User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Most Awesome iPhone 5s Protective Case Showdown - BRING IT!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Most Awesome iPhone 5s Protective Case Showdown - BRING IT!!!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-24, 08:44

I looked to see if we had a dedicated discussion of cases for iPhones and the last one we had was from 2009, about the 3Gs.

Since I'm looking to move up to the latest edition I'd like to see what's out there.

I know about Apple's leather Case.

I know about the Otterbox Defender.

I know about the Mophie juice pack.

I even know about the Sector 5 special ops case!

So what am I missing?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-09-24, 09:24

iPod socks is where it's at.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-24, 11:35

iSkin always has some cool, interesting stuff.

Also Marware
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-09-25, 14:43

I'm using an Incipio NGP case for my iPhone 4s right now and I love it. It's not very bulky, it's a soft rubberized feel without being sticky (no pocket lint sticking to it), it hasn't stretched at all, and it doesn't take away from the look of the phone much.

I have no experience with the equivalent 5 or 5s case, but I'm strongly considering getting another one simply because of how well this one has performed. They're both under $10 on Amazon right now so it's a good deal as well.

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-26, 23:20

What do you think about this thing?

The Spigen cover.

SpecMode
Wait what

2013-09-26, 23:40

If I were in the market for a case, I would probably end up going with this.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2013-09-27, 00:48

http://www.tech21.uk.com/Product/iph...pact_band_blue

The case I bought. I love the color and it makes my white iPhone 5 look amazing.
Eugene
careful with axes

2013-09-27, 03:44

Almost a week since buying the Apple leather case and no complaints still. All I want is minimal protection against surface scratches...a couple feet of drop protection is a bonus. It's understated and lets the iPhone 5S show off its size and weight.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-27, 06:17

The only thing about the Apple case I don't care for is that it doesn't seem to offer any raised curbs in the front, to help with impact.

I really dig the case that Spec has shown, but it won't work with the fingerprint thingy. Does the fingerprint thing do more than just unlock your phone? If not, then I might think about that one.

Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-09-27, 07:06

To clarify, they've got two different versions of the TAKTIK case: the EXTREME doesn't work with Touch ID because it covers both the top and bottom front panels, making the fingerprint sensor inaccessible. (It also adds a layer of Gorilla Glass across the display for added scratch/impact protection.) The version I linked to, the STRIKE, doesn't have those extra coverings, leaving the Touch ID sensor accessible and functional.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-27, 07:25

Crap, yes, I got lost on the website and forgot... it was still early in the morning is my excuse.

I really like the color options on the Extreme.

Perhaps after the first wave of iPhone 5s fever has passed they'll roll out some more color options for the Taktik Strike (we know you're reading this Taktik social media crew).

Captain Drew on Twitter
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2013-09-27, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Almost a week since buying the Apple leather case and no complaints still. All I want is minimal protection against surface scratches...a couple feet of drop protection is a bonus. It's understated and lets the iPhone 5S show off its size and weight.
I'm thinking about getting one even though the price is high. Just trying to decide on the color. I have a black phone and the black case looks nice though I'm tempted by the brown.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-09-28, 14:06

I decided to ditch the Incipio NGP case for my 5S. I read extensive reviews, Wirecutter, iLounge, some assholes on youtube, etc. I settled on the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. Dumb name, looks like an excellent case though.

Most reviewers liked how thin it is so it retains the look and feel of the 5, but still gives moderate protection against drops. I got the orange and black and the black and gray cases, I got the blue one for the wife at her request. I'll let you know how they work out when I have both the phone and the case. They're cheap on Amazon right now, between $10 and $15.

Come waste your time with me
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-10-17, 00:32

Just wanted to post a note that I went with the Taktik, so thanks Spec.

Drewprops' 10 Observations about the Lunatik Strike:

1. if you buy this case note the allen wrench is molded into front of case, but there's no documentation to tell you to look there, so if you overlook it you'll be scratching your head for a while.

2. you really DO have to screw it in, so that makes quick access a no-go

3. the case fits nicely, the mute button isn't very tall so moving it from on/off requires you to sort of "pinch" the case there so you can feel it make the vibe, when going silent.

4. the earphone cover lever is VERY tight to begin with, though I expect it to be much more free within a few months

5. it really seems to add to the bulk/size of the phone, but it felt immediately less likely to get broken once it was in this armor

6. you'll need to really push your earphones WAY up in that hole to get them to snap into place

7. if you plan to use a dongle to transition from the phone to an old 30-pin connector be sure to get the one with 0.2 meters of cable on the Lightning end, as the stubby adaptor won't fit.

8. I wanted more colors and know there'll be more, eventually, but the black seemed a good start. You an order color variations for the earphone lever/plug via their repair process, since they're a standard size from unit to unit, but you can't order them a new order. Must be separate.

9. you MAY have to alter the way you plop your phone on the fingerprint reader because it's right next toe the edge of the bezel of the phone case.

