Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Virus Program, Firewall, Backup Program

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Virus Program, Firewall, Backup Program
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-08-23, 11:16

I am switching from PC to Mac now and have a question. I know in the Mac field there are far fewer virus issues but I assume that still some type of virus program is needed as well as a firewall. Is this true and if so which one is best? With the PC I use Norton for viruses, zonealarm for firewall.
As well, I am always careful about hard drive backups. I do them to DVD-R. On the PC I have used PC Backup but mostly use Acronis. What is a good backup program for the Mac or is this built in?
Thanks in advance for any help.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-08-23, 11:26

Welcome to the Mac!

Stay away from anti-virus programs. They cause more trouble than they solve.

There's a built-in firewall that's sufficient for most people. You activate it in System Preferences, under "Sharing".

Backup programs? As long as I've been using a Mac, you'd think I'd have a good recommendation. I don't. I'll let someone else chime in on that one.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 12:18

This brings up a point I've intended to make but haven't yet. Would it be a good idea for one of the mods to create a sticky somewhere with advice for new Mac users?
Put a small FAQ section with questions just like the above, as well as recommendations on reading materials, suggested settings, general practices, etc..

And of course, the other highly qualified, non-mods would be encouraged to add their input as well. (makes it easier on the mods, and adds value)

Obviously not everyone will notice it, and there will still be new threads that ask the same questions, but it would then be easy to point them to it. And I know I would certainly find it helpful.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 12:21

As said, firewall is built-in, and for the love of god, run far away from any Mac product that is branded 'Norton'. Really. They bring down the machine more often than the problems they're supposed to protect you from. They're like a seat belt made of barbed wire and razor blades.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 12:25

No need for any virus software, it will run fine and have no issues with just the apple firewall
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-23, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Would it be a good idea for one of the mods to create a sticky somewhere with advice for new Mac users?
Noted. It's on my to-do list.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-23, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10
I am switching from PC to Mac now and have a question. I know in the Mac field there are far fewer virus issues but I assume that still some type of virus program is needed as well as a firewall.
Try no viruses.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-23, 12:42

For back-up I'd recommend using an external firewire HD and the application SuperDuper! to mirror your entire drive to the back-up. This allows you to either revert the entire drive, or just pick that file you lost.

I use it myself as a weekly back-up procedure. And back when my iBook G4 died, I managed to use the external HD to transfer my files and settings to my new MacBook Pro. Just as easy as that.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-08-23, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge
For back-up I'd recommend using an external firewire HD and the application SuperDuper! to mirror your entire drive to the back-up. This allows you to either revert the entire drive, or just pick that file you lost.

I use it myself as a weekly back-up procedure. And back when my iBook G4 died, I managed to use the external HD to transfer my files and settings to my new MacBook Pro. Just as easy as that.

I saw this at Costco last week. Would this be a good one, or is there a better one you'd recommend?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...nav=&brows e=

Quote:
Features -

Dual Interface:
For all out high-speed performance, FireWire is the interface of choice. For convenience and compatibility among multiple computers, USB 2.0 is the way to go. How do you choose? You don’t have to choose. You get both interfaces on the same drive.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-08-23, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Good news! I've suggested that a time or two, thinking it might be a nice, one-stop place for new users and Switchers to go for the quick basics! Look forward to seeing it.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-23, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I saw this at Costco last week. Would this be a good one, or is there a better one you'd recommend?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...nav=&brows e=
Looks ok feature-wise, price-wise I'm not really in the know on US hardware, I'll leave that for someone else to give advice on.

A thing to consider is, that since you have a 12" PB you might want something that you can bring along with you. If that's the case I'd suggest you look at some 2.5" drives and enclosures, they also have the advantage of being powered via the firewire cable, so no AC adapter is necessary. You can also get these pre-assembled, but they rarely have their own back-up software bundled with them. So you would definitely need SuperDuper! there.

Personally I have a 2.5" firewire 400 drive at the same size as my MBP's HD. However, 2.5" drives don't offer the same amount of storage for your money as 3.5" drives.

EDIT:
I can see that Costco doesn't feature the kind of drives I'm referring to.

Last edited by Mugge : 2006-08-23 at 15:12.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 15:22

Quote:
Many thanks and other gracious-type-things to you, good sir.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge

I can second all the advice here. Easy as pie. EASIER.

Have fun.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-08-23, 17:18

Quote:
List must be getting long
markw10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2006-08-24, 00:26

I appreciate all the responses.
I always thought that the reason Macs have fewer viruses is there are fewer macs so less virus makers have them and why make a virus for a computer that is less common, in otherwords you get less bang with a mac virus but I was recently told OS X is more secure so far harder to write viruses for, is that true?
As for the external hard drives, I see many use both USB 2.0 and firewire. The macs tend to have more usb ports than firewire ports. Is it okay to use the USB connection or should I stay with firewire?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-08-24, 00:32

Firewire is faster and allows you to boot from your external HD, provided the back-up is boot-able like the ones SuperDuper! generates.

On a practical note, you may have more USB ports but you probably also have a lot more USB devices. So your firewire port is easily going to be the least cluttered.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-24, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10
I appreciate all the responses.
I always thought that the reason Macs have fewer viruses is there are fewer macs so less virus makers have them and why make a virus for a computer that is less common, in otherwords you get less bang with a mac virus but I was recently told OS X is more secure so far harder to write viruses for, is that true?
They don't just have fewer viruses, they have none. I belive there is one known OS X virus. And yes, Mac OS is much more secure.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-24, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
I belive there is one known OS X virus.
Are you thinking of the Leap.A trojan? Not a virus.