User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

When will we see a larger format iPod Touch?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
When will we see a larger format iPod Touch?
fred.illies

2008-01-24, 00:35

If the following is representative of Apple's plans (and why WOULDN't they want to capitalize* on the iPhone/iPod Touch lead???) when do you think we'll see a larger format iPod Touch device?

Quote:
During Apple's conference call today, Apple executives described the iPod touch as a potentially the "first mainstream Wi-Fi mobile platform, running all kinds of mobile applications".
I'm drooling at the prospect of a 6" x 10" unit (a mock-up of which is pictured below)

* IMHO, this is what Apple should have built instead of the Air
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-01-24, 00:40

You heard it here first folks!

This must be what everyone thought was going to be released instead of the MBA.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 07:12

Apple didn't say it was *their* first mainstream WiFi device (as if they were going to make a bunch more that weren't just updated iPods). They said it was *the* first mainstream WiFi device, as in "nobody's ever done this as well as us."

That doesn't mean they're bringing out something larger. In fact, I think its success means they won't consider something larger for quite some time. The reason most of these things fail is that they're too damn big. Now we finally have something that's of reasonable size, so they're not going to go messing around with it.

We'll see upgraded iPod touch models, but I'm fairly certain we won't see a larger-format touch (or tablet or UMPC) for a long time.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
dfiler
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 08:17

... as soon as humans are larger and have larger pockets to fit such a device.

Once a portable computer is too big to fit in your pocket, it might as well be a notebook or sub-notebook.

Tablets haven't been widely adopted, not because of lack of technology or imagination, but because they aren't an optimal form factor for very many tasks.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 15:32

I agree with the two previous posts, but then again... Who here wouldn't consider something like that pictured above if it were available for a reasonable price? If you took the iPod touch, and dropped the camera, added a USB port or two, and made it paperback book size... That would be an incredibly awesome mobile video player, ebook reader, internet surfer, sketch pad, etc.'

I know I'd have a tough time not buying one.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
dfiler
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 15:45

Somehow, I can't picture myself holding a movie screen for the duration of a movie. Well, maybe if I was on the go and I just happened to have a movie screen in my pocket. Certainly wouldn't carry a whole separate bag for a movie screen that was necessary to hold.

That's one of the main drawbacks of a hand-held computer. You have to hold it, and hold it, and hold it. Wait, don't stop holding it yet. Otherwise, you won't be able to see the screen.

This is why laptops and portable movie players are hinged the way they are. You can set them down and view the screen without being required to constantly hold them at a certain angle.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-24, 15:45

I think it looks cool, but that is where it ends. I'd rather have a touch, simply due to size.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-01-24, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Somehow, I can't picture myself holding a movie screen for the duration of a movie. Well, maybe if I was on the go and I just happened to have a movie screen in my pocket. Certainly wouldn't carry a whole separate bag for a movie screen that was necessary to hold.

That's one of the main drawbacks of a hand-held computer. You have to hold it, and hold it, and hold it. Wait, don't stop holding it yet. Otherwise, you won't be able to see the screen.

This is why laptops and portable movie players are hinged the way they are. You can set them down and view the screen without being required to constantly hold them at a certain angle.
Three words: kick-stand, baby.

A little piece could flip out from the back (like a picture frame) and hold it and whatever angle (within reason) the user wants. Hands free. Sit on an airplane, the your earbuds in, sit this on the tray in front of you, put the "leg" out and tilt it as just the perfect angle. Sit back, beverage in hand and your other hand free to do whatever it wants...you're not holding anything.

Lots of third-party outfits sell such "prop up" devices for iPods and iPhones. Apple could do it themselves, or people could buy a $10 thing (or, hell...make one) that allows hands-free viewing/usage. I too wouldn't want to sit and hold this thing during a 2-3 hour movie...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I agree with the two previous posts, but then again... Who here wouldn't consider something like that pictured above if it were available for a reasonable price? If you took the iPod touch, and dropped the camera, added a USB port or two, and made it paperback book size... That would be an incredibly awesome mobile video player, ebook reader, internet surfer, sketch pad, etc.'

Buying one? Sure. Loving it and buying the next model? I don't think so. Most people, after a few days, would realize it's a pain in the ass to haul around. They'd end up just using it at home because it's not easily carried.

The iPod touch (and iPhone), on the other hand, can slip into your pocket every day with basically no hassle. That's what makes them so well-loved.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-01-24, 16:17

If it's too big for your pocket, just carry it like a purse!

Oh wait. That wouldn't be good.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-01-24, 16:24

I'm quickly losing my desire to see a "full size tablet thingie" from Apple, especially in light of these recent announcements and developments:
  • Apple seeing fit to make the iPod touch truly an "iPhone minus the phone", with all the cool software that iPhone users have (even if it's $20, you're not paying $60/month for constant ownership/usage).
  • The opening up to third-party developers in February
  • Apple's comments during their conference call, about how they're viewing the iPod touch

There's really no need for a large, clunky device if Apple, instead, decides to make the iPod touch the true Newton 2 and Bestest PDA Ever (all these third-party outfits are really going to add features and functions).

fcgriz is right. I think most people, after a few hauls of something larger/bulkier, wouldn't be so taken with it. But something small and as sleek as the iPod touch (where you can zoom websites and photos up to comfortable viewing and reading sizes)? There's your Apple tablet that people will actually use and take with them.

