User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

CBS This Morning: Apple announcing something tomorrow moving (Wednesday, Jan. 13)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
CBS This Morning: Apple announcing something tomorrow moving (Wednesday, Jan. 13)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 14:46

Heres the story at MacRumors.

Not a product, CBS says, but something even bigger/better.

No idea what it could be. That Gayle King is saying it’s bigger/better than any product announcement has me a little worried.

Seriously, I can’t think of any service or non-product that would qualify, so I’m assuming it’s going to be something in the cultural realm?

Maybe the free tier to iCloud jumps up to something larger? An official announcement of the Hyundai partnership and the Apple Car initiative? The streaming, news and/or music services? Kanye West and Cardi B joining the board?

Guesses? Thoughts?

If it isn’t an actual product, then the possibilities are limited. And then you have to factor in King’s assessment, and what a doofus like her would deem bigger and better than an actual product.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-01-12, 15:40

Apple car stuff? Future OS updates (mobile and desktop) will be by subscription (monthly fee)? More wireless headphones?

The end of the iTunes music store, Apple Music only going forward?

At this point just about anything is possible.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-12, 16:00

The reporter stated that it is not a product. So, what does that leave?

- A political position?

- A humanitarian effort?

- Something to do with energy efforts?

- Apple is building a new manufacturing facility in Timbuktu?

- Tim Cook is retiring?

- Jony Ive is coming back to head up Internal Affairs? (All employees must now be aesthetically pleasing—you know, thin, light, waterproof, and only have one hole in their enclosure?)

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
The reporter stated that it is not a product. So, what does that leave?

- A political position?

- A humanitarian effort?

- Something to do with energy efforts?

- Apple is building a new manufacturing facility in...
I feel pretty good about any of those first four.

If not a product, it could be service-related. Did that rumor about the bundle (music, news, Apple+, etc.) ever come to be? Wasn't that talked about/expected at one of those fall events?

It sounds like the interview was scheduled well before last week's idiocy in DC, so his comments about that were after-the-fact commentary, so I don't think it's something along those lines in any huge, overt way (political).

It could be something related to privacy? Although how that would be bigger or better than a product announcement is beyond me. But it's Gayle King - who I put right there with Joy Behar, Kathie Lee and Hoda, etc.

Or some new partnership (that's why I think they might be formally announcing the Hyundai thing and copping to the whole "yeah, we're doing a car, and here's why..." (which would encompass some of the above...energy efforts, a new manufacturing facility, and, I suppose, it could be seen as political, to those who make such things political.

CES is (or was?) underway, and they're not there, so is this their "steal the thunder/spotlight" move to where they let the other thing take place and then pop up afterwards with their own hype/plans?

But, again, if it's not a product...who really gives a shit?

I know there are other things, but Apple, primarily, like it or not, is a "stuff" company. Yeah, they have values and initiatives and are concerned about this and that, but for King to frame whatever's coming as "bigger, better" than a product announcement is tough to wrap my head around.

Cook surely isn't retiring, and Ive is long out the door.

A puzzler.

I will, however, put $10 on it being nowhere near "bigger, better" than an outright product announcement.

It'll likely be something cultural/social, with a political tinge to it (brought into sharper focus by last week's nonsense).

That's where my money's going.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-12 at 16:26.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Apple car stuff? Future OS updates (mobile and desktop) will be by subscription (monthly fee)?
Please don't say that out loud.

My stomach hurts...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-12, 16:59

Quote:
Future OS updates (mobile and desktop) will be by subscription (monthly fee)?
I don't see it happening (what about people who don't subscribe — if I buy an iPhone 12 today, for how many years do I get free bugfixes? That implies an engineering complexity they have so far mostly tried to avoid), but I would like that. Not because Apple needs the money (they don't), but because it sends a signal that software is allowed to cost money.

We've seen a devaluation of software in the recent two decades, and not only has it driven many indies out of the market (most people just can't survive making a 99-cent app, sorry), but it has also led to abusive business models like ads with tracking, and consumable in-app purchases. Bring back $10 iOS games and $20 productivity apps.

