User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Andrew Speaker, the TB guy - Now being sued!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Andrew Speaker matter? Select all that apply.
He was concerned about his own welfare above everyone else. 17 68.00%
Officials weren't emphatic enough when they told him not to fly. 9 36.00%
He committed a crime against public health by sneaking back into the US. 15 60.00%
He seems innocent of wrongdoing. 3 12.00%
He should be prosecuted for what he did. 13 52.00%
He should be sued by passengers who contract his disease. 17 68.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Andrew Speaker, the TB guy - Now being sued!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-09, 16:30

Weird. How come no one has started a thread about this guy, huh?

He really seems good at talking his way out accepting any blame for what he did.

How do you guys feel about him?

Do you think he's an innocent lamb, who didn't get accurate information before traveling to Europe?

"Oh, if I had only *known* they didn't want me to travel!" ( )

Or do you think he just did whatever he felt like doing, and the rest of us be damned?

To me, his MAIN concern certainly seemed to be centered on what was best for HIM, when he left Italy and flew to *Canada* - to avoid going through US Customs.

Poll up soon.

(Shut up, chucker! )

Edit:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/...osis_infection

http://bluestarchronicles.com/2007/0...ndrew-speaker/

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/05/31/...w-speaker-not/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279912,00.html

Last edited by Windswept : 2007-06-10 at 14:32.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-06-09, 16:33

From what little I've read and kept up with this, it seems he knowingly did this and knew that he was engaging in some questionable stuff. So that makes him a shithead. A culpable shithead on the hook for anyone else on that flight who gets sick.

But that's just me. I tend to come down hard on the oblivitard set, as most here know.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-09, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
(Shut up, chucker! )
*munches on popcorn*
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-09, 16:36

Yeah, Paul, I thought *you* would have started this thread days and days ago.

But you were on vacation, right? So that explains that.

Oh, and chucker would be proud. I think I got that poll up in record time.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-06-09, 16:38

His behavior is socially unacceptable, and I wouldn't blame passengers for suing him.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-09, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
*munches on popcorn*
Anonymous Coward

2007-06-09, 16:42

I wasn't surprised at his actions after hearing he is a lawyer.

Sometimes people of that mindset, particularly people who aren't necessarily lawyers but think they should be, are more focused on, "What can I get away with, within my interpretation of the law" rather than "Is this right?" or "Is it in everyone's best interest".
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-09, 16:49

He and his dad are personal injury lawyers.

Does that seem a bit ironic to anyone else here?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-06-09, 16:54

Quote:
He and his dad are personal injury lawyers.

Does that seem a bit ironic to anyone else here?
AND his father-in-law works at the CDC in the rare TB lab. How's that for irony?

I think he knew what he was doing; not necessarily the gravity of it, but that he was doing something he shouldn't be. The whole drive through Canada to get into the US thing takes the cake. But what about the customs person who let him through because he "didn't look sick". How's that for national security?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-09, 17:11

Yes, I keep my head in the ground and refuse to watch TV and read the newspapers; Would someone post a link please? I have no idea what you're talking about. Then again, how about a synopsis for those who wish to not be subjected to the media?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-06-09, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Yes, I keep my head in the ground and refuse to watch TV and read the newspapers; Would someone post a link please? I have no idea what you're talking about. Then again, how about a synopsis for those who wish to not be subjected to the media?
There's always Wikipedia.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-09, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
AND his father-in-law works at the CDC in the rare TB lab. How's that for irony?
Yeah, that's almost unbelievable, isn't it?

Quote:
I think he knew what he was doing; not necessarily the gravity of it, but that he was doing something he shouldn't be. The whole drive through Canada to get into the US thing takes the cake.
Well, exactly. For any 'normal' person, that whole massive 'other-country' detour would be a little hard to justify and explain away. But for a lawyer...? Sheesh!

Quote:
But what about the customs person who let him through because he "didn't look sick". How's that for national security?
You know, sometimes I *really* wonder whether the media cares that by plastering this story all over the headlines they're just giving new ideas to all those terrorist wannabees out there all over the globe.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-09, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
There's always Wikipedia.
Oh, thanks.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-09, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

I think he knew what he was doing; not necessarily the gravity of it, but that he was doing something he shouldn't be. The whole drive through Canada to get into the US thing takes the cake. But what about the customs person who let him through because he "didn't look sick". How's that for national security?
Woah. That makes this entire thing all the more obscene. I've just been following the headlines; I haven't look into the heart of this... but did his wifey know? If she knew, you'd think she would have had some concept of the gravity of the whole thing.

That said, he didn't know it was *as* bad as it was until he was out of the country. Regardless, he knew that it was a resistant strain.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-10, 14:31

I've added some links to my original post in this thread...

...after receiving negative rep points from someone for not having a link.

You know, I think a courteous, friendly way to address this might have been simply to *ask* for a link, rather than to give negative rep points.

In my original post, I just assumed that since the story had been all over the news for two weeks, a link wouldn't be necessary.