10. the power button is extra hard to make click, but you'll learn to adapt the way you hold the phone to make it click (for instance, when taking screenshots of your phone)

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-03, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
To clarify, they've got two different versions of the TAKTIK case: the EXTREME doesn't work with Touch ID because it covers both the top and bottom front panels, making the fingerprint sensor inaccessible. (It also adds a layer of Gorilla Glass across the display for added scratch/impact protection.) The version I linked to, the STRIKE, doesn't have those extra coverings, leaving the Touch ID sensor accessible and functional.
I knew I'd find this post! I have one of these cases now. I got the Strike to go with my 5S and Touch ID sensor. I love the case, but man is it big compared to the leather/plastic one from Apple I had on it until last week. Forgive the iPad Mini quality photos, it was easier than trying to make it happen with another camera since my wife's iPhone 5 is the one without the case in this and my 5S is in the case.

The biggest gripe I have with this case is that the vibrate button is horrible. Mine is so recessed that I have to pinch hard. Very hard to the point where I'm pushing down in the hole with the skin of my finger. I've gotten used to it, but it's a pain.

Overall I do like it though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-05-03, 20:48

Good lord that thing is pointlessly huge. I can understand edge cases needing some additional padding, but yikes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-03, 22:03

It really is large. I feel fine about dropping it, though I haven't yet nor did I in my Apple Case. Another thing about this case that slightly annoys me (but I knew would be an issue) is the earphone jack. I'm stuck using Apple's or similarly small plug earphone. So much for my Shure ear phones.

I am very pleased that getting to the Lighting adapter is easy so listening to my phone with my car stereo while charing is no problem at all. Slightly less convenient, but not bad.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-05-03, 23:03

I can't use very many 1/8" plugs on my official Apple leather case either, so that's not really a surprise. How big is that cat tree?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-03, 23:06

Massive. 80" tall. Our cat (yes one) loves it though. We don't let the kids touch the cat when he's on the tree anywhere.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-04, 00:32

Awesome T!!!!!

I've had mine now for many months and have grown quite accustomed to its feel. The vibrate button will loosen up over time, so don't worry. There's a certain satisfied feeling I have when closing that metal bar down to plug up the earphone socket AND if you write to them you can order anodized colored versions of that "lever". BUT they're not a solid red, as it might be if it were molded from plastic - it's that "aluminum covered in dye" look.

I only use my Apple earphones, but sometimes I want to jack it into something else and have been meaning to purchase an extension cable to have "just in case".

No fear when it falls.

None.

Otterbox? OtterNOT. This thing is tougher.

Captain Drew on Twitter
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2014-05-04, 09:00

I've been using this case from Evutec for a few months now. It's pretty nice. Supposedly made out of kevlar. Of course it's ludicrously expensive at $49.99 but I was able to get one for $28. They make a slimmer one too that is cheaper but it doesn't cover the top of the phone. It's certainly more durable than the Apple case I was previously using.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-04, 11:47

The spelling error in the graphic is darned distracting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-05-06, 03:04

I don't know what you mean. Surely you can't reisst buying it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-01, 00:24

My case broke.

Click of big if you care to look at it.

I didn't even drop it. It is like a stress fracture or something. Oh well. Back to my original Apple leather case.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2015-02-01, 14:48

Considering the sheer size of that thing, I can understand if you feel a little disappointed.

I got my a semi rugged Cygnett case for my then new iPhone 5 two years ago and while the case is a little worn by now there is no doubt that it is the reason why I still have an iPhone 5 and not a later model.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-02-01, 14:54

Turtle mine has had that EXACT SAME stress fracture for at least 6 months now. It still works okay, but it's evidence that the people who designed this probably didn't do it at an "engineering" level, with equipment to study the stresses, etc.

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-02-01, 14:56

Also: the rubber flap that covers the data port finally tore through and came off, so there's no moisture protection there any more.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-01, 21:45

I'm not keeping mine. There is no point with the amount if in an out of my pocket it typically does. The first time it snagged my finger was the moment I realized it was time to come off.

The fact that your case is exactly the same just makes me pout a little. I had such high hopes for this being a great protective case. Oh well. 9 months seems like a short time to have a "drop proof" case that you never dropped.

I just sent them an email:
Quote:
http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...665#post789665

I posted this on a forum I use regularly where someone else had bought your case thinking this would protect my phone. There is a crack along the back of the case by the vibrate switch now. I never even dropped my phone.

I didn’t order though your site but did through Amazon on April 19, 2014. Is there anything you guys are willing to do to make this right? On your site you offer a 1 year warranty but that seems to be limited to orders made through your site. Is there anything you can do to make this a happy ending for both of us?
I'll post what kind of response I get from them.

Last edited by turtle : 2015-02-01 at 21:59.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-02-01, 21:59

Good luck!!

*site

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-02-01, 22:01

I noticed I spelled it wrong once in the email I sent but have already fixed it here.