Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

A FAQ for Aldo?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A FAQ for Aldo?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-11, 19:29

I found this nice link, which is fairly lengthy but comprehensive on how to post on the board smart. This got good reviews on another board I'm member of.

Would you like to have this as a sticky or as a offical FAQ for AN in lieu of VB's boilerplate FAQ?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-11, 22:49

The problem with FAQs is that the people in most need of them are least likely to read them.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-11, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
tl;dr

Plus what chucker said.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-11, 23:28

That's okay by me. I just liked the wording in the FAQs and did thought that some more relevant sections could be taken out and put into our FAQ.

Not that it will solve the problem Chucker pointed out, though. Unless we make it a mandatory reading by new member or something. (I recall that was discussed already before but can't recall the rationale for not doing so)
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-11, 23:40

A bit authoritarian this, and also it makes some work for the boards technical people, but..

What if we had a set of random questions from the FAQ, they could be multiple choices that are presented to new users.. Any new user could then be required to take this quiz at the point that they authenticate their account.
If they get the answers wrong the system will direct them to the FAQ and ask them to read it and try again.

It works as an effective further barrier to people who just join to SPAM, gives a feeling of accomplishment, and even if people only scan read the FAQ for answers to the questions then at least they are aware of it, and may have gleaned something.

People who are reasonably savvy may not even need to read the FAQ, which is also fine, as they obviously know how to behave in a forum..

I have seen this done on a couple of other sites..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-12, 03:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
tl;dr
Okay, here's a candidate for the 4th or 5th question on the misc. section of this hypothetical FAQ.

What's tl;dr?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-12, 04:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Okay, here's a candidate for the 4th or 5th question on the misc. section of this hypothetical FAQ.

What's tl;dr?
Are you asking, or are you stating a lot of people might be asking?

"too long; didn't read"
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-12, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Are you asking, or are you stating a lot of people might be asking?

"too long; didn't read"

I'm making superfluous banter as a means of eliciting a smarmy hacker response. RTFM.

Thanks for the info.