Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

my story with a powerbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
my story with a powerbook
ironlung

2005-03-10, 19:02

Hi,
I havent posted in a while, thats because i sold my pc, and my powerbook was at repair. This baby has spent more time at apple than in my hands, and sadly I must depart with it again. GOOD news though, after several repairs, several trips to the apple store (an hour away from where I live), and talking to customer relations, they have finally agreed to replace my powerbook with a brand new one.

They agreed to do this mostly because of the trackpad, which they were not able to fix. Secondly, they changed the lcd cover because it was bent. In the process they damaged a lot of pixels, with the scratch on the screen appearing to be a strand of hair (which it isnt.. its constantly red). The mac genius at the apple store said he had never seen anything like this before. I am not bitter or anything, just happy that this is finally going to end. Hopefully, the new powerbook wont have the trackpad problems. So ill be shipping this tomorrow, and thus will be out of a computer for at least a week...
sildani

Send a message via AIM to sildani  
2005-03-10, 19:43

At least you're getting a new Powerbook... sorry to hear about all your troubles, dude.
stonyc

Send a message via AIM to stonyc  
2005-03-10, 20:00

Ouch man, I got mine around the same time as yours and haven't had a problem with it (knock on wood) yet... good luck, and I hope you're up and running again soon.
mudphud

2005-03-10, 21:12

I also had some problems with my new 12" PowerBook when I first got it. The case was scratched and the hard drive died within 8 days of getting it. It took quite a lot of talking to customer relations to get them to ship me a new PowerBook (I didn't want them to fix it because to fix a case, they have to take everything out and put it in a new case).

The replacement PowerBook came about 5 days after I sent the old one off and I'm pretty happy with it (It still has scratches above the button, but whatever I need to get work done).

When I told customer relations that there was a scratch above the button, they also said they had never heard of this happening. I wonder if this is a standard line in the Apple Technical support training manual, to deny anything could possibly go wrong with their machines.

Hope you get your computer soon.
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-03-10, 21:17

yikes! my 12" pb is being delivered tomorrow. :-/
sildani

2005-03-10, 21:59

I have a 12" PB and the only problem I had was the battery, which was replaced under the one year warranty. Can't wait to get my 15"
squishles

2005-03-11, 01:52

I've had problems with my new 15" also- the power supply was screwed up- they reset it at the Apple Store after a few hours, there have been a few other minor glitches that have worked themselves out, but yesterday we noticed that the thing is bent! I noticed that when I type on it it wiggled, but someone else told me when it closed it was even. Turns out the base is crooked. Apple better fix this- this isn't a cheap machine. Thank goodness the Apple Store is within 5 minutes of me. :-) Anyone else have similar issues?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-03-11, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato64
yikes! my 12" pb is being delivered tomorrow. :-/
Lucky dude. May I also just add that the more I go to your homepage the more I like the movies - hope film school goes well.
sildani

2005-03-11, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishles
I've had problems with my new 15" ... I noticed that when I type on it it wiggled ... Anyone else have similar issues?
My 12" PB wiggles a little too when I place it on a flat surface. I hardly ever use it on a table, usually just on my lap, so it isn't that big of a problem for me. But mine suffers from the same ailment.

AppleCare is an awesome deal considering the high cost of parts and labor. As it has been suggested before, you automatically get 1 year upon new purchase, so you should wait until the last month, and then get the 3 yr Apple Care extended warranty, which would be good for 3 yrs from the moment you get it. It's the best value considering the insurance it gives you.

Check out the bluehair page for some witty, ad-free commentary on life as we know it.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-11, 11:08

incorrect
applecare will ONLY add 2 additional years to the warranty, no matter when you buy it.
andychih

2005-03-22, 22:52

Mine is a little bit wiggled as well, but it just very little. Anyone fixed the problem?
nato64

