User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 43 of 49 First Previous 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47  Next Last Thread Tools
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-02, 16:27

Figured I'd use Brad's latest update to mark out the new territories. (Click for bigger)

The potential park site is where bobsky, Mrs Turtle and I were bouncing around last night. Very cool terrain, and may be best left for the enjoyment of others.

The circular area is the site of future small scale development as a more personal home away from the rink (which looks awesome in the isometric). I'm likely to build most of it underground in order to leave the snow and pine largely intact with a bridge to connect to the monolith to the south.

Hopefully there are no objections to these plans.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-02, 16:28

Nether currently is not fully supported in SMP, hence our lack of Ghastly expeditions. There's an invisible upper limit at level 128.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-02, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Wait... WHAT? Drew was online for the first time ever too and I missed this? Dang.

So, are you on a newer/faster machine now, Cap'n? Or did you just grin and bear through it being slow? Or was it just not as bad as you'd originally suspected??
I'm using a "friend's" new MacBook Pro.
It's very nice and not at all as chunky as my old machine

Had a brilliant intro session by Billybobsky and have made a LOT of Q-tips if anybody needs them.
Had a run-in with a pig who was looking at me sideways. I was having fun with him when BB told me that they carried disease.
Oh! And I drowned!!
But I got better.
Interesting to see Kraetos working on the bar, adding a top floor. Assume that's for the stripper poles.
Got to see the Apple Store... VERY NICE work.
I also accidentally broke a window in the safe house with my salami, which turned out to be my ARM.
Did not replace that. I don't think you can make glass out of Q-tips.
Haven't run Brad's texture pack yet, I'll do that soon... will need to look for that link before my next adventure.
Was mute before somebody told me the "t" to talk, but was happy to have figured out that "w" was walk.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-02, 21:43

Update!
After having several pretty nice things (for my level) I let a chicken push me off a cliff and lost it all BUT with BB's help I've re-made some stuff and am getting better. NOW I should read the manual to learn more key commands. Pretty disappointed that I lost that magic poop... among other things... not even beginning to be prepared to build anything yet... SO impressed!!!

Captain Drew on Twitter

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-03, 01:57

Quote:
Ok... so, I'm sketching out my next project, and I'm going to need a LOT of land for it. Since nobody generally seems to like building in deserts, I thought I'd take over the small desert southeast of Bridgeport.
Update: I sketched out my plans with a bit more accuracy. I'm extending the skyways (orange) and planning to level and build on the area here in blue.

Is that plan still OK by you, Bryson?

No, I have no idea how long it's going to take to complete this construction. How long did Parapa Palace take? A few months? This is on roughly the same scale area-wise but with much less underground work.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-03, 13:42

I've started leveling that area and am making routine trips back to the community exchange. It might interest you guys that I struck clay under some of the sand, and I just dropped off 244 clay balls in the community exchange in the "Ores and Rarities" section. First come first serve!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-03, 15:15

Of course, this would have to happen on the only Sunday I've worked for months.

Ah, well. I hope they're still there later tonight. If not, I'll have to go off exploring again!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-03, 18:03

Knowing you need it, I'm leaving it, Bryson. I need some, too, but it'll be a bit before I start on the kitchen in Great Bear Lodge, so I can hold off on it for awhile.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-04, 01:49

FYI
RowdyScot gave me a tour once we arrived back to civilization and whilst in the Skyranch viewing platform for the community mob trap (at dark) there was ZERO activity. He took us down to investigate and there was very little collection happening.

Captain Drew on Twitter

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-04, 01:51

Something seems to be going wrong with it, but without getting in to take a look (something I don't plan on doing right now or by myself ) I'm not going to be able to diagnose it. Very strange.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-04, 07:40

Possible explanation: was anyone at the hostile mod trap at the same time? The game has a cap on the total number of mobs it will generate in the world at any given time, and I suspect it prioritizes hostile mobs over passive ones.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-04, 10:09

The only active players were Rowdy and I. Billybobsky's avatar was on, but inactive at the trap. While we were inspecting an upper bit he logged off. There were a few skellies and zombies being processed every once in a while, but not the factory-like affair I'd been expecting.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-04, 10:28

Quote:
Update: I sketched out my plans with a bit more accuracy. I'm extending the skyways (orange) and planning to level and build on the area here in blue.

Is that plan still OK by you, Bryson?
Fine by me. Nice to have neighbours.

Drew, Rowdy and I went adventuring last night in a succession of crappy forts. I hereby name the area around the last fort "Creeper Springs". Why?

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Just takin' a bath...

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-04, 11:00

The game goes through intermittent periods of mob inactivity. It is a bug.

There is nothing actually wrong with the trap....

¡Damned!

2011-04-04, 11:44

I've had the same thing occur when I'm on late-night collecting drops. It happens. Nothing to do with the trap (though I think we should push Rowdy in just to be sure ).

