Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Your voting experience

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Your voting experience
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
EmC

2004-11-02, 09:08

I just stood outside for an hour to vote. I got there before the polls opened. Overall it was very smooth. I did see a few people who thought they were registered in my district but the election officials were able to look-up the information about where they ere registered to vote. Very large turn out, and it is a small rural town. Never seen that many people, ever!

Please do not mention who you are voting for or turn this into a thread that needs to be locked. Simply comment on your voting experience.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-02, 09:24

You want to know my "voting experience"? Okay...

I'm shocked at how "complicated" the process seems to so many. Otherwise intelligent adults (they can hold a job, raise some kids, pay bills, etc. I'm assuming?) just lose their entire mind when it comes to this.

It was like herding cats this morning, and hearing some of the outright dumbest questions (yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question, regardless of what that old saying says).

Glad it's over.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-02, 09:27

"People scare me"

lol
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-02, 09:38

Do tell pscates! I'm curious to see just what is so difficult about taking your pen and mashing it in the spot next to your favorite candidate's name.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2004-11-02, 09:38

I did the early voting thing last Friday. It was pretty bad. I stood in line for 3 hours 15 minutes so that I could use one of those Diebold pieces of junk to vote. The whole touch screen thingie seemed to be having issues because it was difficult to activate a vote by touching the screen. You had to push real hard to get it to work. I also got sunburned from standing out in the sun for so long.

The best thing about the whole voting process was that some enterprising kid went to Little Caesars and bought a bunch of pizza's and was walking up and down the long line of voters selling pizza and water. Very smart kid.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-11-02, 09:42

All I know is, after the disgrace in Florida in 2000, I saw on the news last night that OHIO - of all places - has a huge number of polls that are using PUNCH CARDS.

What the fuck?! You've had four YEARS to make a better system, and all your elected officials can come up with is punch cards and [a bunch of people to hassle voters at the polls (the point of the people who take your registration card and give you your ballot is to verify the legitimacy of your registration... the idea that you need more people to "stop fraud" is BS IMO)]?

I mean, when you think about it, they stopped using punch cards in standardized high school testing a long time ago. But we can't our voting system updated in this country? Not sure we're in a position to be lecturing ANYONE on the merits of democracy when we can't even get it right here, in certain respects.

Between the electoral college, punch cards and all the rest, we have a pretty half-assed implementation (even if we do have the historical experience).

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2004-11-02 at 18:42.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-11-02, 09:46

haven't voted yet, but i walked by apparently some voting place. there was a line outside. not looking forward to how much of a line i'll have to face. i got a question fer ya's: anyone know of a website that i can go to that'll tell me where i go to vote? i remember http://www.myPollingPlace.com/ but it isn't working for me now.
EmC

2004-11-02, 09:48

Yeah, I attempted to vote early. We could only do it at the court house. Apparently they were not expecting that big of a turn out and only set up three machines, lines around the block and into the courtyard. I decided I would just get up early and be there when they opened this morning. It was a better choice in the long run. I heard that some were standing outside for four hours. Turnout is going to be huge. I want my candidate to win, but it makes me even more excited that people are getting out to vote. Too many people died to give us this right, and too many people are too quick to piss all over that one.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-02, 09:48

went in, no line. easy as pie. hadn't registered since we moved last year, registration took about 5 min.

all in all a straightforward, simple process.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-11-02, 09:52

thuh Freak - Make sure you smoke a fat one before you go..

But seriously you all.....

Good Luck.......

Wish I was there and could experience the Republican heavies hassling African-Americans and Hispanics in the queues....

I've never seen a 'Chad' - but would like to.

My fingers are crossed for a brighter future and lower oil prices for all!!!

Bit cheesed that Bush has won the 'weather-vane' state.... Bummer!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-11-02, 09:53

last two post: emc and alcimides
good
and
good

great people are voting....we should have a month to vote in every state and getting the percent of people voting as close to 100% as we can...then it would truely be the people choosing

great that the process was easy...you should be able to register and vote the same day...

we need to make voting as easy as possible to include all of our wonderful citizens

god bless and good night

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
bauman

2004-11-02, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
All I know is, after the disgrace in Florida in 2000, I saw on the news last night that OHIO - of all places - has a huge number of polls that are using PUNCH CARDS.

What the fuck?! You've had four YEARS to make a better system, and all your elected officials can come up with is punch cards and a bunch of people to haggle registered voters at the poll? Actually that last part is a GOP scheme, but still.

L-A-M-E.

I mean, when you think about it, they even stopped using punch cards in standardized high school testing a long time ago. But we can't our voting system updated in this country? Not sure we're in a position to be lecturing ANYONE on the merits of democracy when we can't even get it right here, in certain respects.

Between the electoral college, punch cards and all the rest, we have a pretty half-assed implementation (even if we do have the historical experience).
Several of my friends are from Ohio, and their absentee ballots were absolutely amazing. They were punch cards, and really quite impossible to understand.

As for me, I voted in PA by absentee, and everything went well. The ballot was clear, and will be hand counted - it was simply had boxes next to candidates' names that you checked.

