User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Couple of Questions About Virtualization

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Couple of Questions About Virtualization
digitaldave

2008-03-07, 17:52

Ever since I installed Linux on my PC, I've been wondering what to do with the copy of XP I used to have on there. I currently have it dual booting with Linux on the PC, but I've been thinking about installing it on my MBP . I know how Boot Camp works, but I have a couple of questions about other virtualization solutions, i.e. Fusion/Parallels...

1) When you install Windows under Fusion/Parallels, how much disk space does it take up? Do you allocate an area of the disc to use in a similar way to creating a separate partition for a Boot Camp install (except of course it's not a separate partition)?

2) Is it possible to run the virtualized OS full screen? Fusion appears to offer this (but the screenshot I've seen appears to show that it's not totally full screen, you still appear to have the Mac's menu bar), does Parallels do the same?

3) Could I use it to run both XP and Linux on my Mac?

4) Is 2GB RAM going to be OK for light, non-intensive use?

Thanks,

Dave.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-07, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave View Post
1) When you install Windows under Fusion/Parallels, how much disk space does it take up? Do you allocate an area of the disc to use in a similar way to creating a separate partition for a Boot Camp install (except of course it's not a separate partition)?
You decide how much space you want to give it. I'm running an installation of XP on 5GB with a bunch of programs and still some room left. You can also choose a disk image that grows with use, where you only set the maximum size. That way, you use up only as much space as you're actually using.

Quote:
2) Is it possible to run the virtualized OS full screen? Fusion appears to offer this (but the screenshot I've seen appears to show that it's not totally full screen, you still appear to have the Mac's menu bar), does Parallels do the same?
They run full screen, the menu bar only appears when the mouse cursor hits the top of the screen.

Quote:
3) Could I use it to run both XP and Linux on my Mac?
Sure, any number of OSs, they all live in independent VMs/disks.

Quote:
4) Is 2GB RAM going to be OK for light, non-intensive use?
Yes, just don't give the VM more than 1GB (or better 768MB). But should run fine.
digitaldave

2008-03-08, 03:16

Thanks for that . I think I'll have a look at the trial versions of both apps to see what they are like in actual use.