User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iTunes gapless playback? How does it work?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes gapless playback? How does it work?
irchs

2006-09-13, 06:05

Hello!

I've been reading about the gapless playback feature in iTunes 7, and I am confused as to how it works. I have read that some have been setting the Gapless album mark on their albums, some have re-ripped their albums to get gapless playback?

My experience so far is that I haven't changed anything, checked any gapless album boxes, and gapless is working fine for me. I literally installed iTunes 7, started it, and I had gapless playback (Once it did that initial gapless information thing).

The way I thought gapless playback should work: As iTunes approaches the end of the play time of a track, it looks at the next track, and makes sure that the first part of that song is properly cached in order to fill the "play buffer" with that information as soon as the previous track stream has ended. And this happens regardless of whether the two tracks are on the same album, or even the same artist, it doesn't matter what tracks they are, EVERYTHING is played back gapless?

This is the way it seems to be working for me at the moment, and I am not complaining I just saw that there was a lot of conflicting stories out there, and I wanted to know exactly how this new iTunes feature works

Also, and this is pure speculation but makes sense to me, the gapless information scan when you first open iTunes 7, I assume this is purely for the benefit of the iPod's since it is underpowered and possibly can't handle proper gapless playback as stated above?

Jan
MagSafe

2006-09-13, 06:39

I got a bit confused at first because it did the same to me, make everything in my library gapless automatically, but then it was crossfading everything by 5 seconds ... which was extremely annoying.

I turned the crossfading off though and it's working fine now though

I use my iPod Hi-Fi for listening to my music though so doubt i'll be using the new feature much.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock