User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

A look ahead -- Which Intel chip to go with?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A look ahead -- Which Intel chip to go with?
oli84

2005-07-01, 14:54

I know this is still a little far ahead, but we know about Intel's CPU roadmap, right now with the Pentium M (Dothan), then Yonah (32-bit dual core), then Merom (64-bit dual core, new architecture), then the next chip (not sure what name but it uses CSI, an improved type of FSB). These chips (probably not Dothan) are likely to make it into the Powerbook.

For those who know about the specs on these chips, which would represent the biggest [expected] leap in terms of improvement over its predecessor? I'm guessing it's the Merom, as it's a completely new architecture more or less based on the Pentium III. Intel ditched the Pentium 4's NetBurst architecture for this new approach. It's considered the next generation of Pentium-M, as opposed to the Dothan, which was an evolution from Banias, the original Pentium M core.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by oli84 : 2005-07-01 at 14:56.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2005-07-01, 17:12

If Merom is indeed %30 faster per clock than Dothan then that bodes well for Conroe and Woodcrest as well as Apple's second generation Powerbooks.

CSI will be ok but it's Intel's version of Hypertransport and I doubt it makes a huge difference but it'll help. iAMT2 sounds like it may be remotely interesting. I'm into management of computers and having some decent stuff built in is nice.

omgwtfbbq
oli84

2005-07-01, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison
If Merom is indeed %30 faster per clock than Dothan then that bodes well for Conroe and Woodcrest as well as Apple's second generation Powerbooks.

CSI will be ok but it's Intel's version of Hypertransport and I doubt it makes a huge difference but it'll help. iAMT2 sounds like it may be remotely interesting. I'm into management of computers and having some decent stuff built in is nice.
What is iAMT2?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-02, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman
Again, a few doors down there are many posts about this:
None of which that actually address the specific issue in the original post here. That's why this thread isn't being locked.
Electric Monk

2005-07-02, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli84
For those who know about the specs on these chips, which would represent the biggest [expected] leap in terms of improvement over its predecessor? I'm guessing it's the Merom, as it's a completely new architecture more or less based on the Pentium III. Intel ditched the Pentium 4's NetBurst architecture for this new approach. It's considered the next generation of Pentium-M, as opposed to the Dothan, which was an evolution from Banias, the original Pentium M core.
Just a correction, the entire Pentium-M series are based on the Pentium III core.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2005-07-02, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli84
What is iAMT2?
It's Intel's next version of their remote management. Think of it as hardware support for management and recovery that something like Apple Remote Desktop 3 could take advantage of.

omgwtfbbq
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-07-06, 01:12

It looks like that the Merom, will be the biggest move. First pentium 3 64 bit derivated core.
That's said, we did not see many 64 bit software on a mac ...
Anthem

2005-07-06, 10:55

Your biggest boost is going to come from whatever's next after the 65nm process. Yonah is, right now, being built on 65nm, and they're getting a lot of traction from that.

The only advantage Intel has over AMD is in their fabs. AMD's best and brightest is still built on 90nm.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-07-06, 11:20

Intel will come out with an altogether new processor to use in the Mac: bioneural gelpacks.
oli84

2005-07-13, 14:59

So which one will it be?

Does Yonah provide a bigger jump due to its 65nm fabrication process, or is it the Merom with its 64-bit capabilities?

Just to get an idea, how much has 64-bit been used, and is it likely to be widely used in the lifetime of a processor such as Merom?
JayReding

2005-07-13, 16:27

Apple will probably go with the Yonah, at least at first. 64-bit doesn't give you much advantage at the moment - unless you're needing to allocate huge heaps of memory, allocating the extra memory for every 64-bit pointer can potentially slow things down. For a laptop, having like the Yonah with better heat dissapation is a better bet than raw power.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-07-14, 03:13

I disagree. I think Apple will only go for 64 bit chips. They have been ramming 64 bit down our neck for a long time now and they demoed that mathamatica proggy on stage that has got to be a 64 bit app.

I think anything less would be a step backwards.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Kyros

2005-07-15, 18:49

Not necessarily backwards, the G4 is also 32-bit. Apple will go with the 64-bit processor if it ends up being in their best interest. This means either the chip is better in other ways as well, or Apple thinks 64-bit will be important in the near future, since 64-bit nowadays doesn't really mean all that much other than lots of memory.