User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Blog App?
bacurtis

2004-12-29, 10:34

Hi,

What are the chances of Apple jumping on the blog band wagon? They have .mac to publish them and the app would be added to iLife?

Best wishes

Michael Curtis
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 11:06

I wondered that very thing a while back (a year, maybe...or perhaps just this past summer, either here or AppleInsider), and was pretty much told to "shut up", and that it was a lame idea.

But I agree with you 100%...that's the "hot" thing right now, and with .Mac already in place as a publishing site/solution, I would imagine Apple wanting to provide that and tap into that whole thing. I know there are other solutions out there (iBlog being the one I toyed with), but Apple - in true, typical fashion - would probably make it super easy, have it tie in with iPhoto for easy image placement and tie in with their other iApps (iCal and stuff) for a really slick, easy-to-use package that anyone could get up and running with in a matter of minutes.

People have opinions, viewpoints, gripes, humorous observations, etc. Giving them an easy way to express them just seems like a no-brainer for Apple. I hope they do this, and that maybe that's one of the software products to be unveiled in two weeks? I'd dig it.

I might've just been ahead of my time when I brought this up before. One of the pitfalls of being so far ahead of the curve, I guess...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-12-29, 11:21

How would they deal with anti-Apple blogs????
Or publishing leaked info....

Just a thought.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-12-29, 11:27

Well all .mac users can get a free copy of iBlog which publishes directly to your .mac
pages via your iDisc, or anywhere else for that matter.
It works with iLife and if you ever have a problem lifli is very responsive.
I'd pay for it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 11:34

Yep, that's there.

But it wouldn't be the first time Apple took off and did their own version of something, even when a functional, popular product already existed in that category (Preview, Dashboard, iTunes*, iPhoto and about 20 others).

iBlog is certainly neat, and really well done. But it still wouldn't surprise me if Apple did their own at some point.

* I barely even remember life before iTunes...I think I used GrayAmp, or something like that, back in my OS 9 days...even Apple's CD Player thing, as well. And I think I used Audion once, for about two weeks
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-12-29, 11:35

Yeah, I think Apple is probably happy with iBlog for now, though some day I could see them offering their own blogging solution with .Mac membership. Depends on whether this fad has legs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 11:41

Well, people aren't going to stop talking, offering opinions, debating, ripping, commenting on the world, etc. The Internet has made all that so easy now, and the cat has totally left the bag.

I get the feeling it's more than a "fad", and that it's definitely got some legs.

It only got blabbered about this past year by the press, due to the election. So to anyone not paying attention, or getting their entire dose of the world via Newsweek and cable news, it's a "new fad". But it's been going on for a good while now, and not just in culture/politics.

Folks are always gonna want their say. It's just super easy now to get it out there and heard/read by others. That isn't going away. It can't.
shatteringglass

2004-12-29, 13:59

I'm actually surprised that Apple hasn't released their own blogging software yet. It just seems to make sense, since it would be so easy to do and they already have the service in place, .Mac. I hope that if they do introduce a blogging app, it would have an import feature, for people like me who have been using another service like Blogger for years.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 15:06

RapidWeaver is a good solution too.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-12-29, 16:30

The Tiger Server has a new Blog server component, so we'll have to wait till Tiger's out to see if Apple introduces a Blogging app.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-29, 16:36

Perhaps that's a new, yet-to-be-announced Tiger feature? Some sort of cool blogging component tied in with the system and .Mac somehow...or even just a separate Tiger-only app they've yet to unveil to us? Maybe it gets talked about on the 11th?

TigBlog!
JayReding

2004-12-29, 17:06

I don't see that as being something that Apple would add to iLife - although they very easily good. IIRC, AppleScript has some decent XML-RPC bindings that makes interfacing with various blog systems pretty easy on the backend side. (I'm the author of the BloGTK blogging client, BTW, so I've done my share of programming in this area.)

Personally, I use ecto for blogging on my iBook, which works extremely well.

(Of course, that doesn't mean that someone could do a nice Dashboard applet to interface with blogs... hint, hint... )
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-12-29, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Perhaps that's a new, yet-to-be-announced Tiger feature? Some sort of cool blogging component tied in with the system and .Mac somehow...or even just a separate Tiger-only app they've yet to unveil to us? Maybe it gets talked about on the 11th?

TigBlog!
Paul, look what I was able to put together in minutes with a $30 app called RapidWeaver. I doubt anything that Apple will debut will trounce RapidWeaver.

http://homepage.mac.com/rcpm/Roger%20Clyne/

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-12-29, 19:47

Um. That doesn't even seem to have RSS feeds?
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-12-29, 21:43

Well, I downloaded iBlog and decided to test it out.

The results.

Not sure if I would ever really use it or more importantly if anyone would ever read it.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
bacurtis

2004-12-30, 05:02

I looked on my idisk and I can't see iBlog? Do they still bundle it? Would still like to see Apple do it.
Henriok

Send a message via AIM to Henriok  
2004-12-30, 17:55

Apple is building Blojsom into Tiger Server. Don't know if they do the same with Tiger Client or if they plan to do some companion software too, but it seems likely.
Pressrelease
shatteringglass

2004-12-30, 22:58

I always thought Apple would call their blogging app "Weblog," following in the vein of semi-generic app names, such "Mail," "Backup," and "HomePage."

And it seems like they just might. Notice the following quote taken from Apple's Tiger Server Sneak Peak page, in which most instances of the word "weblog" are capitalized as proper nouns:

Quote:
A new Weblog server in Tiger Server makes it easy to publish, distribute and syndicate web-based content. The Weblog server provides users with calendar-based navigation and customizable themes, is fully compatible with Safari RSS and enables posting entries using built-in web-based functionality or with weblog clients that support XML-RPC or the ATOM API. The Weblog Server, based on the popular open source project “Blojsom,” works with Open Directory for user accounts and authentication.
Maybe I am overanalyzing it.