Send a message via AIM to nato64  
2005-03-23, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Josef
Lucky dude. May I also just add that the more I go to your homepage the more I like the movies - hope film school goes well.
thank you! i'm gonna try my hardest but i'm working on a new film that'll be out in late may, so watch for it lol

p.s. i LOVE my new 12" PB. can't get away from it.
arjay

2005-03-23, 19:27

I know this is going to sound a little wierd, but the rocking will normally occur on a diagonal either between the bottom left corner and the top right, or bottom right corner and top left. On a solid flat surface, desk or sturdy table, and with the screen open so that you aren't pushing on the LCD, hang one of the offending corners of the PB off of the edge of the table about half-way out, and push down on that corner. It doesn't take much, but apply steady pressure to the corner. Then try it. If the wiggle isn't gone, tweak it again. I've done this maybe three times on my PB 12" upon recommendations I found in another forum, and it works! I haven't had to tweak mine for quite awhile now, and it doesn't wiggle at all.

arjay
gjas15

2005-03-23, 20:09

Same Here on my 15" its just needs to be tweaked every once in awhile... Seems to happen to me after its been riding in my backpack for a while. I think thats also why my screen is a little uneven when closed
frenchfood

2005-03-25, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub
Hi,
I havent posted in a while, thats because i sold my pc, and my powerbook was at repair. This baby has spent more time at apple than in my hands, and sadly I must depart with it again. GOOD news though, after several repairs, several trips to the apple store (an hour away from where I live), and talking to customer relations, they have finally agreed to replace my powerbook with a brand new one.

They agreed to do this mostly because of the trackpad, which they were not able to fix. Secondly, they changed the lcd cover because it was bent. In the process they damaged a lot of pixels, with the scratch on the screen appearing to be a strand of hair (which it isnt.. its constantly red). The mac genius at the apple store said he had never seen anything like this before. I am not bitter or anything, just happy that this is finally going to end. Hopefully, the new powerbook wont have the trackpad problems. So ill be shipping this tomorrow, and thus will be out of a computer for at least a week...
I also have very unpleasent experience with my powerbook G4. I purchase it in the Dec. of 2003. It was running great until nightmare occurs last Nov. A blank CD stucked in the CD rom. I didn't want to have ti fix since I was using it a lot. But one day, I wasn't able to even enter my operating system which forced me to mail it back for repair. When it was sent back after TWO weeks. I still couldn't enter the operating system frequently. I called the tech support. They insist it be software problem. I thus wasted a whole day to back up my data and reinstalled the operating system. It didn't help. The operating system freezes easily. So I demanded to send it back for repair and they agreed. After a week (faster) I got it back with a slip in the package stating "problem could not be duplicated'. I push the power on button, same problem. "Kernel panic". So I had to go to an apple store and show them the problem. They took it back and after another two weeks I got it back on Jan. 11th. In the meanwhile I decided to purchase apple care plan just to be safe.

Since then, it appears to be okay. Then just a week ago, when I got home I heard some strange noise. I searched around my apt and found it was from my powerbook. To be safe to visited an apple store, waited in line for two hours to talk to an apple guinis and showed them the problem. Now it is at repair for the fourth time.

Myabe it is just my bad luck as all my friends believe. And I do hope that is true.
Dave Hagan

2005-03-26, 14:00

I am writing this from my replacement PowerBook 17. This replacement unit was brandy new in September. Since September it has been out for repair 3 times. This makes a grand total of 7 repairs for this purchase. 7 repairs too many, in my opinion. But it is working okay now... The screen is starting to get dark spots (like smoke) around the lower corners when it wakes from sleep and I worry that someday they may not fade away.
Jason
Veteran Member

2005-03-26, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
I am writing this from my replacement PowerBook 17. This replacement unit was brandy new in September. Since September it has been out for repair 3 times. This makes a grand total of 7 repairs for this purchase. 7 repairs too many, in my opinion. But it is working okay now... The screen is starting to get dark spots (like smoke) around the lower corners when it wakes from sleep and I worry that someday they may not fade away.
Seven times since last September? That is not good at all.
When you consider how much a 17" costs....

I would expect some pretty good service from now on. Hope you don't have anymore problems.

(Hope you have Apple care too!)
Dave Hagan

2005-03-26, 18:28

7 times since April. My replacement came in September and has been out for repair three times since then.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-03-28, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishles
Thank goodness the Apple Store is within 5 minutes of me.
5 minutes?

I thought I was lucky having one an hour away.

If I was that close, I would spend so much money there that Apple could afford to ship its iBooks with a few dozen extra logic boards, and an illustrated guide to replacment. Not to mention that I would be spending food money on software and accessories, so I would have to live on handouts and school lunches.

You ask me for a hamburger.