User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 29 of 49 First Previous 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-08, 20:10

Just restarted. Was seeing some weird shit in the logs.

¡Damned!

2011-02-08, 20:22

Hmm. Still saying "Connection refused." mc.net has bin a little buggy, maybe it's them.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-02-08, 20:33

a little buggy? understatement of the evening...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-08, 20:36

mc.net authentication is always buggy. I'd love to have the opportunity to rewrite their authentication layer. I'm sure hundreds of other dev nerds could solve the problem better than it has been "solved" thus far, too.

notch has revealed some pretty damning evidence about their architecture that explains why it can't keep up. It's powered by a single master database, for one, and it uses your login string as the primary key all over the place, for another.

*sigh*

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

¡Damned!

2011-02-08, 20:39

Yeah. It's a pain in the ass.

Can anyone log in yet tonight? I just got back in town so didn't try it at all today.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-08, 20:39

Bobsky and I have been on for a while. I just disconnected, though.

¡Damned!

2011-02-08, 20:42

Huh. I get to the title screen and it just keep refusing my connection to the server.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-08, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Bobsky and I have been on for a while. I just disconnected, though.
wait, what?

I'm not on...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-08, 20:52

Weird. When I did a /list after I connected, I'd swear it said you were on.

Gotta put down the crack pipe, I guess.

¡Damned!

2011-02-08, 21:19

Let me know if you're able to log in alright. I tried my laptop and still no-go. Strange....

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-08, 21:20

hmmm, i still cant connect. It immediatly says connection refused

¡Damned!

2011-02-08, 21:21

Phew. I was thinking it was just me there for a bit.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-08, 21:32

"Player already in server" makes me giggle, but then i realize that its not true and im still trying to get in

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-08, 21:35

Crisis averted! 709 was finally able to connect!

Atariboy

2011-02-11, 15:27

It's okay! I'm a fire marshal!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-11, 16:11

Oh dear. What did I miss?! Did someone just start the Great Fire 2.0?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-02-11, 16:20

Yikes..... I was on this morning but I don't recall setting fire to anything. Just hoovering up Mob Drops at the trap.

Speaking of which: for some reason the "old" trap seems to give a better yield than the monster ginaggerous trap. What's going on there?

arteggio

2011-02-11, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Speaking of which: for some reason the "old" trap seems to give a better yield than the monster ginaggerous trap. What's going on there?

I'm not entirely certain, especially since I don't know any of the mob formulas or frequencies or theories or whatever, but I feel like there must be an optimal location for the player to be located to give full-power to the giant mob trap.

I say this because one time, standing down at the collection bay, it seemed like very few mobs were falling. I decided to go to ground level to stand near the mouth and it seemed like mobs dropped a bit faster. (Or, 30 times per sixty seconds, precisely — I actually stood there and timed it. But just once. And I never got around to timing drops while standing at the collection area.)

Just my theory. I have no idea where the optimal area would be, if this is true.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-11, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
I'm not entirely certain, especially since I don't know any of the mob formulas or frequencies or theories or whatever, but I feel like there must be an optimal location for the player to be located to give full-power to the giant mob trap.
I think bobsky did the maths on this one. Once the new trap is fully covered, is should be much more efficient. Last I checked, it was only about 1/4 plunged into darkness whereas the old trap was completely covered, at least completely covered near the trap center.

As for the optimal location to stand, mobs will not spawn horizontally within 24 blocks of you and will spawn up to ~72 blocks (varying by your location within a chunk) away from you, based on the code people have analyzed from previous versions of the game. It's assumed that beta 1.1 and 1.2 didn't change significantly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

arteggio

2011-02-11, 18:34

I considered the fact that it was only a quartered covered, so I did my test at night.

Is the vertical no-spawn zone negligible (or just non-existant)?

So assuming what people have deduced so far, standing anywhere around the center of the trap should be best...

Perhaps it will work more efficiently during the day when fully covered, to cancel out mobs appearing anywhere else in the map at night.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-11, 19:29

Actually, I am a bit concerned by this as well...

Surely MOST of it is due to the fact that the trap is only partially covered. It must be stated that the old trap is actually almost the same size as the new one once it is fully covered -- only about 1/3 smaller. In addition, the caves beneath the new trap have not been entirely cleared, whereas they have been cleared beneath the old trap. I lucked out in choosing a location for the first trap without many caves beneath.

