User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Camera Advice: Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Camera Advice: Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3?
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-12-01, 12:33

I need a new camera and I've narrowed it done to these two. I can't decide which to get. They're both about the same price, both have a wide-angle lens, both have have full manual controls without being the size of a full DSLR.

I think the only pronounced difference between the two is the LX3 can shoot HD video (not sure if I care about this) and the S90 has the kickass control ring.

Anyone own or have experience with either of these?

I hate buying cameras.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-12-01, 21:11

I've played around with the LX3 and was impressed with it. I almost went for it rather than my actual choice (Sigma DP1), and I still sometimes wonder if the LX3 would have been the more practical choice. I don't know much about the S90, so I will let others comment.

Mostly, I am intrigued by your "hate buying cameras" comment. I love buying cameras. I often look at cameras recreationally that I know that I won't be able to buy. I love old cameras. I love camera shops. Mmmm....cameras. I have sometimes considered starting to collect them....

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 17:34

Yeah, are you feeling okay, InactionMan?

I think it comes down to this: the LX3 has a better lens and the S90 has a better sensor. In my opinion there's a bigger difference between the lenses than the sensors, so I'd probably choose the LX3. On the other hand, the Canon has that spiffy control wheel. If your heart is set on the S90's sensor (PDF with tech details here), and I can see why it might be, then you may like to know that the Canon PowerShot G11 and the Ricoh GR III use the same sensor but mate it with a better lens.

Here's a thread on exactly this topic that might help you decide (though just as likely it might not!).
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-12-02, 20:08

Here, also, is a pretty thorough review of the Canon S90 in Luminous Landscape:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...eras/s90.shtml. The review includes points of comparison with the LX3. The reviewer quite likes both cameras, and they come across as being pretty similar in final overall picture quality. Their controls operate a bit differently, so you might want to go to a camera shop and try both out to see which works best for you.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-12-03, 09:34

That thread didn't help at all!

Everything I've read comparing the two essentially says "They're both awesome cameras. Pick one!"

Bah! I'm leaning towards the LX3 because of the wider lens. I also don't really care about it's lack of zoom as I rarely zoom in anyway. I've had such awful luck buying cameras that if I do it's pretty much a lock that Panasonic will announce the LX4 a few weeks later.