Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cars
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-05-18, 14:39

The Movie, not the pop group, (reunited with todd rundgren, in place of ocasek? what's that about?)

It opens June 9th, and I've talked to a couple of people who've seen it and they are pretty ga-ga over it.
One friend said "Remember when you first saw Toy Story? It's like that all over again." meaning that it raises the bar in animation quite a bit.
When I first saw the NASCAR sequence in the preview, I thought it looked pretty special.

But speaking of NASCAR, they are going to be involved in the promotion of the movie pretty heavily, and I was in Target & Toys 'r' Us looking for birthday party presents and there are CARS toys everywhere, it looks like they are trying to do a Hot Wheels kind of thing with it.

And I just got back from the market and in all the General Mills cereals are promoting it as well.

I'm wondering if a lot of this promotion was planned before Pixar joined the Disney fold, and Disney was going over the top because Pixar was leaving. (this promo stuff is planned over a year in advance.) I also wonder if this will be the norm for all the future Pixar releases. Or maybe I'm just imagining that this one is getting a larger push than previous Pixar films.

Anyway my bet is it will be the highest grossing movie not only of the summer but the year, not like that is going out on a limb so much.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
¡Damned!

2006-05-18, 14:48

I'm excited. I'll see it some weekday a couple of weeks after opening weekend, just to avoid the initial rush and inevitable show-talkers. The storyline and previews I've seen so far have left me with a kind of 'Meh', but I felt the same way before seeing Finding Nemo, so I'm sure I'll be delighted as usual.

What's more concerning to me is the other little bombshell you dropped...Rundgren instead of Ocasek?!? That's the first I've heard about it. WTF?

[edit]: OK....I just did some Googling...'The New Cars'? Orr is turning in his grave right now.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2006-05-18 at 14:57.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-05-18, 19:00

They just *had* to cast Larry the Cable Guy. It's a maybe for me at this point. At least he didn't attempt his own script this time. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised whenever I happen to see it. Someone will prolly talk me into going.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-18, 19:23

Ugh. The fact that Larry the Cable Guy is in it basically guarantees that I won't see it.

OK, I will. Pixar hasn't made a bad movie yet. But I swear, if Larry says "Git-r-done," or makes any sort of automotive pun about that phrase, I will walk out of the theatre.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-18, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
They just *had* to cast Larry the Cable Guy. It's a maybe for me at this point. At least he didn't attempt his own script this time. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised whenever I happen to see it. Someone will prolly talk me into going.
Somebody may talk me into not killing you for saying "prolly" even though it's not a word. Yes, I know it's not a big deal but it drives me nuts, kind of like iPOD drives Brad nuts.

Back on topic, though, I'll probably see the movie, but I'll wait until it's out on video. I'll only see it in the theater if it gets to the discount theater here in town (which is actually cheaper than renting).

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-05-18, 19:50

Prolly not gonna matter if you did correct him, he'll just do it again...

They didn't tug my heartstrings with 'The Incredibles' so I'm not sure that they'll do it with 'Cars'... might see it, might not....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-05-18, 20:03

Drew's right. I've typed it that way for years. And yes, I realize the word is probably. I won six consecutive spelling bees way back in elementary/middle school. I just don't care

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-18, 21:20

I'll definitely go see it.

Recently found out that Larry the Cable Guy grew up not far from where my aunt & uncle live, too. Now he makes sense... lol
SledgeHammer

2006-05-18, 23:07

I am a huge fan of Pixar's work. As before, the previews for Cars have left me thinking "meh, not sure," but I haven't been disappointed yet, so I'm excited.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-18, 23:18

I don't know if I'll see it. Seems targeted towards a younger audience than I care to be seen with in a movie theater. Perhaps a good DVD rent though.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-05-18, 23:19

I really hope it is good because the preview made it look like it had some potential! I hope it does "raise the bar" like Toy Story did because that was a great movie and it is about time for another great one like that!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-18, 23:24

Initially I wasn't excited about it. Then that most recent trailer kinda caught my attention. And yes, then I remember that Pixar tends to not make outright crap and has a pretty good track record with this sort of thing.

I'm sure I'll see it, especially as it becomes apparent how bad all the big, ultra-hyped "summer box office titans" are sucking beyond belief.

And I agree with SKMDC...it'll be the huge hit that carries the summer (not "DaVinci" - which I hear is not that good -, not "X Men", not "Superman Returns", etc.).

As for that little Cars (the band) tidbit, wow.

What about Benjamin Orr? Who's replacing him (he's dead, you know).

MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-05-18, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACleod
I really hope it is good because the preview made it look like it had some potential! I hope it does "raise the bar" like Toy Story did because that was a great movie and it is about time for another great one like that!
I'm sure it will. It's the return of John Lasseter! (directing)
SKMDC

2006-05-19, 08:49

I had to google Larry the Cable Guy as I'd never heard of him. They got Paul Newman as well so that has to balance things out.

IMDb now lists Lasseter as the TOY STORY 3 writer and says it's in production.

¡Damned!

2006-05-19, 08:58

IIRC, before the whole Disney/Pixar thing was hashed out Disney had made it known they were planning a Toy Story 3 (since they owned the character rights or some such madness). I'm relieved that Lasseter is back at the helm.

So it goes.
CoolToddHunter

Send a message via AIM to CoolToddHunter  
2006-05-19, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
They didn't tug my heartstrings with 'The Incredibles' so I'm not sure that they'll do it with 'Cars'... might see it, might not....
You unfeeling bastard!
I still get a little misty on that one...

I'm sure I'll go see it, though the previews haven't left me hopeful as to another "Incredibles" or "Toy Story".
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-05-19, 10:00

I'm pretty sure I read that Toy Story 3 was canned pretty much the second Lasseter walked into Disney as their mucho importante hombre.

Anyway, Pixar's teasers and trailer have always been really meh in my opinion, but the films themselves have been anywhere between great and amazing. Such it is with Cars I suspect.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-19, 10:15

There's an opinion shared by many movie buffs that in general, the more they show you in the preview, the worse the film is. Good movies don't need 5 minute trailers to get you interested, and they prefer to save the really good stuff for the actual movie. Pixar has been good at not giving up too much with it's previews.

I didn't find the previews for The Incredibles or Finding Nemo to be too enticing, but I loved both movies. I am optimistic that I will feel the same way with Cars, despite the inclusion of Larry the Moron.
SKMDC

2006-05-19, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
I'm pretty sure I read that Toy Story 3 was canned pretty much the second Lasseter walked into Disney as their mucho importante hombre.

Anyway, Pixar's teasers and trailer have always been really meh in my opinion, but the films themselves have been anywhere between great and amazing. Such it is with Cars I suspect.
Every one WAS fired and all of TS3 scrapped after the buyout, sounds like Lasseter had the script in a drawer, this looks to be the first Pixar under Disney release, scheduled for 2008.

I thought the Incredibles trailer looked funny to me, but I didn't see it's appeal to kids, I think maybe that is intentional, we're the ones that have to buy the tickets.

SKMDC

2006-05-19, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
despite the inclusion of Larry the Moron.
Jeez, he starts his webpage with a grandma fart joke.

I refuse to link it, Google it yourself if that's your cup of tea.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 16:42

I like that they cast the guys from Car Talk. That gives me a reason to go see the movie.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-05-20, 20:23

Who wants to bet that it has that old "in cars" pop song in it?

I have no clue what the lyrics are, or who sings it. But it's a relatively retro song, and it goes "in ca-ars" in this sort of stacatto voice. At least, that's what it sounds like.

But it will be in this movie. I promise.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-05-20, 20:33

Gary Neumann, I think - "Cars" was the song and album title.

I owned it on vinyl when I was in highschool - yeah, I'm pretty old
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Gary Neumann, I think - "Cars" was the song and album title.

I owned it on vinyl when I was in highschool - yeah, I'm pretty old
Wow... vinyl... you are an old bastard.

But yes, the song title was just "Cars". Cheesiest song ever, and I love it for that.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-05-20, 20:43

I believe you are referring to this. Enjoy.

And I think it's off The Pleasure Principle.

Quote:
Cars

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Here in my car
I can only receive
I can listen to you
It keeps me stable for days
In cars

Here in my car
The image breaks down
Will you visit me please
If I open my door
In cars

Here in my car
I know I've started to think
About leaving tonight
Although nothing seems right
In cars

Last edited by Foj : 2006-05-20 at 21:02.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-05-20, 21:33

I feel so old.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-21, 07:26

An old band of mine used to play that. Fun song, easy to play, people dig it, neat hook, etc.

That was one of the first mp3 files I ever had (pre-iTunes). That and some Outfield song.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-05-21, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
Every one WAS fired and all of TS3 scrapped after the buyout, sounds like Lasseter had the script in a drawer, this looks to be the first Pixar under Disney release, scheduled for 2008.
Yep...

Ratatouille (2007)
Toy Story 3 (2008)
v.noir

2006-05-21, 08:42

Gary Numan is genius. That was the birth of music. There was nothing before that, it was all just tuning up.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-21, 09:56

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I kinda feel the same way about Ashlee Simpson.