AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Applenova 1.6: With a Vengeance!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Applenova 1.6: With a Vengeance!
Page 7 of 8 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-19, 13:08

Oh! I guess I should look into updating us to 1.6.4 soonish. Thanks for the heads-up. I wouldn't have noticed quickly because I don't normally use the official launcher.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-19, 14:00

Looks like it might be a few days before we update. Bukkit doesn't even have development builds ready yet for 1.6.4.

We will probably also be waiting a while when 1.7 drops because Mojang is doing some significant code refactoring. Hopefully the Bukkit dev team is already hard at work with the snapshot releases.

Hmm... Now that I look at it that way, I wonder if the Bukkit team will just skip 1.6.4 and hold off until 1.7. I haven't seen any announcements either way.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-19, 21:19

Screw that, will you be at PiratePalooza™ #9 on Saturday?
You can help out with the booth again! No creepers!

Lynn Nexus

2013-09-20, 09:54

You don't wanna hold off on 1.6.4 cus it's a minor change but it will save our generated structures. If you were to migrate to 1.7 right now the nether fortress (and possibly villages and definitely witch huts) that you'd already visited would poof. course I'm not sure that there are any structures that we need to save : / BUT YEA.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-20, 10:29

Right... I just read about the details last night and it's a rather strange fix. Apparently the structures are retained today just fine. The specific problem is that the metadata that marks those structures as regions where certain mob types can spawn (such as blazes in nether fortresses) is not retained before 1.6.4, and Mojang was too lazy to write a migration into the 1.7 update (despite having done this several times before).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-20, 12:29

Good news! There are now Bukkit dev builds of 1.6.4. I'll review and probably update the server later tonight.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-09-24, 18:04

So, I haven't updated bukkit to 1.6.4 yet because a few things are still lingering on 1.6.2 updates. Fortunately, it's easy to keep using 1.6.2.

But I have good news: our world finally has a name!

After much pondering and debate, this world and the town therein are now officially named: Cashout Cove

¡Damned!

2013-09-24, 18:13

The decision process leading to that name was utterly hilarious.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-24, 19:30

And the only way to find out is to log in and ask Grey?
¡Damned!

2013-09-26, 17:06

SpaceWalk ride is now functional, and almost finished:

I need to finesse the ground area and the captain's module, but the *ride* part of it is finished. There's a 20% chance you'll die – depending on how much you flail – but c'mon. We'd have it no other way, right?

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-01, 22:50

Stepped into nether portal and there was a ding dang nether version of a slime there - busted into a JILLION PIECES. Took me 5 hours to defeat them all, it was epic. I finally ended by claiming my prize, some Magnus Crepe!! Or whatever.

Epic.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2013-10-02, 21:51

I never even thought about asking this before, but what are we playing wrt baddies? Hard? Normal? ExtraHard?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-03, 20:42

Settings are hardcore = false and difficulty = 1.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-10-04, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So, I haven't updated bukkit to 1.6.4 yet because a few things are still lingering on 1.6.2 updates. Fortunately, it's easy to keep using 1.6.2.
I'm finally updating the server to 1.6.4 now. Hold onto your butts...

edit: Done. Looks like all is well. Don't forget to update your clients now!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-04, 15:47

How do I do that?

I tried renaming it, that doesn't work.

Is there a new extension I need to put on the end?

delphi

2013-10-04, 15:53

Change your profile, hit the edit profile button and select use version 1.6.4

Last edited by delphi : 2013-10-04 at 16:10.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-04, 16:12

Oh SNAP!!

¡Damned!

2013-10-15, 19:23

Phase 1 of the RC started!

Brad was having a laugh a few days ago about how many blocks of sod I had to lay for the park, and I said "pheh! wait until I start laying fences for the rollercoaster!" Um. That was meant to be somewhat of a joke, but now that I'm doing it it's serious fucking business.

3 stacks of raw wood make 8 stacks of fence. Raw. Wood. 8 stacks! Gah. Imma going to be spending all my bal on trees (and glowstone) apparently.

*edit: that curve above cost ~22 raw wood, if you were ever thinking about using fences for anything big.
*edit2: even as expensive as glowstone is, I think it's worth it for the night view. Just look at that light blend. So nice.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-10-16 at 11:28.
¡Damned!

2013-10-20, 18:36

The Twizzler:

It's attached to the rollercoaster, obviously, but I almost consider it a ride of its own. Bring your vomit bags guys and gals, this will make you entirely uncomfortable.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-10-20, 23:37

Looking good!

I only wish riding rails would automatically keep your eyes forward on the tracks. That would make the Twizzler an ever more awesome ride!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-21, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Looking good!

I only wish riding rails would automatically keep your eyes forward on the tracks. That would make the Twizzler an ever more awesome ride!
I never thought of that but you're right. It does seem odd that you don't turn your head with the direction of the minecart.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-21, 21:13

But it also allows you to look around while you ride normal minecarts, which is kind of nice... so is it really such a bad thing?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-10-21, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
But it also allows you to look around while you ride normal minecarts, which is kind of nice... so is it really such a bad thing?

...but when you ride a normal train your body stays place in the train other than you moving it. Your POV points the same in relation to the train around turns and hills and such. That would be more normal.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-21, 22:13

In other news Turtle can't afford the First Class car on his train

¡Damned!

2013-10-23, 22:22

Coal is priced obscenely. $25 for one piece? That's right up there with Mycelium at $1000000.

$5 would be more like it, or better yet, 10 for $50. Still expensive, but more in line with the rest of the mart pricing.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-11-13, 20:41

So I was out donkey hunting in the NW plains area and found a few horses. For now, a have a wild horse sanctuary next to my place. Please, no taming. Leave that for the guy that had to drag their dumb asses through the Nether while avoiding blazes. (sadly, not all of them returned intact ). I'll go through and check for the best ones and thin the herd a bit later.

Speaking of horses, I was reading up on speed and stats for the beasts, and it popped that an even faster transit system than minecarts between old 1.6 spawn and new 1.7 spawn would be horses. Maybe we have a corral with 4-6 horses at each end of the tunnel and just use them for back and forth. Sounds like it would be loads quicker and we wouldn't have to worry about blocked tracks or potentially crashing into someone on the way there/back. Just a thought.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2013-11-14, 19:53

Quick question for you torch placers: which side do you put the torches on when going into a fortress/cave to find your way out? I do "left in" (for the next dude), "right out". Is that what everyone else does?

Reason I ask is that I put a portal out at the Far East in order to find some goddamn rare as hell donkeys, and when I got to the spot in the Nether that I guessed was about right, there was a fortress in the distance. When I made my way out there I found it had already been mostly explored (by who and how I dunno, it's way the hell out), but the torches seemed backwards from what I normally do.

Am I the backwards one? Given, if it's a cave beneath my home I'll just place them willy-nilly and just remember landmarks, but I was trying to be a good citizen this time and I may have got it backwards.

So, what's the standard that you guys/gals use?

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-11-14, 21:47

I use precisely the opposite pattern: right on the way in, follow them on the left on the way out. I don't remember exploring any fortresses other than the one closest to the spawn portal, though.
¡Damned!

2013-11-14, 21:59

Ah. Maybe we should all adopt the same pattern? Right In, Left Out? I'm sure I could change my mental in/out remembering key. "Right in the hole, Left out of," umm.. hmm. I'll think of something.

"Left In" feels natural to me though because it reminds me of staying in my lane on the road. Not a wordly solution, obviously, so whatever the majority is used to I'll adopt.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-11-14, 22:08

I've been more of the no pattern at all method. Lots of torches and any way that seems good at the time. Getting out is a pain, but it happens every time.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.