Toy Story 3
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
As for Up, I rarely agree with Brave Ulysses, but it's definitely in my top 3...the other two being Ratatouille and Finding Nemo.
I can't wait to see it then! Ratatouille, Finding Nemo and Wall-E are probably my top three. "Great minds" and all...

But that changes every time I watch the others

As for Up, I'm planning on catching a weekday matinee next week...the kiddies are still in school, right?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-05-30, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
You really haven't caught on that Pixar's trailers are never very good things to judge the movies by?
Huh? In the very post you quoted I said that I was looking forward to Wall-E before I saw it. That's based on pretty much just the official trailers and commercials, as I generally don't follow any insider news site, discussions, reviews, etc. about upcoming movies. Even with the recent Star Trek movie, I read almost nothing about the movie before I saw it for myself.

I'm not sure why you think Pixar's trailers are all bad. In the past, they've done a pretty good job of getting me interested in the films. That's why I expressed my doubts about Up: it's the first Pixar film in a while whose trailers didn't "sell it" for me.

I'm glad my impression from the trailers was probably wrong, though, and that you liked Up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-05-30, 22:51

Quote:
You really haven't caught on that Pixar's trailers are never very good things to judge the movies by? Judge all books by their covers?
In the case of a movie trailer, yeah. That's pretty much their sole job, isn't it...to make a movie look like something you'd want to see? That's it. It's pretty cut-and-dry. If a trailer doesn't grab me in some way (and I've got no built-in, previous interest via a book, earlier movie entry, or the movie is about something I'm into, etc.), chances are I won't see it.

That's not an outrageous, unheard-of thing. Plays out that way dozens of times a year, even with non-Pixar movies!

Like Brad, I'm not particularly intrigued or wound-up by the "Up" trailer. So what?

What am I supposed to do...go against my gut/honest impression and drop $8 on spec, just because "it's Pixar", and this is their latest "must-see" feature?

And if you want to get real literal about it, "judging a book by it's cover" (with its single-image, static and silent cover) isn't quite in the same ballpark as a moving, sound-enabled three-minute movie trailer, full of the best scenes, stunts, punchlines, etc. Those convey a lot more info and opportunities to "grab" you than a simple book cover ever could. So it's much easier - and sensible - to form an overall impression about a movie via a trailer because you're given a hell of a lot more to go on than a 7x9-inch jacket on a book. I've seen - and avoided - tons of movies over the years, solely based on the trailers.

So there.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-05-30 at 23:09.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-30, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
What am I supposed to do...go against my gut/honest impression and drop $8 on spec, just because "it's Pixar", and this is their latest "must-see" feature?
To be honest, I've done that every time and I've never ended up disappointed. I'd see Pixar movies without seeing the trailers first (in fact, I used to try to avoid seeing the trailers, until things like YouTube made it too hard to resist). But I'm an animation super-nerd, so...

I agree that the job of the trailer is to sell the movie, though. It is, after all, an advertisement.

(Best trailer for an animated film ever? Persepolis. I never get tired of watching it. It's a great film, too. )

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-05-30, 23:41

I heard about a screening of the first 15 minutes of Up (essentially setting up the adventure, about the old man's life) some months ago that got me very excited about it. Otherwise, with the occasional exception, I am in the Pixar-trailers-don't-get-me-excited-for-what-are-actually-good-films camp.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-05-31, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
In the case of a movie trailer, yeah. That's pretty much their sole job, isn't it...to make a movie look like something you'd want to see? That's it. It's pretty cut-and-dry. If a trailer doesn't grab me in some way (and I've got no built-in, previous interest via a book, earlier movie entry, or the movie is about something I'm into, etc.), chances are I won't see it.

That's not an outrageous, unheard-of thing. Plays out that way dozens of times a year, even with non-Pixar movies!

Like Brad, I'm not particularly intrigued or wound-up by the "Up" trailer. So what?

Uh yea......

Pixar trailers are notorious for making (some) people skeptical (probably because more so than the actual movie they are aimed at children and not adults or teens)..... and based on Pixar's track record, yes, I do think that it isn't unreasonable for you to give them the benefit of the doubt and go see the movie just because it's Pixar..... are you really debating that?
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-05-31, 08:41