Makes it much more enticing than just an iPod that you can touch/flip through your albums on. It might really take off in 2008, and become something that many people will really want. It could be another huge hit for them. At this point, without any third-party apps or widgets, what does the beloved Newton have over the iPod touch? I don't really know anything about the Newton, so I'm genuinely curious. If that's the standard everyone's holding up, what if the iPod touch surpasses it? Will people - Newton enthusiasts like Fran441 and others - be pleased with this "replacement product"?

Apple probably knew, all along, this thing was going to go more in that direction.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 16:26

Quote:

- what pscates said. They could either integrate some kind of kick stand into it - though I have significant reservations with that idea, or just sell an accessory. The Samsung Q1 tablet devices have a handy little leather wrapper that has a kickstand on the back of it.

edit - i meant what pscates said in his 1st post, about the kickstand, before he started with all his crazy talk in his next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
Buying one? Sure. Loving it and buying the next model? I don't think so. Most people, after a few days, would realize it's a pain in the ass to haul around. They'd end up just using it at home because it's not easily carried.

The iPod touch (and iPhone), on the other hand, can slip into your pocket every day with basically no hassle. That's what makes them so well-loved.
How many people carry books around with them - this device could be no larger, and only slightly heavier than that. It would easily fit in a purse, or briefcase/portfolio. How many business people do you know who carry around a Day-Timer or Franklin Day Planner? Something like this could be much more effective than something like those, IMO, and it would be the same size and weight. It could succeed where things like the Palm failed. I think what really sank the Palm was that it was too small and difficult to take notes on, but this could solve that, while keeping the benefits of file transfer, digital calendaring that syncs with your primary computer, and add the entertainment benefits that have been listed.

I bet there are a lot more people than we realize who carry a day-planner, palm or blackberry device, and a book for reading on the train/bus on a day to day basis. Something like this could elegantly replace all of those.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
dfiler
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 16:30

Quote:
- what pscates said. They could either integrate some kind of kick stand into it - though I have significant reservations with that idea, or just sell an accessory. The Samsung Q1 tablet devices have a handy little leather wrapper that has a kickstand on the back of it.
Ever try out one of those kickstands in the real world? My experience and observation has been that they don't work on anything but a perfectly stationary flat surface. Laptops work because the weight is in the base, making them pretty much impossible to tip over.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-24, 16:36

Quote:
Ever try out one of those kickstands in the real world? My experience and observation has been that they don't work on anything but a perfectly stationary flat surface. Laptops work because the weight is in the base, making them pretty much impossible to tip over.
Admittedly, I've only used the one here on my desk while I was setting it up, so I don't have any experience with one out and about. I can see your point, and at times you would probably have no choice but to hold it. But then again, that's what we do with books so for those times when the kickstand just isn't stable enough, how bad could holding the thing really be?

noleli2

2008-01-24, 16:41

I think it'd be an appliance more than a computer. Hang it in the kitchen to show the family's calendars, access a shared household address book, look up recipes, play music over AirTunes, etc.
JohnnyTheA

2008-01-25, 01:15

What are tablet computers good for other than for some industrial or occupational function? By tablet, I mean the laptop size screen thingies with no keyboard. Making the touch bigger and morphing its function into some kind of UPS package delivery tool doesn't sound very interesting. MSFT tried to pitch "tablet computing" back about 5 years ago. It didn't really catch on with the public. Its kind of a cool idea to some so there is hope out there that apple will enhance with tablet experience with their iPod goodness, but I don't think it would be worth it.

New s/w and functions for the existing size touch iPods are the way forward..

JTA
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 07:30

Quote:
Who here wouldn't consider something like that pictured above if it were available for a reasonable price?
"reasonable price" and "Apple, Inc." don't really go together. I think they've become LOT'S more competitive, but reasonable? Nope, and I never see it happening.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-25, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
"reasonable price" and "Apple, Inc." don't really go together. I think they've become LOT'S more competitive, but reasonable? Nope, and I never see it happening.
I suppose it's relative. But iPods were never really thought of as reasonably priced before the last couple of years, and they certainly sold well.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-01-25, 10:15

Q: When will we see a larger format iPod touch?

A: For you? Never.

luxuryreplica

2008-01-26, 00:54

Quote:

What you just described is my dream device. An electronic sketch pad running Photoshop or Painter. Something that could have a dock at home and it could also wirelessly sync, charge and drive external displays with a BT keyboards. All done with the usual simplicity and elegance of Apple's design.

The device pictured above is something I were wishing Apple would have released at Macworld this year.

If a third party developer creates a good finger painting program for the iPhone and iPod touch I'd be pretty excited by that as well.
fred.illies

2008-01-27, 02:59

Wow. Guess the responses indicate that I'm in the minority in wanting this type of device.... and hence it seems to make sense that Apple didn't release a tablet thingy. Guess I got sucked in by those patent drawings, and what I thought would be a natural progression given iPod Touch. This apple tablet would be my holy grail cause I'm in planes alot, and it would give me everything I need in a thin and small footprint size. I would sacrifice the physical keyboard for convenience on the road, knowing that I could plug in a keyboard at the office.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-01-27, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred.illies View Post
Wow. Guess the responses indicate that I'm in the minority in wanting this type of device.... and hence it seems to make sense that Apple didn't release a tablet thingy. Guess I got sucked in by those patent drawings, and what I thought would be a natural progression given iPod Touch. This apple tablet would be my holy grail cause I'm in planes alot, and it would give me everything I need in a thin and small footprint size. I would sacrifice the physical keyboard for convenience on the road, knowing that I could plug in a keyboard at the office.
Most of the patent filings we see from Apple never actually happen. Some of them are things they developed and then gave up, and a certain portion of them are likely to just be ideas they had and thought *might* be useful in the future.