Quote:
- Tim Cook is retiring?
Oh, that's an interesting guess.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 17:04

They’ve cloned Steve Jobs and after a careful gestation period they are about to awaken the host and download his digitized memories into it?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 17:34

I'm interested to see what comes out of the meeting/press thing. I was wondering but only for a moment while I was bogged with work stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 17:39

Quote:
- Tim Cook is retiring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Oh, that's an interesting guess.
I kinda pooh-poohed/glossed over this above, but I keep going back to it.

Not only retiring, but - and this is the sort of thing that would make Gayle King say what she did - he's throwing his hat into the political arena and he's going to put his money where his mouth is on political/cultural/social issues and run for...something.

I wouldn't think so, but nothing really surprises/shocks me anymore.

No way he'd retire and the do the yacht/idle gazillionaire thing. That doesn't seem like him at all. Tim Cook is the type who'd leave his comfy day gig to try to "make a difference", in whatever way. A "calling". He just strikes me that way, based on previous interviews, the things he talks about, etc.

If this was what was announced, it would not surprise me one bit.

I truly don't think that's what's coming, but, if it happened, I'd be like "well, yeah...I guess this has been scrawled across the wall for quite a few years now."

When it's not a product, then you gotta start considering all the other angles. I suppose, technically, the car thing is a product, but maybe if they're just playing up the overall initiative and partnership with Hyundai vs. "here's a new iThing, shipping immediately" like we'd expect in a "new product announcement".

Had a Gruber, Swisher, Snell or Mossberg had said "something bigger, better than a product announcement", then I'd be kinda excited because they'd be viewing it from the same angle we all would...something cool or tied to Apple/tech in some way. But that's not Gayle King's beat. Her saying it is more like Whoopi Goldberg or Anderson Cooper saying such a thing...tech isn't their bag/known area of focus, so they're looking at it from a completely different angle that would thrill/excite them. Something cultural/political and "serious news"-worthy, etc.

And it sounds like CBS/King bagged the main, choice interview on the matter, if she's teasing such stuff (I'm not seeing it elsewhere). Not a tech or financial outlet, as is sometimes the case.

I really don't know. I guess that makes it exciting and mysterious. We'll see in about 16 hours or so.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-01-12 at 17:54.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-01-12, 17:42

its a new initiative... read coding in schools or some such.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 17:50

What makes me most intrigued is the Annual Stockholder meeting is just around the corner: Meeting date: ‌February 23, 2021‌

So sell my stocks now or chance it...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-12, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What makes me most intrigued is the Annual Stockholder meeting is just around the corner: Meeting date: ‌February 23, 2021‌

So sell my stocks now or chance it...
Yeah, right?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 18:25

It is weird. Apple hasn't usually done a press event to announce an announcement.

It's something they wanted to push into the public realm, and bypass the usual Mac rumour ecosystem.

I don't think it would be a retirement announcement.
They would have been pushing a potential successor towards Wall Street for months.

Maybe Apple is launching its own University? Something like that?

Or it could be Pandemic-related?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Or it could be Pandemic-related?
Apple's footing the bill for everyone's vaccine?

Apple bought Parler and re-naming it Ping?

Craig Frederighi was named the new Breck Girl?

So many possibilities!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-12, 18:39

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-12, 18:50

Tim Cook:

"I like big butts and I cannot lie!"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-12, 19:45

Quote:
I don't see it happening (what about people who don't subscribe — if I buy an iPhone 12 today, for how many years do I get free bugfixes? That implies an engineering complexity they have so far mostly tried to avoid), but I would like that. Not because Apple needs the money (they don't), but because it sends a signal that software is allowed to cost money.

We've seen a devaluation of software in the recent two decades, and not only has it driven many indies out of the market (most people just can't survive making a 99-cent app, sorry), but it has also led to abusive business models like ads with tracking, and consumable in-app purchases. Bring back $10 iOS games and $20 productivity apps.
So you believe that the cost of the OS isn’t already built into the price of the devices Apple sells? As far as I’m concerned it is. If they went subscription my current Apple devices would be my last, no doubt about it.

Anyway. Yes I agree with others, it could be Tim Cooke, or maybe someone else high up retiring. It does seem like a very un Apple like thing. Makes sense with that line of thinking.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 21:05

Yeah, the "bigger, better" thing doesn't necessarily have to mean good/positive/upbeat, I suppose. Someone high-up leaving Apple, depending on who it was, would be weird or important for people like us, but not the average Joe. So why the CBS/mainstream angle? I just don't think it's that.

