Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

USB Networking?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB Networking?
iCraig

2006-02-12, 08:51

Hi all,

I am looking into USB Networking between the 2 Mac's I have, I only have this option due to my Ethernet port being taken up my my cable broadband and with me having an eMac theres only one port and no way of upgrading as far as I know.

I want to connect the eMac to my PowerMac 7200, which I want to use as a small web/file server as I think thats all its good for in this day and age.

And I am wondering If I can go about this in anyway, bar buying a router which I don't have the funds for anyway.

Any ideas?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-02-12, 09:52

Your best option is probably a USB to Ethernet adapter. There are Mac OS X drivers for most adapters.

You could also get a router/switch for your cable connection which would make things a lot easier in general.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 12:40

A router shouldn't set you back that much - you should be able to pick up a wired D-Link or Netgear 4-port broadband router for around $40 US. Linksys might be a little more, but not much. Or look for a used one on eBay.