Flap Out 52 78.79%
Flap In 5 7.58%
I really don't care 9 13.64%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Toilet Paper: In or Out?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
SledgeHammer

2005-12-12, 00:34

So, flap out (towards you) or in (towards the wall), which is it? And why (if there is one). Personally, I hang it out. My wife, however, usually hangs it in. I'm learning to compromise. I hang it out because I always have, not really for any other reason. In one of our bathrooms though, there is very little room between the wall and one's leg while sitting, and in seems to work a little better in that situation. Also, in seems to make it a little less likely that the cat will empty the entire roll onto the floor. Still though, I generally feel that in is somehow wrong.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-12, 00:36

Out. Easier to grab.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-12-12, 00:43

My wife does the same thing (hangs it in) I don't understand the hanging it in types.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-12-12, 00:51

that's so weird, what reasons for doing this do your wives give?
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 01:04

I don't think I've ever seen someone with their toilet paper hanging in any more than just occasionally. To me, leaving it over the top makes a lot more sense.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-12-12, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
that's so weird, what reasons for doing this do your wives give?
She said it was to stop the toilet paper getting wet. In our old apartment, our bathroom was about a meter and a half squared, asian style (the bathroom not the toilet, that was normal) so the shower, sink, and toilet were all crammed into this little closet like space.

I don't make a big deal of it, if I see it and it happens to bug me that day, I just switch it around to how it should be. She doesn't seem to notice and really, it's a non issue
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-12, 01:06

Now that I think about it, the only people I know that hang it out are my grandparents.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 01:17

I hang it out, the correct way.

sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 01:23

Yes, I rock out, with my toilet paper out.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-12-12, 01:38

It depends for me. If the hanger is high off the ground with lots of space it goes around back.

However, if there is a garbage can underneath it, I will hang it over the front so that I get the maximum length before the tp gets to the garbage can.
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 03:16

Always out. My wife doesn't care about these things so if she changes it, it's a crap shoot (so to speak). If I see it 'in', I change it immediately. Why? Who knows, but maybe it's because that's how it was when I was a kid. (Kind of like the Colgate or Crest households (Colgate).
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-12-12, 03:20

I prefer out, but in the interest of keeping it on the roll I set it in if there are cats around.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-12, 06:32

Depends on where the holder is.

At my house, the holder is right next to me, and it works better if the paper is "out".

In my parents' pre-renovated bathroom, the holder was behind you, on the wall next to the toilet's tank. It just plain worked better if the roll was "in". If it was the other way, it was more difficult to tear off a piece.

Now they've got a holder that's a metal rod which holds the rolls vertically. We all know that toilet paper rolls are easiest to manage when you can hold them in your other hand, so this allows people to do that.
autodata
hustlin

2005-12-12, 09:00

I'm sensing a theme
BFG

2005-12-12, 09:58

Woah... hanging 'in' would just be weird.
JLL

2005-12-12, 10:02

Out.
SledgeHammer

2005-12-12, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodata
I swear I did a search. Let me try again...oh, I see, there are two pages of results. Oh well. It's fun anyway.
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-12-12, 11:11

In. Looks nicer. When it's out, it's like it just screams "Hey! I'm the toilet paper, look at me, grab me!! Wipe your ass!"

I prefer for the "yo, I'm here when you need me, bro" attitude a casually in-hanging toilet paper roll exudes. Kind of hidden, like the cool guy leaning back against the wall in the shadows. Not in your face, but he's there to clean up your mess if any shit goes down.
¡Damned!

2005-12-12, 11:14

Thanks, man. I was feeling lonely there.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-12-12, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
In. Looks nicer. When it's out, it's like it just screams "Hey! I'm the toilet paper, look at me, grab me!! Wipe your ass!"

I prefer for the "yo, I'm here when you need me, bro" attitude a casually in-hanging toilet paper roll exudes. Kind of hidden, like the cool guy leaning back against the wall in the shadows. Not in your face, but he's there to clean up your mess if any shit goes down.
I don't want any question in the mind of the shitter if they are using the TP or not. If only they made bright orange TP...I'd be happy, and pscates would be ecstatic.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 13:31

Out - Because you can spin it in a downward motion, putting your hand in the right spot to grab the unspooled sqaures. Otherwise, I'm sure it'd take .5 seconds longer per wipe as you'd have to use two seperate motions.

On the other hand, I had a friend with a cat who used this justification:

In - Because otherwise the cat would unspool the whole thing for daily entertainment.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-12-12, 15:15

Out out out. Hmm... those charmin mega-rolls are funny... Barely fits even with their extender wand.

Wonder what's next? charmin ultra-mega-rolls??
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
Wonder what's next? charmin ultra-mega-rolls??
i think they do have those. one roll is like equal to a 12-pack
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-12-12, 15:53

Out, obviously.

I always immediately notice when its in.

But in my flat, we don't have a tp holder, so I just hold it in my other hand.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-12, 19:26

Definitely *OUT*.

MUCH easier that way.

I really REALLY don't like it the *other* way. Very annoying.

And to all those who like it *the wrong way*.

Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2005-12-12, 23:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
i think they do have those. one roll is like equal to a 12-pack
Yeah, they have those. They're called industrial toilet paper rolls. The point is rather moot when you steal your toilet paper from your college, and have these industrial types sitting on the back of the toilet.

Hm... clockwise or counterclockwise?
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-12, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
I don't want any question in the mind of the shitter if they are using the TP or not.
Reminds me of a joke...

"What's the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?"

"I dunno, what?"

"Well, YOU aren't gonna be using MY bathroom!"
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-12-13, 00:17

I used to hang it in but then (I swear this is true) I read a study that said more women put the roll toward the wall (inside) and more men put the roll toward the outside. I was probably a teenager and immediately began hanging it to the outside just to ensure that I was a man. I've been doing it this way for so long that I don't even think about it BUT I have to say that I accidentally ran off about ten feet of tissue paper one time in the dark when someone else had hung the roll toward the inside... don't ask me how I did it. I cussed at how somebody had put the roll on "backwards".

I'm sure that the men vs. women poll is out there on the web and..... hey, this isn't some kind of psychology class experiment is it?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
Yeah, they have those. They're called industrial toilet paper rolls. The point is rather moot when you steal your toilet paper from your college, and have these industrial types sitting on the back of the toilet.

Hm... clockwise or counterclockwise?
Counterclockwise, of course.

...if you're right-handed.

Actually, I take that back. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'd have it clockwise... because if that big roll is sitting on the back of the tank, a person would get the tissue before sitting down. I'd use my right hand to lift the roll, and my left to pull out a length of tissue and tear it off.

(Yeah, we definitely have a classy site going for us here, folks. )
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-12-14, 11:15

Sad thing is that my dad was so fed up with getting more toilet paper that he wanted to buy one of those industrial toilet paper holder/dispenser.