I think it could be something on the economic/recovery/jobs front...manufacturing/assembly jobs coming to the U.S./North America? Related or not to the car thing? Perhaps even a "in partnership with the Office of the President Elect, we're proud - and ecstatic - to announce..." kind of thing? A final jab in the eye to the outgoing mental patient? Especially after last week?

Whatever they're wanting to announce, they want it out there via the non-tech/geek channels ASAP (otherwise they would've granted the sit-down with the usual outlets/journalists). Somebody, somewhere, thought this was more appropriate for Gayle King and CBS vs. Kara Swisher and her outlets?

I'm honestly stumped. I can think of 3-4 things it could be, but, with each one, the more I think about it, 1-2 things just don't hang or "fit" right.

Whatever it is, they've managed to keep the lid on it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 21:08

Tim Cook isn't firing up a personal jet and sitting down for network TV interviews for a personnel change. That's for sure.

It's got to be something with widespread benefit that they want to make a big splash with.

I'm thinking a free university or some kind of medical advance.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-12, 21:20

Yeah. Someone leaving Apple, regardless of the position or reason, isn't mainstream "everyone needs to hear it immediately!" news, IMO.

But some of these other things guessed at certainly would be.

EDIT: Could very well be something on the emoji front. We know how important that is to everyone.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 21:35

"Look I'm the best logistics guy in the business so I'm buying Pfizer and taking over vaccine distribution from these clowns at the White House"

No idea if that's what it is, but would explain the broad audience they're looking for.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-01-12, 21:40

I doubt Cook would do that just because he's a great logistics guy.

To get herd immunity within current time and manufacturing constraints, we need a single-shot vaccine. Cook would understand that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-01-13, 06:20

Quote:
So you believe that the cost of the OS isn’t already built into the price of the devices Apple sells? As far as I’m concerned it is.
Of course it is.

Like I said, it's not that Apple needs the money. It's that third parties do. If macOS costs money again (and iOS costs money for the first time other than those weird iPod touch upgrades), it sends a signal that it's OK for software to cost money.

Right now, it's all "but iOS is free! but Facebook is free! but these games are free-to-play!".

Quote:
If they went subscription my current Apple devices would be my last, no doubt about it.
I mean, not to rehash the "if you're not paying, you're the product" argument, but…
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-13, 08:38

Apple put out notice about contributing something like $100M to Atlanta for a campus. Drew might now more about it, I just scanned the article since I'm not in Atlanta and don't really care. Don't get me wrong, nice Apple is doing positive things with it's money but it doesn't impact me in anyway.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-01-13, 08:45

Here it is.

Several here were on the right track, in the ballpark.

Quote:
Apple today announced a set of new projects as part of its $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative (REJI) to help dismantle systemic barriers to opportunity and combat injustices faced by communities of color.

The projects include the Propel Center, a global innovation and learning hub for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), an Apple Developer Academy to support coding and tech education for students in Detroit, and venture capital funding for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.
chucker

2021-01-13, 09:10

Not sure what to think. I'd much rather the US increase taxes and then do such initiatives at the government level, which has more accountability, than relying on some private corp.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-01-13, 11:03

Quote:
Of course it is.

Like I said, it's not that Apple needs the money. It's that third parties do. If macOS costs money again (and iOS costs money for the first time other than those weird iPod touch upgrades), it sends a signal that it's OK for software to cost money.

Right now, it's all "but iOS is free! but Facebook is free! but these games are free-to-play!".

I mean, not to rehash the "if you're not paying, you're the product" argument, but…
Meh, I don’t buy this argument, not even for a second. Good apps cost money, and it shows in overall app quality more times than not. Anyone who is happy with apps that sell their info for the use, that’s how they are paying, that is the users choice. If the person is offended that “free” apps are selling their data, the only person they have to blame is themselves.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-01-13, 16:52

So this big announcement was the Atlanta project? Cool. At least they aren't keeping their war chest all to themselves.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-01-13, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So this big announcement was the Atlanta project? Cool. At least they aren't keeping their war chest all to themselves.
Well, they made that 100 million in the time it took you to type your reply, so … meh.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-01-13, 19:17

While it's not technically exciting, I think it's an absolutely fabulous project for those of us who live in Wakanda.

Improve the world when you can.