User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

COVID-19 Outbreak

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
COVID-19 Outbreak
Page 19 of 42 First Previous 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23  Next Last Thread Tools
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-05-28, 19:08

"I know for a fact they went into a family's home to buy a pet and didn't tell them. One of the kids in that house is immunocompromised."

IMO that's a biological assault, and should be met with the open end of a shotgun until it goes away.

Fucking assholes, everywhere.
¡Damned!

2021-05-28, 19:43

The thing with this weird transitional period with the masks is what everyone has said, exactly. The unvaxxed are going to spread disease unmasked anyways, as they always would, but the now vaxxed are wary about not wearing masks because they'll look like they don't care or are a part of the unvaxxed crowd. My personal mantra is: if the staff of the store is masked, I put my mask on. Simple enough.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2021-05-28, 20:00

Also, vax cards for entry? Fuck yes. Let the individual business decide - free market and all that. EO it nationwide. Let the regressive Govs pass 'laws' and then fight it out in court.

So it goes.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-28, 20:28

Zero chance business are going to put up with the bullshit of checking cards and putting their employees in constant confrontations.

Also, I was a good boy for 15 months. I got both of my shots. State and CDC says we don’t need masks, so I’m no mask.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-05-29, 07:09

Yeah, checks aren’t going to happen. There have already been enough attacks on retail staff over masks, I’d hate to see what the reaction to vaccine checks would be from the anti-vaxxers. International flights are likely going to be a different story, many nations are already saying it will be required for entry (EU for one, Japan I think), and more will likely follow.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-05-29, 09:05

Yeah there are a lot of countries requiring either cards or a 72 hour negative test.
¡Damned!

2021-05-29, 12:06

True, but there's gotta be a better way to get more people vaccinated besides 'vax lottos'. We're (US) barely over 50% for those eligible thus far, and let's face it, those who wanted to get the shot already have.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-05-29, 13:48

Am I missing something or am I clear to go without a mask after being infected? Doesn't my natural immunity from direct infection allow me to go free?

Is it 14 days from exposure that we are free or 14 days after last symptoms?

Thankfully my family has only had very mild symptoms at this point. We are 5 days from exposure and had some fatigue, sinus stuff, occasional cough/mucus kinda things. I'm not going to bother paying to have testing done, it is clear we were exposed and appear to have been infected.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-05-29, 14:09

You should still get vaccinated even after you’ve been infected and meanwhile continue masking just like before. Continue taking all the same precautions as if you hadn’t been infected; even though re-infection is less likely for you, you could still infect others. IIUC, the “natural” immunity gained from the infection has not been proven to be as reliable, thorough, and effective as the manufactured vaccines. Plus, you’re likely to be a carrier for a long time after your symptoms subside. I may try to dig up the link later, but I read one study not long ago that showed covid still present in some tissues months after infection.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-05-29, 20:01

What Brad said. This is a SHIT of a virus, and it's not clear that the immunity is robust at all, either 'natural' or vaccinated. (Some diseases are like that.) Take all the help you can get.

I mean... why *wouldn't* you?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-05-29, 23:53

Got first dose of Pfizer in the morning on Saturday, and the location really has the shots rolling out fast. Didn't even feel the nurse put it in, if she hadn't asked if I felt anything I wouldn't have known. Other than some minor soreness in my arm, all is well so far.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-05-30, 02:49

Start the countdown clock for me.

I went to that festival.

About 1% of the people there were wearing masks, and I only did so when going into shops, and I did get hugs from people. It went against all my instincts, but once I began I couldn't stop.

I am now a ball of remorse mixed with relief.

Listened to a friend who is staunchly against getting vaccinated complain about another friend who wouldn't hug him since he wasn't vaccinated. I attempted to explain that she was doing so primarily as a courtesy to him, in case she was carrying the virus without symptoms. It was as if he had never heard of asymptomatic transmission, and he most certainly did not understand (nor believe) that it was possible, morphing the conversation into his conviction that his immune system was so robust that it would be impossible for him to contract the virus. In an attempt to get one past the goalie I explained matter-of-factly that I had decided that if people like him had decided that they would rather risk dying from the virus, who was I to stand in their way? I didn't really feel like I meant it, but my actions of the day certainly supported my statement. In that instant a tiny light flickered in his eyes, understanding that I meant that I would let him die just to have my own fun. He gave me a look of understanding, then cried out "Pirate!"

We went in separate directions and all I've been able to think about since is the truth of what I said to him - how incredibly dangerous high-attendance, mask-free events like that faire are for transmission.

The call of socialization is profound.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-05-30, 07:13

We're into lockdown #4 here.

