Toy Story 3
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-05-29, 19:06

For all that is good and holy, why?

Why must Disney ruin everything?

Unless it's a dark reboot focusing on the drug addled lives of our favorite toys in a post-apocalyptic nuclear winterland...

that might be enjoyable.

next up ratatouille in nyc, meets a nice subway rat, gets riv, dies.

and we cannot forget wall-e, where forty years in the future we see the same scenes from the beginning of the original for two hours.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-05-29, 19:18

Quote:
and we cannot forget wall-e, where forty years in the future we see the same scenes from the beginning of the original for two hours.
I think I might be losing it...it is Friday afternoon after all...but I don't understand that sentence....?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-29, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post

I don't know. I'm not a fan of an increased reliance on sequels (see: Cars 2) but...Toy Story 2 was ok!

Seriously, though. TS2 is usually considered one of the best sequels ever, and is one of the highest rated films ever at RT. I'm willing to give Pixar the benefit of the doubt with this one - it is, after all, their "flagship" franchise.

Cars 2, well, I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, so I'm not as optimistic there. But the kiddies will love it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-29, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I think I might be losing it...it is Friday afternoon after all...but I don't understand that sentence....?
He's talking about ways to make Pixar films depressing. In Ratatouille, Remy would get a disease, in Wall-E, we would just see mountains of garbage (like in the opening) for two hours, etc. It was some sort of joke about Batman-style "dark" reboots, I think...?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-29, 19:35

Yeah, but the first hour of Wall-E was the best part!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-29, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah, but the first hour of Wall-E was the best part!
I love all of Wall-E but I sort of have to agree there. And that part had virtually no dialogue - just animation.

Really, really f'ing good animation.

This thread opens up old wounds. Wall-E deserved Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire? Really?

I just don't think, fifty years on, that one will have stood the test of time. It's just not as universal.

Or...good.

Foj
Veteran Member

2009-05-29, 19:57

Well it did at least get Best Animated Picture.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-29, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
Well it did at least get Best Animated Picture.
...and that's why I hate that award.

People complain about documentaries and foreign films being marginalized with their own dedicated awards, too. But I think the BAP award is even worse because it's so arbitrary. It's not like animation dictates a totally different type of film, like documentaries do (that's non-fiction vs. fiction). It just means the image was produced a certain way. That's it. You can make an animated horror film or an animated drama - hell, an animated documentary, even! So it makes no sense for it to have its own award. (Yes, technically an animated film could still be nominated for BP, just as a documentary can, but I don't think that's ever going to happen - if it would have happened, it would have happened last year.)

In Wall-E's case, BAP was basically a non-award. There was no contest - what, they were honestly going to give it to Kung Fu Panda? Even DreamWorks knew not to hope for that. The fact that there was no legitimate contest suggests that maybe Wall-E should have been allowed to compete with the "real films" for BP, but instead I'd wager BAP played a role in keeping Wall-E from scoring a BP nod. If the award hadn't been created, I think Wall-E would have been nominated.

I'd support a Best Animation award, just as there's an award for Costume Design and Visual Effects. But BAP?

An award intended to promote animation has done just the opposite, IMO.

billybobsky
BANNED

2009-05-29, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
He's talking about ways to make Pixar films depressing. In Ratatouille, Remy would get a disease, in Wall-E, we would just see mountains of garbage (like in the opening) for two hours, etc. It was some sort of joke about Batman-style "dark" reboots, I think...?
I am talking about making sequels good... The problem with all cartoon sequels to date is that they try to distill the essence of the original and as a result become happier unaffected things. No, sequels of cartoons need to become dark depressing brooding things.

can you tell I have had a shit week? in a shit year? in a shit decade? it certainly doesn't help things that i no longer can vent to my girlfriend as she is now an ex...
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-29, 20:59

From the Disney vaults!

Snow White and the Surviving Dwarves

Little Mermaid 3: The Harrowing of Atlantis

The Lion Bloodthirsty Autocrat

Mary Poppins On Asphalt
billybobsky
BANNED

2009-05-29, 21:11

addabox gets it...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-05-30, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post

Unless it's a dark reboot focusing on the drug addled lives of our favorite toys in a post-apocalyptic nuclear winterland...

that might be enjoyable.

next up ratatouille in nyc, meets a nice subway rat, gets riv, dies.

errr Disney didn't ruin anything. Pixar killed Disney's version and developed their own with their own script.

