User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Creative Suite 2 Has Arrived!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Creative Suite 2 Has Arrived!
Track_40

2005-04-26, 09:38

In case anyone's interested... Ordered Creative Suite 2 Premium (upgrade) from Adobe, and the order shipped last night, and arrived this morning.

Now all I need is for Tiger to get here.

Hooyah. :smokey:
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-26, 15:58

Enjoy it.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2005-04-26, 17:30

I just hope for that kind of money that the Suite is native to OS X and not another Carbon job.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-26, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacfan
I just hope for that kind of money that the Suite is native to OS X and not another Carbon job.
Here's a free clue in case you've missed the rest for the last five years:

Carbon apps run natively on Mac OS X.

Up until version 7, QuickTime Player and all of its frameworks have been Carbon. The Finder is still Carbon. iTunes is Carbon. Lots of good Mac OS X-only software is Carbon. The differences between Carbon and Cocoa are blurred now more than ever. Why should it matter to you if Adobe's software is one or the other? What makes you think it'd be any better in Cocoa?

Sorry about the tangent, but this is a pet peeve.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
nassau

2005-04-26, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The differences between Carbon and Cocoa are blurred now more than ever. Why should it matter to you if Adobe's software is one or the other?

Because I don't want to see the damn wristwatch instead of the spinning beachball. If I wanted wristwatch I would have stayed in OS9. That's MY petpeeve...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-26, 18:16

Where's the "bash your head against the red brick wall" smiley when you need it?

Hold on....
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-26, 18:22

When you say things like:

"Gosh I wish this app didn't use Carbon; Cocoa is better. They should just re-write it because Cocoa cuts development time."

or

"Adobe doesn't care about Mac users; they didn't even integrate Core Image into Photoshop CS2"

etc

then you might as well be doing this:

...into the light of a dark black night.
Track_40

2005-04-26, 21:46

lol
elvia

2005-04-26, 22:01

Oh Goody, Another Fight!!!
¡Damned!

2005-04-26, 22:03

Where?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-26, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau
Because I don't want to see the damn wristwatch instead of the spinning beachball. If I wanted wristwatch I would have stayed in OS9. That's MY petpeeve...
Actually, that has nothing to do with being Carbon. Every other Carbon app I use has the rainbow wait cursor. Why not Photoshop?

Oh yeah. It's because Adobe hard-coded those cursors into the binary. Genius!
Attached Images
File Type: png photoshop-stopwatch.png (27.5 KB, 217 views)

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-04-26, 22:33

Hopefully Adobe has fixed Illustrator. It's been such a piece of sh*t, crashing at least once a day. Makes me want to go back to version 8.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-26, 22:36

Actually, I've been so frustrated with the last few versions of Illustrator that I started tinkering with Inkscape.

Inkscape:Illustrator::GIMP:Photoshop

It works very well in X11, is very fast, and is very easy to learn. I actually like the UI better than Illustrator. My only real complaint so far is that there's no easy way to manage multiple layers and the X11 implementation has a bug with pop-up menus.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-04-26, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
... The Finder is still Carbon. ...
Really? Now that's something that I did not know.

Without getting into the merits of the debate of Carbon vs. Cocoa, why would the Finder ever have been Carbon. Did Apple import it from the old OS? I would have thought the Finder would be an absolutely basic thing that would have been programmed from scratch in the new OS development.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-04-27, 02:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
Really? Now that's something that I did not know.

Without getting into the merits of the debate of Carbon vs. Cocoa, why would the Finder ever have been Carbon. Did Apple import it from the old OS? I would have thought the Finder would be an absolutely basic thing that would have been programmed from scratch in the new OS development.
The scuttlebutt I read when OS X was first released was that Apple wanted to show off the capabilites of Carbon, while at the same time "eat their own dog food" (I believe that is the phrase): in other words, prove a point to developers that Carbon was just as viable as platform as Cocoa for application building.

Whether this was true is another matter; I've never read anything definitive from Apple on the matter.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-27, 17:27

What he ^ said.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-27, 17:32

Also, there had been some talk about reusing legacy code of custom functions and data structures that was faster than Cocoa's default classes (which had/have a bit of overhead).

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-27, 18:59

So anyone received their copies yet? I think you guys will enjoy the new tools a lot... definitely a worthwhile upgrade IMHO (I am biased but still, it's a pretty cool set of new features across the board).

Track_40

2005-04-28, 09:47

Moogs -
One of my fav. features ::
I am SOOOOOO happy, that you can finally select multiple layers, and copy, delete, link or group them... finally. I am not liking however, that there are no simple icons any more to link layers together, and that you have to do it by right-clicking on the layers... I used to be able to simply hold down the mouse button, and slide the mouse up/down over 10 layers at a time to link them all... why is this gone?

Kudos to the Adobe GUI designers who finally softened up the look of the interface... its very elegant now... even dare i say... sexy.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-28, 19:59

Spot on regarding that last point. Less goofy grey aqua buttons, more "polished beige". I really like the way Photoshop and GoLive in particular look. InDesign is still a bit of a GUI jigsaw puzzle but still for the amount of functionality, very nicely done. Illustrator's interface I am less fond of but that's probably because I am so used to the other apps.

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-28, 20:49

Brad,

Inkscape rocks, I've been using it for the past few weeks and I really like it.

Looks like the source is getting stronger with you.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-04-30, 11:22

So anyone put InDesign or Illustrator to the test yet? I am curious what illy users will think of its performance and the new interface tweaks. I'm not a huge Illustrator guy but still curious....