I read these astute labels on Twitter today:
1. The first one
2. The bad one
3. The short one
4. The one from Adelaide

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-05-30, 19:03

I just got back from a week-long road trip. Mostly outdoors (Utah, national parks, etc) but spent some time in cars with others and ate out in restaurants a couple times.

Should be safe, since I've been fully vaxxed for about two months, but still feels weird.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2021-05-31, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
We're into lockdown #4 here.

I read these astute labels on Twitter today:
1. The first one
2. The bad one
3. The short one
4. The one from Adelaide

Really feeling for ya, Anthony.

This is all on Morrison (and SA). Just saw Pru Gowrad on The Drum trying to shift blame to your contact tracers. Absolutely outrageous. Since the bad one, I think you've got the best quarantine and at least the equally best contact tracers in the country. And attacking contract tracers is such a stupid, stupid, stupid idea at any time. if PRU thinks she can do a better job then she should get off her fat arse and do it.

Hang in there.

Have you had the vaccine yet? Are you over 50? I'm getting my first dose on Friday.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-05-31, 05:18

Margie!

So good to see you here again.

I don’t normally like to speak disparagingly but I’m going do it here. I cannot abide ScoMo. He’s a blame shifter and has never truly supported Victoria.

I’m proud of the way we’re handling it. Back in Feb, we were the only jurisdiction in the world who ran down the UK variant in the wider community and now we’re facing the Indian variant against a zero backdrop.

We’ll do what needs to be done.

As for me, I turned 50 last year (where did the time go?) and am scheduled for the vaccine next Tuesday.

I hope you’re keeping well. Are you still in Tassie?

twitter
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-01, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I know for a fact they went into a family's home to buy a pet and didn't tell them. One of the kids in that house is immunocompromised.
Fuck. There should be criminal prosecutions for this sort of behavior -- your FIL is setting the stage for a manslaughter conviction if this child dies.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-01, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Got first dose of Pfizer in the morning on Saturday, and the location really has the shots rolling out fast. Didn't even feel the nurse put it in, if she hadn't asked if I felt anything I wouldn't have known. Other than some minor soreness in my arm, all is well so far.
The Pfizer vaccine injection volume is tiny -- less than 300 uL. Most flu vaccines are close to 1 mL.
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2021-06-01, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Margie!

So good to see you here again.

I don’t normally like to speak disparagingly but I’m going do it here. I cannot abide ScoMo.
I'm happy to help!

He's a fuckin' idiot. Same old, same old as with Boris and Agent Orange. Apparently they just don't "science".

Quote:
He’s a blame shifter and has never truly supported Victoria.
He's a fuckin' idiot!

Quote:
I’m proud of the way we’re handling it. Back in Feb, we were the only jurisdiction in the world who ran down the UK variant in the wider community and now we’re facing the Indian variant against a zero backdrop.

We’ll do what needs to be done.
I know! You got this! But pay attention......this is the less dangerous Indian variant (4 cases via casual contact according to Jeroene). So not the one that has just become dominant in the UK. R5 - 8. All our Indian arrivals are currently going through Howard Springs. Everybody else is......

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst is my approach.

Quote:
As for me, I turned 50 last year (where did the time go?) and am scheduled for the vaccine next Tuesday.
M/b worth shopping for a spare Pfizer over the weekend? Otherwise you won't be vaccinated until early September.

Scott Morrison is a cockhead (and rapist protector).

And he just doesn't give a fuck.

Just like Donald.

Just like Boris.

They'll all the same. Couldn't organise a root in a brothel with a fist full of fifties.

Quote:
hope you’re keeping well. Are you still in Tassie?
I am! And yes! But thinking of moving to NZ because Shouty McShoutface is fuckin' dangerous and I don't think I'm up to another 3 years of him. Turn 60 this year. Young 'un.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2021-06-01, 13:45

Cheers Margie. Glad you’re well!

I’m scheduled for my vaccine next Tuesday. Rumor is we have another three weeks of lockdown coming now.

Happy 60th when it comes too!

twitter
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-06-01, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
The Pfizer vaccine injection volume is tiny -- less than 300 uL. Most flu vaccines are close to 1 mL.
Interesting. Then again the last time I got blood drawn I didn’t notice it much either. Flue shot feels like a light pinch.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-01, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychester View Post
Scott Morrison is ...

Just like Donald.

Just like Boris.
The Left really is unhinged from reality. It's amazing how only conservative leaders attract this kind of attack.

