iPhone 7 potential leaked image

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 7 potential leaked image
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-03-16, 16:11

Just saw this:

Looks like the big points are a dual lens camera and no headphone jack.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-03-16, 16:27

Also the ellipsis Smart Connector.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2016-03-16, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Also the ellipsis Smart Connector.
This is new to me. Google/Applenova didn't seem to have much on it. Is it like qi wireless charging with data?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-16, 18:53

Kinda neat (if it's legit), how they've gotten rid of all the panels, lines, breaks, etc. It just looks like a current iPhone in a silver case. Neat.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-03-16, 19:37

That smart connector is definitely something new that I haven't heard.

It works really well on my iPad Pro. It would be awesome if that is somehow connected to a new charging method, in the way of making the iPhone waterproof.

I could also see the dual lens camera being a 7+ type deal.

Going to be an interesting time until the iPhone 7 is announced.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-03-17, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
That smart connector is definitely something new that I haven't heard.

It works really well on my iPad Pro. It would be awesome if that is somehow connected to a new charging method, in the way of making the iPhone waterproof.

I could also see the dual lens camera being a 7+ type deal.

Going to be an interesting time until the iPhone 7 is announced.
Is it possible Apple would ditch the Lightning Cable?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-03-17, 09:01

I don't know if they would get rid of the cable, but it may make it easier to do waterproofing its it wasn't used for charging.

Maybe still there as an accessory port?

I hadn't heard anything about the Smart Connector on the iPhone, so this is definitely interesting.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-03-17, 14:54

Just to be clear, I haven't heard anything either, I'm simply looking at the triple dots in the image that Luca posted.

Hell, they could be antennas peeping out for all I know.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-03-17, 14:57

Yeah, the was the first thing I thought when I saw the dots as well. It looks just like the iPad Pro connector.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-03-17, 15:17

I am preparing my old man speech about the loss of an earphone jack.

My press secretary will be making an announcement regarding the details.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-17, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I am preparing my old man speech about the loss of an earphone jack.
I'm already sad about the inevitable.

I'm due to replace my 5S this year, and I'm very likely going to just buy a 6S once their price drops post-7. That should grant me enough time to grieve and let 3rd-parties (I'm looking at you Monoprice!) come up with cheap adapters for however the new devices are supposed to connect.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-03-18, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I don't know if they would get rid of the cable, but it may make it easier to do waterproofing its it wasn't used for charging.

Maybe still there as an accessory port?

I hadn't heard anything about the Smart Connector on the iPhone, so this is definitely interesting.
I have a feeling that the smart connector will kill off the lightning cable/connector and thus allow Apple to waterproof the iPhone.

There is really no reason to have both the smart connector and the lightning plug as far as I can tell (even though the iPad Pro currently does).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-19, 13:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
There is really no reason to have both the smart connector and the lightning plug as far as I can tell (even though the iPad Pro currently does).
For charging?

I know the Smart Connector can provide power to a device, but I'm not sure it can get power from a device. Plus, there are things like VGA, HDMI, headphones, etc. that would have no way to connect. The Smart Connector has no capacity to hang onto a dongle (like, say, HDMI). That isn't to say that such things aren't in the works, by I doubt it is coming anytime soon.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-19, 14:37

Looking again at the photo above in the first post...despite all the advances/improvements in digital and mobile photography in the past 5-7 years, these "leaked spy-shots" of unreleased Apple gear still manage to be the most shitty, awful photographs ever taken by man.

Yeah, yeah...I know. The person snapping it was taking a huge risk and only had time to snap a tilted, off-center and fuzzy shot before they were caught. Such is the life of those who spend every day giving the finger to the NDA and confidentiality documents! **cue Mission: Impossible theme**

There are photos of Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster that look better than some of these "from a factory somewhere in China" shots over the years.

I'm surprised no enterprising, tech-minded millennial hasn't written an irony-dripping $3.99 app (iLeak? iSpy?) that randomly crops, rotates and adds blur/grain to your otherwise nice-looking iPhone pics.

"Make your own snapshots and selfies look like shitball Asian spy photography of upcoming Apple gear! FOUR STARS!!" - iRumourz.com
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2016-03-20, 00:14

It's real, though that's clearly the 7 Plus (or Pro or whatever, the 5.5" model); the regular iPhone 7 doesn't seem to have the dual cameras. But the camera is pushed up into that corner so it matches the corner's curve nicely, there is still a camera bump (though it's integrated into the case better), &c. Fewer antenna lines, too. And of course, it's thinner, though the 7's battery is apparently bigger than the one in the 6S.

But I can already hear people complaining that the design isn't new enough, even though it's new in pretty much every way. The curved edges aren't new, so it's basically "just another 6" or whatever. Like if they had just given it the iPad/iPod's chamfered edge, then it would be an all-new phone, somehow. People are dumb.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-03-20, 00:27

Yes they are. I don't know what some people expect. People act like if the iPhone doesn't get a drastic redesign on every cycle, somehow Apple's messing up.