So it goes.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-04, 12:08

"Crappy Forts"????
They were masterworks to me... my first experience building a structure!! I just helped along like I knew what I was doing. I even shot a skellie and jumped off the wall to go get his bones, in the dark!!! Okay, I fell off, and nearly shit a brick... but thanks to Brad having taught me the dirt tower trick I was back up in no time flat.

I noted how easy it was to get separated on these forays into the unknown. Is it common practice to warp to each other to close ranks? Is there a shorthand question for asking if it's safe to warp? That would be handy.

What's the rule for pushing out boundaries? I know that it makes the map grow unwieldy fairly quickly.

Captain Drew on Twitter

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-04, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Is there a shorthand question for asking if it's safe to warp? That would be handy.
Good idea, are we using anything for this? How about a "StW xxxx?" that might be quick enough?

¡Damned!

2011-04-04, 12:26

Or "HALP!!!"

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2011-04-04, 14:21

I've seen the inactivity periods, but never like that before. There was nothing in the mob trap in the viewing room above. Not a thing for about 20 minutes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-04, 14:52

Offline talk: OK, so, after a couple false starts I've built a shelter in a huge, very deep cave to explore. I'm a nervous wreck when I go down there, something about knowing the cave was randomly generated makes it so much scarier than your typical designed, pre-packaged video game cave. I plant a few torches, retreat, plant a few more torches...

But I have a creeper problem. Not in the cave, but when I try to get out of the cave. I'm scared to go out of my cave even during the day because I'm terrified of creepers. When I try to leave, they're all over the hill my cave is in. One cornered me in my shelter and then I couldn't get out. I don't have enough string for a bow and arrow, yet. I built a trench near the mouth of the cave so that they should fall in that, now, and I'm working on making more exits so I can't get cornered so easily. Is there anything else I should do? Should I brave nightfall just to find string?

It'd probably be easier if I was doing all this online. But I don't want to look stupid, getting blown up and everything. Plus, I want to explore that cave.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-04, 15:01

Boo! Come play online with us!

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-04, 15:05

Quit being such a puss? They hiss at you before exploding..

arteggio

2011-04-04, 15:11

Creepers and cave hunting often put me on edge too. And you're out killing spiders all by your lonesome for some string?

In AppleNova Minecraft, string comes to you, at the community hostile trap. One of the many things our economy now has to offer us.

After you explore that tantalizing cave, why don't you join the online world? You don't have to not look stupid. When you blow up and die, you start in the middle of civilization.

drewdrops and I think someone else are learning their way around at the moment, and between the mob traps and the community exchange you wouldn't have wonder where your next arrow or heart or whatever will come from.

And then, you could bless us with your designs.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-04, 16:24

I've been using the trackpad on my "friend's" new MacBook Pro but that sucks because right-clicking provides an odd and unreliable experience. I'll go buy a mouse, but am wondering if they make programmable joysticks that work with a Mac.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-04-04, 16:26

Wait, are we talking about the same paths here?

If you want, i can donate 54x64 smooth stone to the project.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-04, 16:29

Everyone:

I'm beyond disappointed in one or more users of the server. It was discovered today that we are missing a collection of swords from the small chests inside "Hard Shell Armory". I put them there to be readily accessed when needed.

There wasn't a "grab all but the wooden swords from this chest" sign over the top of them. I would greatly appreciate it that if you come to visit my neck of the woods you respect the boundaries of good taste.

If it isn't your chest then don't take from it. If it isn't a open chest like at the community exchange then don't take. If you need something then ask, I would think we've shown ourselves to be pretty generous.

Missing is 12 diamond swords, 24 iron swords from two small chests. I would also like to point out that all those swords were mined and made by hand, not a miracle donation.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Atariboy

2011-04-04, 16:34

well it wasn't Atari Jr., I can tell ya that much.

Sorry to hear it bro

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-04, 16:40

Woah, that's crazy. Swords wear out pretty slowly too (well, mine do, because I'm a bow-weilding coward) so 12 diamond swords and 24 iron would last pretty much forever. That's just odd behaviour. Are we 100% sure it isn't an inventory glitch?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-04, 16:45

Well, it is highly unlikely it was an inventory error. The wooden swords are still there. Some of the arrows are still there too in one of the chests. It could be a number of things and I hate to think it was one of our users, but hard to think what it really could have been given the details.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

¡Damned!

2011-04-04, 17:04

That's pretty strange considering that's a full inventory of stuff to carry. I mean, who hikes all the way out to TNP without even a bow and arrow for protection?

Still, highly unacceptable behavior if indeed it was someone and not a glitch. If it was a newby that hasn't figured out the concept of personal property yet I could cut a little slack, but I wouldn't expect it from one of our usuals.

So it goes.