The UK and most of the USA are open, while I'm still locked in my house by government edict.
If it wasn't for the Trump admin's Operation Warp Speed, much of the planet (including Canada) would be despondent at this point.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-06-01, 16:56

...except for the fact that the vaccines were created without Warp Speed, then sure, Trump deserves credit for the vaccines.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-01, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
If it wasn't for the Trump admin's Operation Warp Speed, much of the planet (including Canada) would be despondent at this point.
So the free market is bad now?

(Also, while the US did do significant research funding, so did others. The Pfizer-BioNTech faccine was largely funded by Germany and the EU.)
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-01, 18:09

Quote:
The Left really is unhinged from reality. It's amazing how only conservative leaders attract this kind of attack.

The UK and most of the USA are open, while I'm still locked in my house by government edict.
Hmm. Operation warp speed wasn't much of a success: Of all of the investments by the US to get first priority to vaccines only Moderna has been approved and was developed within the US (all other vaccines are overseas affairs). You might want to believe that OWS's investments somehow mattered, but the vaccines in Europe were going to be developed without Trump's lackluster political ploy. The fact that all but one of the current vaccines arose outside of the US speaks to the idiocy of claiming Trump had anything to do with this -- in fact, you might argue that there was a detriment from his leadership given that US companies failed to bring anything to market when those vaccines were homegrown in comparison to what would be expected. Basically: early vaccine candidates against covid-19 were already working by the time Trump thought the virus would just go away in April of last year, and the policies he pursued afterwards made the disease the tragedy it is and continues to be.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-01, 20:20

Those three replies are all very careful to address the development of the vaccines, and curiously not the manufacturing of the vaccines.

Canada's vaccine efforts are currently being saved because Pfizer and Moderna are largely done with the rampup within the U.S. By the fall, overseas countries will be seeing the same benefits. I am thankful for the efforts of European pharma giants, but the US administration really understood modern supply chains and business models and essentially went into business with pharma companies to roll this out. There is no harm in giving credit where it's due.

This is in large part why the majority of the U.S. is open, and the largest province in Canada is on the verge of cancelling school till September.

P.S. After Canada got snookered by China, we went the traditional vaccine procurement route.
Our homegrown mRNA vaccine is currently navigating the approval stage and isn't a factor in Canada's current vaccination efforts.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-06-01, 20:31

It was a year too late, but Canada has now taken the OWS success to heart and greenlit hundreds of millions to partner with vaccine manufacturers.

So we'll be ready for the Next Big Thing, as long as it's exactly the same as the last big thing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-06-02, 01:37

Quote:
Those three replies are all very careful to address the development of the vaccines, and curiously not the manufacturing of the vaccines.
I assumed you were talking about development. If you're talking about manufacturing, you're even more off. Trump effectively banned the export of US-produced vaccines until the US has enough supply (and Biden continued this policy for a while).

Quote:
Canada's vaccine efforts are currently being saved because Pfizer and Moderna are largely done with the rampup within the U.S.
Again, Pfizer wasn't even funded by the US, at all.

How nice of capitalist corporations to want to make more revenues, though!

Quote:
By the fall, overseas countries will be seeing the same benefits. I am thankful for the efforts of European pharma giants, but the US administration really understood modern supply chains and business models and essentially went into business with pharma companies to roll this out. There is no harm in giving credit where it's due.
Nor is there harm in seeing that the situation is more complex, multiple events happened in parallel, and given that 1) other nations were first in funding development, and 2) the US didn't even help other nations with manufacturing, there is really no leg to stand on here.

Quote:
This is in large part why the majority of the U.S. is open, and the largest province in Canada is on the verge of cancelling school till September.
So now you're both arguing that Canada should be thankful for the US but also the US did not in fact help save poor Canada from itself? Interesting.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-06-02, 02:59

The argument just fails at its face: Trump wasn't using OWS to save the world, nor would any of the policies in the money grab have resulted in a change of outcome (J&J might actually have had some US manufactured vaccines if OWS hadn't occurred). If he truly wanted to make vaccines available to all, he would have taken the bold step of making their discoveries public property using the cash for this endeavour to reward the corporations for the risk they took on, rather than tying this to a nationalistic urge for America First.

In any event: OWS failed to keep the vaccines in the US, failed to make US companies more successful at discovering and delivering vaccines (especially to non-western countries), and failed to stop over 600k Americans from dying from a disease conservatives in the US still struggle to believe exists.

Ah well.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-06-02, 09:10

I have not bothered to read up on the Fauci emails, but there sure seems to be a bunch of bad stuff in them. Mostly contradictory and fuel for the fire on burning him at the stake... but still. I'm not trying to start a political flame war, but if the headlines and excerpts are accurate then people are gonna be pissed. That or defend him I suppose.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.