Of all the absentee ballots I saw in my house (8 of us are from out of state), mine was certainly the clearest. The next best kind was a complete the arrow scantron type from Iowa.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-02, 10:03

Hey guys, try to keep the political bickering out of here, mmkay? That means you, Moogs and scratt. I don't want this thread to degenerate. It's one thing to discuss butterfly ballots, but leave the accusations to a different forum.
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 10:12

Wha! Me! Ooops! Sorry Luca.......
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-11-02, 10:23

Relatively smooth for me outside of the 1.5 hour wait on Friday. The ballots were pretty clear. We had the connect the broken arrow line thing. This was in NC.

I'm worried about the Ohio "harassing voters" thing, though. Apparently it's a bi-partisan effort to fuck with voters' minds.
Akumulator

2004-11-02, 10:25

The entire process took me only 15 minutes.

Diebold electronic ballot.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-02, 11:17

The process took me 10 minutes at the most. My dad picked me up from college, we went to the little church in our home town, I signed in and then voted. We had punch cards, and it was honestly the easiest thing in the world. If someone has a problem with punch cards, they deserve to be punched.

I thought it was interesting that the Republican party was below the Democratic party on the ballot, it turns out that ballot positioning is determined by drawing straws. Oh well, Bush got his little vote from me.

I did however, vote for a few democrats in the state elections.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-11-02, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
The entire process took me only 15 minutes.

Diebold electronic ballot.
You know you can write your votes down on a piece of paper if you don't trust the machine right?

Of course it's too late for you now ... but someone else might need to know this.

I'll be voting this afternoon once I get home from work so I have no anecdotal evidence; yet.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
I did however, vote for a few democrats in the state elections.
<gasps!!!>

Could our little hardcore republican be growing up?

I kid, I kid cause I love! Going to vote right now actually. I'll let y'all know how Chicago is treating its voters.

Come waste your time with me
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I'm worried about the Ohio "harassing voters" thing, though. Apparently it's a bi-partisan effort to fuck with voters' minds.
shhh!
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-11-02, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
You know you can write your votes down on a piece of paper if you don't trust the machine right?

Of course it's too late for you now ... but someone else might need to know this.
i read somewhere that there are a few places that you are required to use the diebolds. that paper votes won't be counted. idk fer sure tho. anyone who's wary of the diebolds should definitely ask the voting help dood at the polling place.
autodata
hustlin

2004-11-02, 11:38

Long line. I was in there ~9:30 and they said the number of voters had already gone way over what they normally get all day. Heavily democratic area.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-11-02, 11:47

Absolutely no wait, walked in, was 534, and some years they only get 300 people.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-11-02, 12:02

early voter...

but early voting was jammed this year

i waited about 30 minutes to vote, but that was two weeks ago...since then everyone has had to wait an hour or so to early vote...no idea how it is going today...

hoping for a huge turnout...i know that we had double the people voting in the primaries than they expected and i waited 2 hours to vote back then...maybe it won't be as close as people think

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-02, 12:07

It's hard to say whether a large turnout favors one party over the other. Conventional thinking would be that a large turn-out would favor the change that the challenger represents. However, the distinct differences between the two candidates can rally supporters from both sides, and those normally apathetic conservatives and liberals will come out of the wood-work to cast their votes.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 12:08

Quick, easy, painless. No line, walked right in, gave my name and ID, and voila, got handed a ballot to mark up.

I dru purty piktures.
¡Damned!

2004-11-02, 12:31

About an hour line. Punch card system. Pretty clear ballot (Michigan). Piece of cake.

[edit]: although....I was a little miffed to find a Proposal that got absolutely NO press coverage whatsoever ('defining' marriage amendment). Evil fuckers.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2004-11-02 at 12:40.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-11-02, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuh Freak
haven't voted yet, but i walked by apparently some voting place. there was a line outside. not looking forward to how much of a line i'll have to face. i got a question fer ya's: anyone know of a website that i can go to that'll tell me where i go to vote? i remember http://www.myPollingPlace.com/ but it isn't working for me now.
This one might be a helpful place to start:

http://www.lwv.org/voter/deadlines.cfm?pid=contacts

OR...google for the League of Women Voters listing for your state.

New York?

http://www.lwvny.org/voters_guide_04.htm

Last edited by Windswept : 2004-11-02 at 13:08.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-11-02, 13:09

I’m glad to see so many of the AppleNova U.S. regulars voting! The rest of us are thinking of you on this important day.

I am hoping for a clear result and one that is accepted graciously by the winners and the losers. My thoughts especially for the winners: with views on both sides so divided in this election, I am hoping for a government that governs taking into account the opinions and interests on both sides. In the midst of all this, how about four years of governing from the centre?

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-11-02, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
This one might be a helpful place to start:

http://www.lwv.org/voter/deadlines.cfm?pid=contacts

OR...google for the League of Women Voters listing for your state.

New York?

http://www.lwvny.org/voters_guide_04.htm
thanks. turns out it was my internet connection. mypollingplace.com worked for me shortly after posting that.