However, it does strike me that being too deep in the hole does result in fewer spawn falling. This may be do to the despawning algorithm working -- but it is unclear if this is the case. I have the smooth stones to completely cover the remainder of the trap (entire ranch, actually) and will begin that process tonight. Firstly getting enough coal/charcoal to light the damn thing...

But if it turns out that the despawning algorithm is at play, it may be easy enough to relocate the grinder to a higher point.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-11, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
But if it turns out that the despawning algorithm is at play, it may be easy enough to relocate the grinder to a higher point.
Especially now that it uses water + lava blade.

Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to mention since I first saw that addition last week — have you noticed that some fraction of mobs no longer die on impact with the water? It's not a problem with the lava blade there, but I was wondering if that was a known/considered issue when building it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-11, 20:08

Notch was with Machinima most of the day doing live streams and playing while answering questions.

CONFIRMED:
Stained glass
Horses
Gates (for fences)
Floodgates
Diving suits
Alternate types of clothing instead of just armor
Furniture
Redstone light sensors
Backpacks
Fireworks (including random error factor of shooting off in random direction)

POSSIBLE:
Mirrors
Skinnable Statues (yay!)
Colored light...possibly applied through stained glass, possibly not

As always, it remains to be seen as to when these things will happen, but Notch confirmed that gates and diving suits are coming sooner than anything else on that list, with horses as soon as they can be coded properly.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-11, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Especially now that it uses water + lava blade.

Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to mention since I first saw that addition last week — have you noticed that some fraction of mobs no longer die on impact with the water? It's not a problem with the lava blade there, but I was wondering if that was a known/considered issue when building it.
I did notice that... It's actually kind of odd that it isn't consistent -- there must be some sort of dice roll going on for injuries from falls for the mobs. As for why it was built where it was built -- my major concern was getting it higher in the hole so that I might be able to put two alternative mob traps. That plan didn't work out because there 1) wasn't enough room for two and 2) my water scheme for choosing between the traps wouldn't work on glass, and that made me angry. btw, water doesn't behave the same on glass as on other materials. I had actually assumed the mobs would all survive the fall and was happily surprised when they didn't.

With flood gates coming (supposedly) we might be able to take the outflow from the trap and shuttle it into different mob traps for shits and giggles...

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-02-11, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Notch was with Machinima most of the day doing live streams and playing while answering questions.
Notch also "confirmed" an equally huge pile of things (most of which funnily don't intersect with your list) when he spoke on the Coe's Quest live stream a couple weeks ago, but I doubt many of them will see the light of day for months to come.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-02-11, 21:19

Well, this is true of most things Notch says. You going to be on tonight, Brad?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-11, 21:43

One more thought on possible decreased relative yield from new mob trap versus old: size of islands is smaller in new trap necessarily decreasing size of spawned groups of mobs... i am not sure how much it matters but it could be significant if the groups in the old trap are almost always 2x the size in the new trap...

I had thought that islands 6 wide would be ok; it also made water channel design easier...

But before we start considering possible problems, we need to do the tests that conclude that there is an issue...

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-12, 03:22

So Rowdy and I did a test run tonight of the fully enclosed mob trap.

2304 (or so) items per hour.

Mind you, while both of the turtles were on at the time, and this is a decent clip in probably everyone's book, we found the trap to be slightly faster with me running around up top and Rowdy waiting patiently by the outflow. It seems that while spiders do not sit in the rivers blocking the flow, they may actually sit above the rivers on the center islands and slow things down significantly. The only actual blocked flow we observed was when two spiders encountered each other at the center coming at cross angles, an exceedingly rare event that lasted maybe 5 seconds before rectifying.

It is clear, however, that the flow for this trap as compared to the other one is not well paced, at certain points large numbers of mobs fall at others very few.

Clearing out the caves (my next task) might help this a bit as all successful mob spawns will have to occur in the trap as opposed to anywhere else in the surrounding active region.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-02-12, 11:42

oh fudge
i was at the new trap, grabbing some goodies, and apparently a creeper blew up in the collector?
i think i have the leaks plugged, but its in some bad shape

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-02-12, 12:16

wtf?