User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple TV
Partial
Stallion

2014-01-31, 11:50

New Apple TV coming. Begin speculation now!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-01-31, 23:41

I've been speculating for a long time now. Game controllers included. Any chance you have anything more than the mythical "New Apple TV coming"?
Partial
Stallion

2014-02-03, 02:06

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/28/apple-...major-changes/

Mark Gurman is pretty much never wrong. He has guys within Apple for sure.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-02-26, 13:54

I hope he's not. While all the content additions have been great. The interface is awful, the access/login is terrible, and finding something is atrocious.
Partial
Stallion

2014-02-28, 21:31

Dalyrimple noped it. SOB!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2014-03-20, 21:39

Whatever it is I hope it's a Comcast / DirecTV killer. Or at least something that scares them into offering better value for the money they charge.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-03-23, 21:29

More akin to what I've been predicting for the last couple of years, but of course take any ATV rumor with a grain of salt:

Latest rumors have the new AppleTV being able to stream Comcast via IP along with CloudDVR-esque services. The major problem with CloudDVR is the FCC stupidly requires each recording to be tied to a single device, so an episode of Cosmos would have to be recorded hundreds of thousands of time on the server-side for as many viewing devices.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-04-02, 10:56

Looks like Apple is going to have to bring more to the table than a few minor updates, if Apple TV is going to compete with the new Amazon Fire TV.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2014-04-02, 12:07

Nice, I'm glad Amazon is raising the bar.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-04-02, 12:55

I'm not convinced they've raised it by much. The content offerings are quite comparable, the form factor is virtually identical (gee, where have I seen such a remote before? Pretty much any manufacturer other than Apple still ships this clusterfuck), and the higher hardware specs are only relevant for games.

So, maybe that's the big one — a low-cost happens-to-be gaming console. But… and I don't have an tv myself, so I can't say, but isn't gaming using AirPlay already quite a viable option? Use your iPhone as controller (and a fairly beefy platform to run the app on) and the TV as a huge second beats-the-Wii-U screen?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-04-02, 13:24

All Apple really has to do is add the app store to the Apple TV, which would bring games etc. Maybe make it 4k ready, but I don't think that is really a requirement yet.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-04-02, 13:37

I'd also like to see the Amazon box evaluated in the wild before we declare it the new hotness. How many times has Apple been found wanting compared to a press event, only to discover that the actual product has some grave shortcomings? Seem to remember Google TV getting the same treatment, and where's that at?

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-04-02, 13:57

Exactly. Every time certain companies announce something, both the press (tech and mainstream) and Wall Street spend 2-9 days spraying their shorts in glee and anticipation. Then said product actually hits the streets and is available at your local buying place and...lo and behold, nobody gives a true rip. Or the thing is discovered to not run on gold unicorn dust, cures absolutely no known diseases, gets no one laid more than they were before, etc.

Apple - or anyone, for that matter - shouldn't be in the business of chasing press releases, pre-announcements or vague promises from the competition. Wait and go after the real thing, which usually proves to be "less than" anyway.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-04-02, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I'd also like to see the Amazon box evaluated in the wild before we declare it the new hotness. How many times has Apple been found wanting compared to a press event, only to discover that the actual product has some grave shortcomings? Seem to remember Google TV getting the same treatment, and where's that at?
Oh man. I had literally forgotten about Google TV.

Now, Chromecast, OTOH, is a solid competing take. It's not entirely the same thing, but it may be just enough to make people think twice. But the Fire TV? I don't see the big innovation there.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2014-04-02, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Seem to remember Google TV getting the same treatment, and where's that at?
Google TV requires Google Fibre, correct? So the real question would be how is it performing in the handful of markets where it exists.

Amazon's box here, on the other hand will run on any network.

For Airplay, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I've tried it out a few times and have had pretty mixed results.

You can *try* gaming with it, but it's got lag issues for any kind of normal gaming. Something turn based might be fine, but we're talking solitaire levels of UI. Civ5 made it shit itself.

The AirPlay feature + the Prime player on the iPad actually works ok, but I had been hoping to see Amazon bring their Prime player to the AppleTV, and this makes me think that may not happen after all.

I didn't see anything about the Fire being able to play streamed content from local machines, and for me that would be a deal breaker.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
chucker

2014-04-02, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Google TV requires Google Fibre, correct?