Like most of their hardware at this point, they've distilled it down to the most simple, basic and uncluttered form. Which, to me, is cool (although it kinda paints them in a corner in some ways, and especially if they keep riding that "thin first!" train so hard; but that's for them to worry about/figure out). As we talked about in another thread, it's kinda easy these days to imagine what the next Mac or iWhatever will look like (vs. 10-15 years ago when they were obviously smoking tons of dope and putting out Key Lime iBooks, "sunflower" iMacs, Smurfy towers, computers with polka dots and flowers, Kleenex box pro machines, etc.).

I said three years ago in some thread here that if the iPhone stayed in the 5 case/design for the next decade it wouldn't bother me one bit. And I meant it (which is why the notion of this upcoming 4" model possibly looking a bit like the 5/5s doesn't bother me at all). Some designs just work and I don't mind if they stick around (the iMac, despite a few material and dimension tweaks) has basically remained the same design since fall of 2004. It works for what it is. Refine/tweak as needed, but if they don't have a better idea for an LCD-based AIO, it would be silly to put something out just for the sake of change. I used to not think this way, but...I've gotten older and don't think the way I once did about such things.

I know I ride their ass about some of the things they do lately, but I don't wring my hands over iPhones not getting drastic design overhauls "just because" every 1-2 years. That seems like the sort of thing teenage dipshits on Reddit and YouTube squawk over.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-03-20 at 00:38.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-03-20, 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
For charging?

I know the Smart Connector can provide power to a device, but I'm not sure it can get power from a device. Plus, there are things like VGA, HDMI, headphones, etc. that would have no way to connect. The Smart Connector has no capacity to hang onto a dongle (like, say, HDMI). That isn't to say that such things aren't in the works, by I doubt it is coming anytime soon.
Apple is reportedly working on wireless charging. I don't see any reason by the smart connector can't charge via contact.

Not sure the ability to connect to VGA and HDMI is very important to Apple with the iPhone. and headphones.... already reported they are possibly going wireless.

Apple clearly sees the future as wireless connectivity and it sure makes waterproofing the iPhone much easier (which has been widely reported to be a focus of Apple).

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2016-03-20 at 21:50.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2016-03-20, 18:08

The Apple Watch charger doesn't make electrical contact, does it? Why couldn't the iPhone charger work the same way?

If power can flow one way, it can sure flow the other way too...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-03-20, 21:52

the most disappointing aspect of the iPhone 7 rumors to me is that the 4.7" model is further becoming less of the premier iPhone by feature set... if Apple really reserves the dual lens camera only for the 5.5"
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-20, 23:36

I've seen that from the beginning though. Why can't I landscape my 4.7" screen? I spend most of my time using the phone in landscape when I'm not talking on it. Optical image stabilization is another. They will argue it's because of space... Really it's to justify the $100 bump in price.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
joshuapaul

2016-03-29, 23:55

i think apple is trying to smash other mobile phones market. I mean just look at this picture this is bigger than the man's face :-p
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-04-01, 04:53

:-p
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-04-01, 05:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuapaul View Post
i think apple is trying to smash other mobile phones market. I mean just look at this picture this is bigger than the man's face :-p
Almost as big as the hate-ban you're about to incur, cock-snapper.

Red is really your color.
isaboss1390

2016-04-01, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Kinda neat (if it's legit), how they've gotten rid of all the panels, lines, breaks, etc. It just looks like a current iPhone in a silver case. Neat.
Kinda what I'm thinking but if it's not then great! I've been waiting for a leak of this for a while.
Eugene
careful with axes

2016-04-01, 11:45

Is it bad that I can't discern teenagers from robots?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-04-01, 11:52

Hey, he used an emoji!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-05-20, 13:24

It's increasingly looking like the 5.5" is going to have the dual camera lens and the 4.7" won't.

I'm really not liking that Apple is moving to an iPhone lineup where some of the best features are not available on the most popular and reasonably sized iPhone.

The 4.7" should be the flagship. It should have everything the 5.5" has, except the bigger screen and longer battery life.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-20, 13:39

I happen to agree with you on this completely. I want the features of the 5.5" phone but don't want the size. I carry my DSLR less and less these days and use my phone more and more. Right now my phone has better image quality than my DSLR so it makes sense, other than the lack of interchangeable lenses.

I miss my stylus. I know Jobs said I didn't want it, but he was wrong. I want the highest quality camera available on my phone since I have it with me everywhere I go.

The flagship phone should be the 4.7" and the 4" and 5.5" be niche markets.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2016-05-20, 15:17

Another agreement on the 4.7" vs the 5.5" issue. Why is it that the 6s+ camera has image stabilization, but not the 6s? I highly doubt it's a space issue.

As for image quality, if your iPhone is better than your DSLR, it's only because your DSLR is ancient. Even the cheapest DSLR's/mirrorless cameras today make the iPhone look like a toy camera of yesteryear when viewed on a screen larger than an iPhone.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-05-20, 15:24

Does a ten year old DSLR count as ancient? My Rebel XT takes fantastic pictures, but it is slightly less than modern even by loose standards. Sure I can upgrade it, but my major photography days seem to be behind me. They are certainly less of a priority to me now. I do miss that too.