AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple Media Event September 9

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Media Event September 9
Page 2 of 6 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-08, 16:08

Surely this project isn't so far along that they could show such a thing off.

They could, however, maybe show off some large-scale/real-life CarPlay or HomeKit stuff? Although that seems a bit hammy and a logistical hassle (building fake rooms or having two cars putt-putt around).

They booked that larger venue for a reason, but damned if I can figure it out (perhaps the others they use were booked?)

Is this Bill Graham place broken up into a couple of performance/exhibit venues (a main large one, then a secondary smaller room), or is it just the one? I ask because we have a place here in town where some big acts and events come...large-ish, with balcony seating, etc. But there's a smaller, secondary venue in the same building (under 1,000). I've seen larger, higher-profile acts in the main hall (Vince Gill, etc.) and folks like Michael Hedges (years ago, of course) in the smaller room in a more intimate, closer-to-the-stage setting.

Is there such a setup at this Graham place, and maybe Apple is using the smaller one that's roughly the size of what they're used to (but, for whatever reason, weren't able to book it for this go-around?). Are we 100% certain that the main 7,000-seat hall is what Apple is using?
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-09-08, 17:46

No. Just the main hall.

It's possible and likely that they will hang curtains around the perimeter of the floor to create a smaller venue and hide the empty balcony.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-09-08, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Uncle Kick is a bit late to said speculation.

But, that's what happens when you get old.

Get off mah lawn!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2015-09-08, 17:47

Gruber had the best theory on this, IMHO. Apple has been setting up huge pop up "Apple Stores for a day" tents at the last few events.

With the Graham center, they can now do all of that demoing inside, instead of setting up a giant place outside.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-08, 17:57

Apple knows the timing of their events far enough in advance that I doubt it was a booking issue. I think there is more to it than that. It could be that Apple isn't using the provided stage and is building their own; or it could be that they need the floor space to show something off. Car manufacturers typically show concepts years before final production in order to gauge public interest. This is because a new phone or watch might cost several hundred million to develop, but a new car will cost ten times that much. No one wants to invest that much money unless they can gauge the public interest, first.

Still, I don't think it's a car.

I think they have more invitees (Hollywood and gaming as Gruber points out) for the Apple TV end of things, and the other venues couldn't provide enough seating.

However, if a car does roll out of the back, expect the crowd to go bananas and every techno-nerd on the planet to drool their selves into a puddle. I can tell you it's gonna have to be a pretty fantastic design with a pretty fantastic drive train and a pretty fantastic cost to get me excited. Another "eco" car targeted at the elite is of no interest to me.

I just looked at my Fiesta's average MPG and, at 38.9 in the city and a $14,000 price, no eco-car out there is yet tempting enough to turn me off of good ol' petrol.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-08, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Get off mah lawn, you little whipper-snapper!
FTFY
¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 10:51

Who's excited? I'm excited!

Especially for the tv and tvOS. My current one is getting flakey so a brand spanking new one with a new OS and new controller is a no-brainer, even at $149-$199. Games, whatever. I'm sure I'll buy a few just to see what's what. Could be fun with a couple of Wii-type games.

It's time for a new phone for me as well, so any added goodness is a bonus – I have to buy either way. I do hope that they fix the camera bulge on the back... that bugs me. I was really hoping for a iPhone 4 sized 6S, but c'est la vie. Can't have it all I guess.

So it goes.
Dutch Pear

2015-09-09, 11:06

Pretty excited as well, both about the new appleTV and the possibility of iPad pro goodness!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-09, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
… Games …
Hmmm …

Can you say "Minecraft"?

¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 11:20

Yeah, the iPad Pro will be interesting. I'm curious if Apple will have to offer some sort of Surface-style integrated keyboard cover doohickey if they're going after the business market with this thing. I still think eventually the iPads are going to be able to be used as 'dumb screens' and connect to an OSX base when you need to be running those programs. Maybe USB3.1 is the key there and it'll happen in the next year or so.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hmmm …

Can you say "Minecraft"?

I've never been a console gamer, always PC, so I don't even know if I'd like playing on a teevee with a controller. I doubt it. WASD for life!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-09, 11:41

Yeah, but what if you can pair a Bluetooth QWERTY?

That's it! You're out of excuses!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2015-09-09, 11:45

Oh, dear.

So, two things.

1) Apple built it's own stage on the floor, just as I predicted. Thus, the floor space will not be used to reveal a car.

2) Barry Bonds and Joe Montana were spotted at the event. What do they have in common, besides their San Francisco affiliations? SPORTS! Apple TV will reveal all-sports, all the time!

Edit: Make that three things.

3) Also, with the placement of their own stage, Apple cuts out at least a third of the seating, which means they never intended to fill the place to capacity. It looks as though the 7000 capacity is cut down to perhaps 4000. So, Yerba Buena couldn't handle the capacity Apple wanted, and this joint was slightly too big. Still, Apple needed more room, because people are being invited from new sectors: Hollywood, gaming, sports.

Today, Eddie Cue tweeted "It's a big day for the big screen". I just hope Apple has aimed very high.

Also, Apple is overlaying Beats One on the video feed. How's that for promotion?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2015-09-09 at 11:55. Reason: new things to thing about
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 11:46

I don't have to be at work till later so I'm settled in with my Apple TV and the Apple Event channel. I like this era of live feeds after the drought. I wonder if this is actually going to be a really big event, as some have thought the venue suggests?

A lot of people are expecting new iPads to be included, but Gruber makes a pretty convincing case that they'll hold off to the usual October second event. After all, with Apple Watch updates, Apple TV big announcement and new iPhones, they already have a pretty full schedule. We'll see in.... ten minutes.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 11:51

Eddie Cue tweets "Big day for the big screen", so that certainly would be the new Apple TV, but could just as well reference a big iPad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-09, 11:57

Playing "spot the tech blogger/pundit" in Apple's live "crowd cam".

Hard to miss Jim Dalrymple, huh? It's like Robert Blake and ZZ Top had a baby.
¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
I don't have to be at work till later so I'm settled in with my Apple TV and the Apple Event channel.
Me too! This'll be the first time I've watched through the AppleTV app, so, kinda fun. Got my veggie sloppy joes, potato salad and cole slaw at the ready.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-09-09, 12:02

Bottled water and bubble gum here (I had a late big breakfast).
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:04

Still relatively early here so just coffee for me. Here we go.... Monster announcements! No time for updates!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:04

Monster announcements?

APPLE CABLES!

Wait...
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:06

Hmmm... "no time for updates" = no Apple Watch sales figures.
¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 12:07

TIL Stannis is in charge of the Apple watch.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:08

A very low key, kind of depressed Stannis.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:12

This is sort of weird. They kind of casually glossed over some of the new capabilities of the OS 2, and now are spending a chunk of time for a very narrowly targeted app for physicians. I mean, it's cool and maybe points to other, more general possibilities, but how many people are leaning forward going "At last, I can differentiate between the mother's heart rate and the baby's heart rate, right on my wrist!"

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-09-09, 12:18

At least the updates to Apple Watch don'e make me regret actually getting a first run. It's just new colors.

Also, watching this in my bed on my AppleTV is kinda cool!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:26

Odd. I can't seem to get the webcast going on my Mac. First time I've had an issue.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-09-09, 12:27

So iPad Pro is finally here. I like the look of it so far.
¡Damned!

2015-09-09, 12:30

Ha! Smart Keyboard.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:31

They're really going straight at Surface.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-09-09, 12:32

The ghost of Steve Jobs stalks onto stage and shoves the stylus up Phil's ass.