I'm thinking of how many Pixar films I'd pay to see in a theatre if I didn't have children to see them with. I mean you don't have many choices with kids so you see 90% of what comes out. With adult movies the choices are greater but I think if I was a regular weekly movie goer (and I nearly am) my pick this week would be to see UP.
I wanted to see it, but when I went, Wall*E but it put me to sleep. I'm afraid that happens frequently with me at kids movies, except Miyasaki movies.
There was a bunch of criticism at Cannes as to why Pixar has yet to do an adult feature and I'm not sure about the answer, but Miyasaki has done adult things, I don't see why it would be out of Pixar's grasp.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-05-31, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
I'm thinking of how many Pixar films I'd pay to see in a theatre if I didn't have children to see them with. I mean you don't have many choices with kids so you see 90% of what comes out. With adult movies the choices are greater but I think if I was a regular weekly movie goer (and I nearly am) my pick this week would be to see UP.
When I went, the normal show was sold out, so I settled for the 3D presentation. I almost want to see it again just of that. And yeah, UP still caters to kids...it doesn't really have that signature over the top chase scene like other Pixar films, but several smaller ones that just make you roll your eyes.

Quote:
I wanted to see it, but when I went, Wall*E but it put me to sleep. I'm afraid that happens frequently with me at kids movies, except Miyasaki movies.
There's plenty of children's movies that I never tire of revisiting. Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang being two of my favorites. I can't think of any reason to watch WALL-E again. It simply did not do anything for me. It didn't test me emotionally, it didn't make me laugh that much. UP on the other hand has two very powerful scenes that made me shed man-tears.

And probably the funniest scene to me of any Pixar film:
Spoiler (click to toggle):
After Carl finds Russell stowed away, he daydreams about lowering him back down to the city below with a bedsheet rope...only he 'accidentally' loses his grip and Russell falls (presumably to his death).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-05-31, 09:10

Quote:
Uh yea......

Pixar trailers are notorious for making (some) people skeptical (probably because more so than the actual movie they are aimed at children and not adults or teens)..... and based on Pixar's track record, yes, I do think that it isn't unreasonable for you to give them the benefit of the doubt and go see the movie just because it's Pixar..... are you really debating that?
Uh yea...

No, I'm just making it up to hear myself talk, and to needlessly engage you in some silly back-and-forth about it all.

I've seen most of their stuff. And with the exception of the first "Toy Story" (and parts of the second one and a sequence or two of "Cars" and "The Incredibles"), I've just not been floored to the point to where everything they release automatically equals a lifetime "go see it no matter what!" pass.

What do you want me to say? Lie, and pretend otherwise just to bolster my geek cred?

I do, however, have a bit of genuine interest in a third "Toy Story", because I liked the others. I thought they were funny and sweet. I didn't get that same vibe from the others. Unless you want to mail me $8, don't worry about it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2009-05-31, 09:26

Wow. You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity.

Admin Note: User was banned for this post.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-05-31, 09:39

Quote:
…wait, what? He's "sad" and "strange" because he has different taste? Isn't it perfectly fair to judge films by their trailers when that's exactly what they're there for? Too many films come out every passing month for anyone halfway sane to watch them all, so trailers (and, of course, reviews) seem a perfectly sound way to filter in advance.

Now I for one like most Pixar movies, and love some (in particular, I find the first two thirds of WALL•E to have some of the most brilliant moments of any film of all time). I also think, though, that they're even better at making shorts than at feature films. And most of all, I would find the world a boring place if everyone had to have the same sort of taste.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-05-31, 10:09

Quote:
You have my virtual vacation.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-05-31, 12:19

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I noticed this the other day. I was watching Snow White and Cinderella and some of the other early Disney movies and realized how big a role the music played - not the songs, but using instruments to convey emotion, speech, etc. I know this was also the way things were in old cartoons - Tom and Jerry for example has no dialogue, but the music conveys everything. I wonder when that died out.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2009-05-31, 14:01

I think both Toy Story films are a notch above all the others, and mind you, some may put me to sleep, but what kids get to watch now is better than all that Apple Dumplin' Gang/Herbie the Love Bug shit I was forced to endure as a kid. I mean the worst kids movie I've seen in the last ten years (Bee Movie? maybe) is light years ahead of anything I saw as a lad.
But when you step up to the Lion King's, Toy Story films, Spirited Away, and My Friend Totoro, I mean, my god, this is going to be looked back as a golden age of animation. Those movies stand up with any movie nominated for best movie in the years they were made.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-31, 16:06

Quote:
But when you step up to the Lion King's, Toy Story films, Spirited Away, and My Friend Totoro, I mean, my god, this is going to be looked back as a golden age of animation. Those movies stand up with any movie nominated for best movie in the years they were made.
Agreed on all except The Lion King, which is (IMHO) one of the most overrated animated films ever.