I… don't think so?

Google TV is essentially Android running on a set-top box. It appears to be more or less dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
For Airplay, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I've tried it out a few times and have had pretty mixed results.

You can *try* gaming with it, but it's got lag issues for any kind of normal gaming. Something turn based might be fine, but we're talking solitaire levels of UI. Civ5 made it shit itself.
Ick.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2014-04-03, 07:41

Ok, looks like you're right about GoogleTV, and this makes sense why it's dying.

Quote:
Cable providers as well as content providers have been slow to warm to Google TV. NBC, ABC, Fox,[53] CBS and Hulu have blocked Google TV enabled devices from accessing their web content since Google TV's launch.[54] As of November 22, 2010, Google TV devices are blocked from accessing any programs offered by Viacom’s subsidiaries.[55] Of the cable and satellite providers, only Dish Network has embraced Google TV. Dish Network is promoting Google TV, offering customers a discount on the Logitech Revue.[56] However for the technically inclined, there are several mechanisms to defeat the blocking of Google TV.[citation needed]
So it used to be able to play a bunch of network content, but has since been blocked from doing so.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-04-03, 08:05

I thought that Google TV was a really neat idea back in 2010.
The televisions were made by Sony and looked pretty cool.
I honestly DO love button-infested remote controls (I'm a big believer in non-visual, muscle-memory control systems), and this one was a prize-winner.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-04-03, 09:27

Voice input is really the only talking point I see from Fire TV. We don't need another Netflix terminal or OUYA.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2014-04-06, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Voice input is really the only talking point I see from Fire TV. We don't need another Netflix terminal or OUYA.
And Amazon pushing hard on voice, particularly given Dash.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-04-06, 18:35

Not to mention I can already say "watch Cosmos" into my iPhone and my X1 box will oblige.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-10-20, 11:34

*bump*

Need to add a media extender to the home, would love to toss an AppleTV at the problem, except for two things:

1) You can't bridge the WiFi and ethernet. I have a Pioneer receiver that is network and AirPlay aware, but the existing network connection (a Mac mini) is being repurposed for homework in the den. A WiFi/Ethernet bridge is necessary now. I *thought* you could do it in an 3rd gen Apple TV, but apparently not.

2) Apple TV 4th gen due out RSN. Maybe. We hope. Seriously, I'd be bummed if I bought the silly thing just before it was upgraded. Even more so if it got the bridging feature. Any juicy rumors on this one?

Or, any other options I should be looking at? iTunes (well, iTunes Match/iCloud) connection a must, Netflix/Hulu/Plex integration a wanted feature.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-20, 13:44

The fact that they didn't introduce an updated model at either of these two events in the past 6-7 weeks leads me to believe the current tv is going to be around at least through the holidays. Surely they would've done something with it if they wanted it updated, heading into this big shopping season.

If I were in the market for an tv, I'd have no problem buying one now. Cool thing is, at just $99 you're not out the kind of money you'd if you bought a MacBook Air or iMac one month before new, improved models were unveiled. You could probably get a chunk of that back (or put it to use somewhere else?).

Even better, you can always snag a current-generation refurb (they typically go for $79, when they're available) and that is a little less of a bite.

I know of no juicy rumors...just the usual nonsense about Apple making their own TVs (which is never going to happen). The little section about it at MacRumors (in the Buyers Guide area) shows it has being 900+ days without an update, with the last one being March 2012. But Mactracker shows an update of March 2013 (A1469, a different graphics card than the March 2012/A1427 model). That might matter if you're looking refurb or used via eBay/Craigslist.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-10-20, 13:50

Yeah, but I also need to buy an Airport Express to get the bridging, which means that if they add that in Gen 4, I'm out an additional $99.

Anyone have an additional option for bridging an AirPort network? I know it's doable with other brands, but talking with folks who have done it, it's hit or miss unless you match up brands. I've already got an AirPort Extreme in place, so it seems like a no-brainer to keep it in the Familia de Fruitas.

Agreed on the 'they would have done it by now' for holiday shopping, but they've done weirder things on the sly without announcement.

Edit: You know what? I just realized that I can just run a &%*(#$@ Cat6 cable from my office to the entertainment center. It's a whopping 20' under the house in the crawlspace. Sheesh. No contending with other devices between the media bridges, the receiver, and the NAS.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2014-10-20 at 14:12.