AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Buzz Aldrin's MIT graduate thesis

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buzz Aldrin's MIT graduate thesis
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-07-09, 09:00

Buzz the astronaut has accomplished many things in his 79 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin

He is well know for among other things being the second man to walk on the moon. Today I stumbled upon his MIT graduate thesis, Line-of-sight guidance techniques for manned orbital rendezvous, and have been mesmerized by its content, having read sizable swaths.

So this is what astronauts study before being astronauts? Well I'm glad somebody's doing it!! No wonder astronauts can make it into orbit and back again. Left up to me that would never happen.

Here's the link. Accessible .pdf is listed as Preview: Non-printable.

http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/12652

I have no other point but wanted to share this in case someone would also find it interesting.
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 09:10

He has a good right arm too.

This is what I respect about most astronauts, they not only have the brawn, but the brains as well. I respect them more than political officials.

Neil Armstrong has been invited to sign autographs and make a lot of money on it, but he respects his position in history and he is a modest, private man.

I respect that too.

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-07-09, 09:18

Buzz rules.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-07-09, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post
This is what I respect about most astronauts, they not only have the brawn, but the brains as well. I respect them more than political officials.
Why wouldn't you? They've actually done something, after all.

I respect the the woman at the Orange Julius stand at the mall more than "political officials".

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-07-09, 09:37

Quote:
On September 9, 2002, filmmaker Bart Sibrel, a proponent of the Apollo moon landing hoax theory, confronted Aldrin outside a Beverly Hills, California hotel. Sibrel said "You're the one who said you walked on the moon and you didn't" and called Aldrin "a coward, a liar, and a thief." Aldrin punched Sibrel in the face. Beverly Hills police and the city's prosecutor declined to file charges. Sibrel suffered no permanent injuries.
The last two sentences are great. Buzz Aldrin is such an awesome guy, no one would dare put him on trial for something so petty.

If you're gonna hate, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I respect the the woman at the Orange Julius stand at the mall more than "political officials".
LOL, and I respect garden slugs more than the vast majority of politicians.
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-07-09, 10:27

Read the thesis, the dude knows what he's doing!!
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Read the thesis, the dude knows what he's doing!!
From the Popular Mechanics article I linked...

Quote:
• Buzz Aldrin, lunar module pilot, Apollo 11: As I got down on the floor to sleep [the night before], I could see the broken head of a circuit breaker. It was the engine-arm circuit breaker—the one that’s got to be in to get electricity to turn the ascent engine on. Since it was on my side, obviously I would have to take the blame for my backpack knocking against things clumsily and breaking it off.

• Hal Loden, lunar module control officer (CONTROL), Black Team, Mission Control: That circuit breaker allowed the lunar guidance system to start the engine automatically—but there was another way to start the engine. We had redundancy. They would have had to hit a pushbutton manually at T minus zero.

• Aldrin: It looked as though there was enough left to push [the breaker] in. When the time came, I just said I was going to push it in with a pen.
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 10:34

"You are go to Continued Power Descent".
AWR
Veteran Member

2009-07-09, 10:54

Good article and video (I had read it - mine was just tongue in cheek).
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Good article and video (I had read it - mine was just tongue in cheek).
Thanks for the topic!

I was nine years old when "the Eagle" landed. I watched the mission on television down the shore the whole time, it was hard for my dad to get me to the beach sometimes. That evening of the landing was also unforgettable for my stupidity. After dinner I would go down onto the beach and take a walk. For some reason I walked a little farther than I should have.

Behind me I heard a rumble of thunder, I turned around and saw that a huge thunderstorm was heading towards shore and I had about 8 blocks to reach home before it hit. But it was too late.

I started running in the rain, lightning and wind and noticed a raft rental shack was nearby so I went over to it and it was unlocked. I went inside and "rode" the storm. For thirty minutes or more it raged, then finally subsided. When I left the shack it was already dark. I knew I was in trouble, but I didn't want to miss the Moon walk, so I tore home.

Boy, my parents were angry, but they wouldn't punish me that evening. They didn't want to make me miss history...