Obviously I was wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-06-10, 14:42

Quote:
I've added some links to my original post in this thread...

...after receiving negative rep points from someone for not having a link.

You know, I think a courteous, friendly way to address this might have been simply to *ask* for a link, rather than to give negative rep points.

In my original post, I just assumed that since the story had been all over the news for two weeks, a link wouldn't be necessary.

Obviously I was wrong.
No that is sad. Please tell us who it was so we can return the favor?

At least I asked for a link.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-10, 17:24

*cough*

*sniffle sniffle*

*coughcoughcoughcoughsneeeeezecough*

*blows nose*
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-06-10, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
*cough*

*sniffle sniffle*

*coughcoughcoughcoughsneeeeezecough*

*blows nose*
Do I detect a note of sarcasm?

Anymore of that, WR, and I'm gonna have to sic your dog on you.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-06-10, 18:27

This is the first time I heard about this though.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-06-10, 18:32

Strange. One of my friends is named "Andrew Spieker", which is pronounced exactly like "Speaker" in Dutch.
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2007-06-10, 19:45

If he's telling the truth that his doctors originally told him he wasn't easily contagious and that they only advised him not to fly, rather than outright forbidding it, I can understand why he flew. I can also understand freaking out being in a foreign country, finding out you have a potentially lethal disease and becoming hell-bent on getting home, no matter what.

Does that make it right? No way. And I can't imagine the guilt if someone did end up getting sick from him and his stupid move. But again, it's understandable, at least to me.

As for the media giving ideas to terrorists, let's give the terrorists a little credit and assume that they probably already thought of that type of stunt already. You'd only have to visit the U.S./Canada to realize how poorly guarded that border is. I think Americans were the only ones caught off-guard by how easy it is to slip through, even when people know to stop you.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-12, 19:46

Well, the lawsuits against Andrew Speaker, the TB guy, have started!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/scienceands...w-the-law.html

Quote:
And Now, the Lawsuits

July 12, 2007 6:14 PM

You knew this would happen. Andrew Speaker, the TB patient who flew to Europe and back after being told he was ill, is being sued in Canadian court for $1.3 million by eight passengers who were on the same flight with him from Prague to Montreal in May.

There's been plenty of discussion, including HERE on this blog (thanks to all who wrote), about whether Speaker was reckless in traveling with the disease. His argument, as you'll recall, is that he wasn't told he was a threat to others.

From today's hearing, AP quotes Nassim Tabri, a graduate student from Montreal, who sat one row ahead of Speaker: "At the very first moment that I found out, I was obviously very stressed, very shocked," said Tabri, who slept through most of the flight. "I'm still very stressed out about it. He deliberately got on this plane, endangered our lives and this is very selfish and reckless behavior that deserves to be punished."

The plaintiffs' lawyer, Anlat Nguyen: "They do not have tuberculosis, but nobody can say that they won't have tuberculosis either," he said. "And that will not be known, not now, not next year, but for many years in the future, so the pain and suffering that the people have gone through are real. They continue to suffer now because of the uncertainty."

On the other hand, there's this comment from Health Canada: "At this point there is no evidence that any one on the flight contracted TB from Andrew Speaker." And there is an additional plaintiff in the case who wasn't on the plane--the brother of a passenger. "We will admit we are testing the water with that case," said attorney Nguyen.

You'll recall that National Jewish Medical Center in Denver, where Speaker is being treated, has downgraded his case. There are drugs that should work against the strain of TB with which he's been diagnosed.

So who's more right? The passengers, for the risk and doubt they've faced? Or Speaker, who insists he never knew he was putting anyone at risk? Thoughts welcome, as always.
The way I remember it, the CDC urged him not to fly. (He denies this, btw, saying he wasn't told he was contagious.) But when they contacted him in Rome, and *told* him not to fly, he did what he wanted and flew anyway, so he could get back to the states for treatment.

In my opinion, it's at *that* point - when he made the clear decision to go on a long-haul flight after he had *specifically* been told 'not' to - that he put his own welfare above that of anyone else, and is thereby liable for endangering the health and welfare of the other passengers.

I hope they put this guy through the wringer, and that he spends the next two years sweating bullets and not sleeping well at night.

I think it's the infuriatingly smug, smart-alecky, condescending expression on his face that makes him come across as so self-righteous and arrogant.

He's completely using the strategy of blaming everyone else, casting himself as the innocent lamb victim, and has even been demanding apologies.

God, I'd like to watch someone slap him in the face for a good 20 or 30 minutes, to take that insufferable smugness down a notch.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-07-12, 22:21

I think there may be a special room in hell for this guy and the judge who sued the Korean dry cleaners. Least, I hope there is.

Such inconsiderate asses, the both of them.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-12, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
Such inconsiderate asses, the both of them.
OMG! Someone should match them up for a blind date!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-13, 12:59

Apparently, one of the suing passengers has indeed tested positive for TB.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-13, 13:37

My Dad had TB about 5 years ago. He's fine, as are the rest of the family. We all got shipped off to the hospital for tests though.