User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

AppleInsider and AppleNova

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleInsider and AppleNova
Batman

2005-07-07, 10:40

What happened between AppleInsider and AppleNova. Whenever AI is mentioned everyone here seems to have bad feelings about it. The website designs look almost the same too. Did AppleNova break off from AppleInsider?

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-07-07, 10:49

Long story short, there was a disagreement in how AppleInsider was run. So, several moderators and an administrator left AppleInsider to start AppleNova. The break was not amicable, though, and resulted in several people being banned at AppleInsider and baseless legal threats being thrown at Jack and myself.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-07-07, 11:00

I drifted over to AppleNova because a lot of "core" users of AI migrated here. I need to post more back over at AI because there's still a lot of good folks over there. Regardless of the management issues.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-07-07, 11:04

yes, i have almost never gone back to AI since the split...trying to visit more often

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-07, 11:17

I haven't. I like it here just fine. My favorites all seemed to wind up at 'Nova anyway, so there's only maybe about 2-3 people back at AI that I genuinely kinda miss. But not enough to go wading back there on any sort of regular basis.

The rest can have it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-07-07 at 11:18.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-07-07, 12:06

That being said, despite how things initially happened, AI was nice enough to give us a thread for folks trying to log into AN while our DNS servers were toast. Hopefully the bad blood is behind us.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-07-07, 12:19

I thought that was kinda odd/weird, and fully expected that thread to be closed/locked. I thought it was pretty ballsy for someone to start it there, I'll say that!

And I was pleasantly surprised when it was made a sticky. I thought that was kinda cool, considering. Maybe some of the old beefs are done away with...

But I still prefer it here. And I wasn't part of that "revolucion" or ensuing fallout...my reasons are mainly that I just think the people here are friendlier and more even-keeled about things. Less snippy and so forth.

AND, on a purely "the site itself" front, this place a) looks cleaner/less cluttered, b) has no ads or pop-ups, c) loads MUCH faster, d) has less "dead weight" threads/posts (although we do get our share during keynote periods and e) has a more involved/responsive mod/admin crew (I get the sense that their hands are truly into things, tweaking this and that, listening to suggestions, doing things to improve the joint, etc.).

All that, combined with the more mellow, mature and less combative nature of the folks here makes for a really nice place to hang one's hat. I'll stick around as long as the place will have me.

I don't wish other places of individuals (well, maybe a few) any ill will, but, to me, there's no contest.

thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-07-07, 12:23

one fateful day about a year ago, a lot of rumbling went on and several people were banned or otherwise prevented from going to AI.com (not all the bans were effective). Kasper, the guy who runs AI, found out about a hidden forum inwhich several members had discussed plans to exodus (in the secrecy of a hidden forum). the reason we wanted to leave was because management at ai didn't seem to care about the users' wants from the site (or otherwise diminished potentially valid concerns). we could of course, keep going back and forth as to the reasoning behind each thing. basically, some people from ai had some bad blood with the uppers. when the uppers found out, some mud started flying: bannings, inappropriately taken passwords, deleted threads, stolen databases, ... you can read some bits about the history in the 'Viva la Revolucion' forum (on that fateful day, many of us referred to it as The Revolution). in the aftermath, some legal threats were made and (i believe) were later thrown out of court. people from both sides acted inappropriately.

some resentment remains because for a while after the split, AI would systematically lock and delete any thread mentioning or linking to this site (at the time, this site was accessible as appleinsider.org); also, some still hold discontent about the issues prior. i was personally told that i was not allowed to link to here at all, under any circumstance. i think they've eased up over time wrt linking.

this weekend tho, when this site had dns issues, some threads were locked and/or deleted at AI. some people saw this as a continuation of the passed behavior. i didn't catch all of those discussions, but my impression is that the AI mods were aggravated by some resentment displayed by AN members about AI, while AI was graciously and freely helping us get back here.

as this site started out as a reaction to AI, a large portion of the membership here (particularly lower ids) started out as members of AI.

my own bias might be showing, as i favor an to ai. ai lacks discussion of the event in general because of all the deletions back then (well, i assume no one has druged it up since). the revolution forum is probably biased as well.

these days, i tend to think of AI as pretty much the same as AN, but with more people, including more annoying people, and PO. i go there occassionally, but dont post often.
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-07-07, 12:34

I find both sites complement each other nicely. I like 'Nova's forum software modifications better, though. They seem to care more.

Last edited by johnq : 2005-07-07 at 12:35.
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-07-07, 14:09

I do not want to re-make the history, I will just say that now it's belong to history. Napoleon said that history was written by winners, but there is no winners or losers here.

AI has been split in two entities : AI and AN.
Some members, are belonging to both communities. We should notice, that the two sites have evolved since the great split.
AN has win new members, especially with the help of the Think secret community, and AI has continue to evolve it's own way.

The bad blood only exist between a very limited number of people, and for the vast majority of the AI staff this story is over : we are all volunteers, and fan of Apple's products. That's what we share in common, with all Apple lovers.

In a personal point of vue, I choose more the site where I want to discus for the members belonging to it, rather anything else. For example i am a very rare lurker of MacBidouille, because I do not have many friends there.
The pleasure of meeting one or two good internet friend is a sufficiant reason to visit a forum.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-07-07, 14:13

blah
blah
blah

Looks like most of the old shit has been regurgitated in this thread, I don't think there's a need for more.

Let's let this whore drift to page 2, quick like.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-07-07, 15:43

Brad's Speed Holes grace both designs, but our coasters can beat up their coasters.