Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo announces New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-30, 21:12

And yeah, that's actually the name:

It's basically the 3DSi.

The screens on the regular model are 20% larger by area, while the screen size on the XL model is unchanged. The viewing angles of the 3D effect are said to be improved through head tracking, although it's currently unclear if this just means it shuts off the 3D mode when your head leaves the "sweet spot" (my guess is yes). It features a higher-clocked processor for better performance browsing the web and Miiverse, and it's rumored to have double the RAM (don't get too excited, we're talking about all of 256MB here).

They're also adding a tiny "C-stick," to the upper left of the (now retro-colored) ABXY buttons. On the back, they've also added ZL and ZR buttons. These are the same controls that the Circle Pad Pro added, only now built in; I'm not expecting too many games to use them, but one of the biggies is Monster Hunter, which really benefits. (It's not a coincidence that these new handhelds release the same day as Monster Hunter 4G in Japan.)

Other than that, they've also built in NFC support for their toys-to-life "amiibo" figures, which will work with games like Super Smash Bros. They also claim the camera now has better low-light performance, although if you're buying a 3DS for the cameras you're doing something terribly wrong.

For once, Nintendo's releasing the regular and XL versions simultaneously, rather than holding the XL version back a year in hopes of a double (or in this case, quadruple) dip. They hit Japan on October 11, and will be released in Europe and North America in 2015. In Japan, the New 3DS is launching in matte white and black colors, whereas the New 3DS XL (LL in Japan) comes in "metallic" blue and black (I don't think they're actually metal, but I'm not positive). The New 3DS, but oddly not the New 3DS XL, also features interchangeable cover plates for the front and back covers.

So yeah, it's basically the 3DSi — a bunch of random hardware improvements and new features thrown together, meant to support a few new types of games and keep the hardware relevant for another few years. Nintendo also announced one new game, a down-port of the expansive fan-favorite Wii RPG Xenoblade, that they will be releasing as a New 3DS-only title (and to be honest, it looks like even the New 3DS can barely run it). Naturally, the entire internet exploded with rage that Nintendo was "forcing" everybody to upgrade and everybody's 3DSes are useless and every single Nintendo 3DS game will be New 3DS-only from now on, &c. &c. Hell hath no fury like a fanboy scorned, I guess.

Me? Of course I'll be adding one to my embarrassing DS collection, come 2015. They put Super Famicom ABXY buttons on there...my...weakness!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2014-08-31, 08:34

Is it sad that I'm excited at the idea that with these new 3DSes released, maybe I can find the classic DS or DSlite for dirt-cheap? At least in my area they're still running around $70 at stores.

And I am 0% surprised at fanboys accusing the upgrades for being for money.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-31, 13:00

I've secretly been eyeing one of these games. I think fondly back to my original monochrome Gameboy and figure this could be great the times I want to mindlessly veg. I just haven't been able to convince myself to make the jump. I have Minecraft on my MBP that I still love. My kids are having me play it with them more and more on my iPad and Xbox.

Of course there are also the other games I'm playing on the iPad and iPhone. Why do I need a Gameboy? I don't...but I want one. Zelda. Mario. I keep telling myself to get a WiiU but I can't bring myself to do that either. I'm so torn.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-08-31, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Is it sad that I'm excited at the idea that with these new 3DSes released, maybe I can find the classic DS or DSlite for dirt-cheap? At least in my area they're still running around $70 at stores.
GameStop currently sells "refurbished" DS lites for $59.99 and original DSes for $49.99. They're refurbished by GameStop, not Nintendo, but that's still probably a better bet than just taking your chances with a pawn shop model.

But if you can spring it, I'd go for a used 2DS. The 2DS plays all regular DS games, and it also plays all 3DS games in 2D mode, so you can play all the latest games too. It's also sooo comfortable. The 2DS is on sale for $99 new pretty regularly—like this week, at Target—and GameStop's refurbs are $89, but I've seen used ones for pretty cheap elsewhere. And they're pretty bulletproof and also haven't been out that long, so if you find one in a pawn shop that's in good shape it shouldn't give you any problems (it's the hinges that break, and the 2DS has no hinges).

The 2DS is probably what I'd recommend for turtle too. They're cheap enough to just pick up for kicks, and they play everything, and the slate form factor hits my Game Boy nostalgia buttons. And if you're an adult with larger hands, you might find it way more comfortable than the clamshells. You don't get the 3D, but to be honest I leave that off most of the time anyway (it's cool when you can see it, but keeping your head in just the right spot is kind of a pain). $99 gets you into a huge and growing library, and you can even download old Nintendo and Game Boy classics to it.

In case you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the 2DS. It really is the under-appreciated black sheep of the line—everybody laughed at it for being weird and ugly, lol Nintendo, but it's made to be held, not looked at. I've found myself playing 3DS games way more often since adding a 2DS to my, ahem, collection. And it really is an unbeatable value.

But YMMV, of course. A lot of people feel like they need the giant XL screens.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-01, 20:50

Check Craigslist for used (3)DSes. They are plentiful and can be had for cheap.