Oh, and let's not forget Command Module Pilot Michael Collins, the man who drove the getaway vehicle.

"I always question the received reality. The consensus reality is often intentionally misleading." - George Carlin
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2009-07-09, 11:54

I'm jealous of Buzz for doing two things I really want to do:
1. Land/walk on the moon
2. Punch a conspiracy theorist in the face
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Fixed. BTW I bet she has a midget fetish.
Scary? What's there to be afraid of?

OT: Astronaut Buzz Aldrin Recounts Apollo 11 UFO Encounter
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-07-09, 14:53

Buzz can handle it all... even Sasha Baron Cohen (back when he was Ali G).

Includes bonus MJ reference
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Buzz can handle it all... even Sasha Baron Cohen (back when he was Ali G).

Includes bonus MJ reference
My brain farted just watching that.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2009-07-09, 15:02

Eddie Izzard on what Neil and Buzz should have done...

Talking about the opportunity for the greatest prank ever.

Reading about Buzz punching the conspiracy theorist made me admire him even more. I think that once (if) I become a history prof, I will do a lecture on the whole space race thing and include that little tidbit.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-07-09, 16:22

Anybody else find Buzz's Thesis pdf absolutely crawls when rendering/redrawing?

11.8 Mb and 329 pages isn't terribly unusual as far as digital books or graphic novels go (Watchmen series is 200 MB), but I've never had a greyscale pdf scroll so slowly and cause Preview to lag even in basic menu function (even on my 2.5GHz Penryn MBP17 with 4GB of RAM).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Is it just a crap Acrobat conversion via tiff2pdf or a result of their security settings?

Is it bouncing off the moon or something?

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
@_@ Artman

2009-07-09, 16:32

Yeah, I noticed that too. Guess you got to "pay to play". What's with the restriction? Security purposes? Or is MIT just being pompous.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-07-09, 20:25

Buzz was the guy I wanted to be growing up. Not only an astronaut and smarter than fuckall, but also modest and incredibly passionate about his life. He struggled with depression after his mission to the moon, having fulfilled his dream and couldn't imagine life without that goal. But he persevered still!

...and he's a lefty! (of the sinister hand, not politically liberal)
domoore

2016-09-06, 05:48

Well, yeah, that is very interesting. I'm glad you've posted this. I just wonder whether the author wrote all this by himself or you've used something like writing my essay cheap service?
¡Damned!

2016-09-06, 06:03

I'll bet you know what your own poop tastes like. Intentionally.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-09-06, 09:47

I love you, man!
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2016-09-06, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoore View Post
Well, yeah, that is very interesting. I'm glad you've posted this. I just wonder whether the author wrote all this by himself or you've used something like writing my essay cheap service?
Die Filthy Spammer!

May you be staked out naked in an acid-filled swamp full of maniacally cranky Centipedes while your (puny) testicles get stuck in a Fire Ant hill.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Last edited by curiousuburb : 2016-09-06 at 19:51.
rosabrown

2017-10-02, 07:52

Unexpected discovery! Thank you for the impressive information. I did not know that cosmonauts had such a serious preparation. No, I knew that physically they need to be very hardy, but to get a graduate thesis... Impressive.

Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-10-02, 10:12

Why can't our new members not be spammer?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-10-02, 16:18

Because Facebook
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-10-02, 16:36

I hate Facebook even more now. I didn’t like them because the total lack of concern for my privacy. Even worse now that they are to blame for slowly killing our forum.*

*I kid, sort of.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2017-10-02 at 19:26. Reason: Edit: I did this post from my phone and noticed and error later. So I fixed it. (Don't get used to me fixing them though. :P)
jasonjones

2018-05-08, 06:11

MIT gratuates really need thesis paper help at https://www.google.com/. In my opinion it will be really usefull to them in the future.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-05-08, 11:55

Gratuates really need to learn to spell before they gratuate.

¡Damned!

2018-05-08, 12:22

This thread is a magnet for the turd-chewers.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-05-08, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Gratuates really need to learn to spell before they gratuate.

These puns are getting gratuitous.