Member

2010-09-15, 18:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBVm...eature=related
Alex London

2010-09-16, 12:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amO8iGjYd94&NR=1
A more imaginative clip from the same film, one that looks nice and is not too expensive.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-09-16, 13:20

NI!

Looks like the Movie Studio Dickheads were cruising YouTube again and forced some of the students to take down their work because it was "commercial" (I'm guessing). A-holes.

Here's a new link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNT5z...eature=related