(Nobody call me a sad, strange little man, mkay? )

Fun fact: Pocahontas and The Lion King were in development simultaneously. Pocahontas was considered the more prestigious of the two - and was to be Disney's well-publicized bid for Best Picture (after B&TB was nominated). The first Disney animated film based on a true story, and an American true story at that? Wow! Throw in an unusually artsy (for Disney, anyway), abstracted visual language and the hype of the largest film premiere in history (100,000 people in NYC's Central Park) and it was clear which project Disney was more excited about. Yet it was outperformed by the previous summer's talking animal flick that was probably, *ahem* inspired by Kimba the White Lion. I love it.

But yeah, I don't think The Lion King has aged as well as, say, B&TB. It's like the most '90s film ever.

billybobsky
BANNED

2009-05-31, 16:28

Who uses acronyms like that?

You really ought to consider whether the acronym makes it harder for your reader to follow what you are saying. B&TB doesn't immediately bring to mind Beauty and the Beast. At the very least define the acronym, and use it to your heart's content after that...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-31, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Who uses acronyms like that?

You really ought to consider whether the acronym makes it harder for your reader to follow what you are saying. B&TB doesn't immediately bring to mind Beauty and the Beast. At the very least define the acronym, and use it to your heart's content after that...
From earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
Snow White Blu-ray: October 2009
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray: Spring 2010
Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray: October 2010

With three Disney re-releases (including B&TB!) and the strong possibility of three Pixar re-releases, 2010 is looking to be the best year for animated Blu-rays since ever.
billybobsky
BANNED

2009-05-31, 17:18

Alright, I will accept that as a sort of definition, albeit indirect...
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-05-31, 18:13

Quote:

Admin Note: User was banned for this post.
Am I the only one who picked up on the "Toy Story" reference in a Toy Story thread?
feidhlim1986

2009-05-31, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
Am I the only one who picked up on the "Toy Story" reference in a Toy Story thread?
Ah yes, its a quote Buzz says to Woody, he should be un-banned now

@Roboman, I completely disagree!!! The Lion King is my Fav movie of all time ever since I was 8 and it was the first movie I saw in a Cinema! Its under-rated
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-05-31, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
Ah yes, its a quote Buzz says to Woody, he should be un-banned now

@Roboman, I completely disagree!!! The Lion King is my Fav movie of all time ever since I was 8 and it was the first movie I saw in a Cinema! Its under-rated
Not necessarily saying he should be unbanned, just baffled that no one had openly picked up on it before.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-05-31, 22:06

Don't know the plot or storyline of this one, but I will definitely see it.

Toy Story is one of my favorite moves ever. I've always liked it and will watch it whenever it's on TV.

Just like you Robo, I'll eventually buy them all on Blu-Ray. I have Ratouille on Blu-Ray and it's absolutely incredible.

I'm someone who will go and see a Pixar movie no matter what. I'll watch the previews, but I'll still go and see it in theaters when they come out. The only one that disappointed me so far was The Incredibles.

Hopefully Up is a good one.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-05-31, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
FWIW, I did note it as since, but given the tone, couldn't appreciate it as such.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-05-31, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
FWIW, I did note it as since, but given the tone, couldn't appreciate it as such.
Exactly. If he had posted it like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a real quote
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity."
Instead of like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
...things might be different. This is the internet; quotation marks and emoticons exist for a reason. IMHO
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-06-01, 00:08

Memo to myself: Pull your sorry head out of ass and learn to put "such" where "since" doesn't belong and vice versa.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-06-01, 09:36

I hadn't realized it was a Toy Story quote, but as the poster said above.

If it ended with I'd be unbanning him now.

ending with and it stays.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-06-01, 09:42

Everything I've read/heard says that "Up," is amazing.

Going to go check it out with the wife tonight I think...unless I can convince her to go see Star Trek...

And All That Could Have Been
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-06-01, 11:18

Anyone think the teaser's "Buzz can do better" is Pixar's way of saying "we can do better than Circle 7"?
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-06-02, 03:27

Quote:
I think both Toy Story films are a notch above all the others, and mind you, some may put me to sleep, but what kids get to watch now is better than all that Apple Dumplin' Gang/Herbie the Love Bug shit I was forced to endure as a kid. I mean the worst kids movie I've seen in the last ten years (Bee Movie? maybe) is light years ahead of anything I saw as a lad.

Did you have to go there? The AD Gang, Herbie the Love Bug, etc., are classics in every sense.

Some of these "new" movies bother me a bit, especially as they treat the viewer as someone who can't watch more than 45 seconds without a major action followed by a ton of screaming dialogue (Nemo, Bee Movie....) It's as if all kids have some form of ADD. Other are undoubtedly well done (Wall-e, TS, Miyazaki films (especially MN Totoro).