I expect it to be outstanding.

As for Cars 2, Pixar has already responded to the concern and criticism about it, and said the only reason why they decided to do it was because they truly believe they have a better script than the first Cars.
Axl

2009-05-30, 03:53

Quote:
This thread opens up old wounds. Wall-E deserved Best Picture. Slumdog Millionaire? Really?

Slumdog Millionaire's win was a statement saying "hey India, we need your funding!"

Economically speaking Asia is on the rise and America on the decline, so Hollywood's lookin' ahead.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-05-30, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl View Post
Slumdog Millionaire's win was a statement saying "hey India, we need your funding!"

Economically speaking Asia is on the rise and America on the decline, so Hollywood's lookin' ahead.
Lemme know when I can drink the water.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-30, 06:00

Not really feeling Toy Story...I had high hopes for Wall-E, but it was sort of a letdown for me.

Up on the other hand, going to see that in the morning.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-05-30, 07:49

One of the main reasons for the Disney/Pixar dustup a few year back was TS3. Pixar left Disney's distro and Disney announced they were going to make TS3 without Pixar as per their contract agreement. Then Disney bought Pixar and Pixar people are now running Disney's animation department. The first thing they did was throw out the TS3 script and all the work they'd done on it, and started from scratch so it's in good hands now.
The next Disney hand-drawn film is The Frog Prince story retold as The Princess & The Frog is the first under the aegis of Lasseter/Pixar, and is so well thought of it's being saved until December, and will be a huge hit for the main reason that Oprah is in it and she will tell her people to go see it, and see it again, again.......yes Oprah we will see it.......

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
addabox
Veteran Member

2009-05-30, 10:51

Toy Story 3 teaser trailer up at Apple: http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney...ser_large.html

I think it's interesting that the Toy Story franchise has an iconic look (brighter, flatter lighting, more primary colors, less intricately detailed surfaces than subsequent Pixar releases) that has as much to do with the limits of what they could do when they made the original as anything else, but which they're sticking with as a matter of production design. Although subtly inflected, of course-- there's a moment in the teaser when the slinky dog slingshots herself out of the frame and Woody does one of those little "that must hurt" reactions that would have been beyond the limited polygon counts of the first version.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-30, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I had high hopes for Wall-E, but it was sort of a letdown for me.

Up on the other hand, going to see that in the morning.
Really? I had high expectations for Wall-E and came away pretty satisfied, but nothing so far about Up has gotten me really intrigued. The earlier trailer that just showed the old guy lifting off with the kid on the porch looked kind of interesting, but the subsequent more adventuresome trailer(s) have made it seem like any other campy "lets go somewhere and encounter some silly hijinks along the way" summer movie, not necessarily anything of real substance like most other Pixar movies.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 15:22

Quote:
Really? I had high expectations for Wall-E and came away pretty satisfied, but nothing so far about Up has gotten me really intrigued. The earlier trailer that just showed the old guy lifting off with the kid on the porch looked kind of interesting, but the subsequent more adventuresome trailer(s) have made it seem like any other campy "lets go somewhere and encounter some silly hijinks along the way" summer movie, not necessarily anything of real substance like most other Pixar movies.
Ding ding ding. I'm still going to see it, and I'm sure it'll still be good, but I'm not expecting Wall-E here.
¡Damned!

2009-05-30, 16:57

I have higher expectations for Up than I did for Wall*E. I honestly think this is going to be Pixar's masterpiece, and throw a real wrench into the assumptions that an animated picture shouldn't be able to garner the "Best Picture" AW (Roboman = ). Truly.

From what little I've heard it's not a "kids movie" and is fairly dark for a mainstream animation.

So it goes.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-30, 16:59

The story ended up being incredibly bleak. Every character other than Wall-E and Eve was forgettable, and even they were handcuffed with non-speaking roles. There's only so much you can get out of "Waaaaaalleeeee" and "Eeeeeeve" repeated 1000x throughout a film.

Up on the other hand, if you actually read about it...there's a real plot to it that gets revealed in the first moments of the movie.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-30, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I have higher expectations for Up than I did for Wall*E. I honestly think this is going to be Pixar's masterpiece, and throw a real wrench into the assumptions that an animated picture shouldn't be able to garner the "Best Picture" AW (Roboman = ). Truly.

From what little I've heard it's not a "kids movie" and is fairly dark for a mainstream animation.
Yep, yep!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 17:14

Quote:
The story ended up being incredibly bleak. Every character other than Wall-E and Eve was forgettable, and even they were handcuffed with non-speaking roles. There's only so much you can get out of "Waaaaaalleeeee" and "Eeeeeeve" repeated 1000x throughout a film.
But...the entire point of the film was...it was all about nonverbal...aaaah!!! *brain explodes, leaves mess*
¡Damned!

2009-05-30, 17:20

Well, I'd wholeheartedly agree with the idea that the first part of Wall*E was the best, but I enjoyed the movie as a whole. Really, I thought it was more interesting because of the whole retelling/reinvention of the Eden mythology. I never imagined Pixar would go to a place like that conceptually, but I think it worked.

So it goes.
feidhlim1986

2009-05-30, 18:15

I liked Cars, I dunno why it gets such a bad rap. I'd put Cars ahead of The Incredibles any day. I would prefer Pixar not to do Cars 2 though. Toy Story 1 & 2 are classics and I hope they do more of the same with Toy Story 3.

Pixar are re-releasing 1 & 2 in Cinemas in 3D-Only around in November & Spring to lead up to 3 in June '10

USA gets UP this weekend I think, we dont get until October

Wall*E was fantastic, defo in my Top 3 Pixar Movies
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 19:02

Pixar's pre-Cars films are finally hitting Blu-ray, by the way. A Bug's Life just came out, and a 3-disc (!) set for Monsters Inc. is supposed to be out in November (although Amazon doesn't currently list a date). I'd imagine they'll release TS and TS2 on Blu-ray after their 3D cinema releases, leading up to TS3.

That would just leave Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. One in late 2010, one in early 2011 and then my collection can be complete. Finally. (Only took them half a decade...)

In case anyone is wondering:

Snow White Blu-ray: October 2009
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray: Spring 2010
Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray: October 2010

With three Disney re-releases (including B&TB!) and the strong possibility of three Pixar re-releases, 2010 is looking to be the best year for animated Blu-rays since ever. It almost makes me forgive the cancellation of Fantasia 2006/2010, almost.

Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-30, 20:31

Quote:
But...the entire point of the film was...it was all about nonverbal...aaaah!!! *brain explodes, leaves mess*
No, that wasn't the point...it was a stylistic choice...it made sense to do, but it was still a handcuff. That was the whole they dug for themselves. The point of the movie was to give robots sentience and personality.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 20:45

Quote:
No, that wasn't the point...it was a stylistic choice...it made sense to do, but it was still a handcuff. That was the whole they dug for themselves. The point of the movie was to give robots sentience and personality.
...and to give them a personality unique to robots, without making them seem like mechanical people.

Do you think it's a coincidence that none of the robot characters in Wall-E have mouths, or mouth analogues?

The conceptual crux of the movie was a love story between two robots. The artistic crux of the movie was using animation, not merely words, to make the robots seem like emotional beings. And the thematic crux of the movie was an ecological theme.

They all worked together beautifully. The non-verbal communication allowed Wall-E and Eve to express their feelings in a uniquely robotic way, and the lack of reliance of dialogue underscored the universality of the film's message.

If the lack of dialogue in the film was some tacked-on effort to make the film feel high-brow, you might have a point. But it's integral to the film. I mean, can you even imagine watching the film with Wall-E and Eve conversing fluently throughout? It would be a totally different picture. And a much less successful one, IMO.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-05-30, 21:49

Quote:
You really haven't caught on that Pixar's trailers are never very good things to judge the movies by? Judge all books by their covers?

Up was outstanding, definitely in the top 3 Pixar movies. Great movie all around. Animation was beautiful, and the writing was terrific and smart.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-30, 22:07

Quote:
If the lack of dialogue in the film was some tacked-on effort to make the film feel high-brow, you might have a point. But it's integral to the film. I mean, can you even imagine watching the film with Wall-E and Eve conversing fluently throughout? It would be a totally different picture. And a much less successful one, IMO.
It's the crux of the movie and it was executed very well, but that doesn't make the movie a masterpiece. I'm not asking for Wall-E to have dialogue...I'm saying the movie was handicapped because they had to do things a certain way. As for Up, I rarely agree with Brave Ulysses, but it's definitely in my top 3...the other two being Ratatouille and Finding Nemo.