HVD Storage Technology

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
HVD Storage Technology
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Adamacintosh
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-19, 22:27

Has anyone else heard of HVD? I read a few articles from reliable sources saying that Intel and other companies are working on this new "holographic storage" technology. It does not, as some may think because of the name, have the ability to project R2D2 type holographic images, but rather stores normal data in a 3-dimentional form as tiny spheres. It will be available for hard drives, DVDs, CDs, and memory sticks later in 2006. A disc using HVD will be the size of a normal single layer DVD and will hold up to 1.2 terabytes and have a transfer rate of 1Gbps. These aren't speculations by me, but have been mentioned on many other sites. Google it and see what you come up with.

Anyways, this is one of the reasons I see Apple has for switching to Intel. Imagine this:

iPod Shuffle 500 GB (holds only 300,000 songs)
iPod Nano 1 TB
iPod 5 TB
iPod 10 TB
iMac with 15 TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-19, 22:41

Also, I might as well ask about perpendicular magnetic recording methods for hard drives while i'm on the subject. I read about this in popular science and online too. It it not as advanced as HVD, but it will be almost immune to the cold and heat of the outdoors, and will be a lot more stable than most hard drives today, as well as being able to hold much more data. I predict this will most likely come first in mid 2006 and HVD will be incorporated into Macs next xmas. Just a thought...
ZachPruckowski

2006-02-19, 22:44

Anything like that will start out hideously expensive. And if its limited to DVD-sized disks, it won't be in the iPods. I doubt Apple moved to Intel for this. They switched processors in order to take advantage of chips that ran cooler and faster at lower temperatures. IBM makes great chips, but IBM's investment in R&D is limited to where it makes the most money: servers. IBM didn't want to invest in G5s that'd fit in laptops, because it's such a small market for them. They wanted to make Cell Processors and Power5s and Power6s, which would require massive changes to fit in anything but an XServe or a PowerMac. That's why they're making the game console chips, because that's where the chips they make can do the most good.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-19, 22:53

Here's an article from MacWorld online I found: http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/02...phic/index.php

"InPhase, meanwhile, has said it hopes to bring its first holographic drives to market in 2006. Researchers at IBM Corp.'s Almaden Research Center are also developing holographic storage devices. Optware has set up a consortium called the HVD Alliance to promote its technology, it announced Thursday. The consortium has six members: CMC Magnetics Corp., Fuji Photo Film Co. Ltd., Nippon Paint Co. Ltd., Optware, Pulstec Industrial Co. Ltd., and Toagosei Co., Ltd. Of these, CMC, Fuji, Pulstec and Toagosei are Optware shareholders."

I agree it will probably be very expensive at first, but then again, what isn't? Take a look at how expensive DVD players were when they came out. Also, from what I've read, it may not be all that bad. I mean, it is the usual material CDs are made from, which costs basically nothing to manufacture. The computers will probably be more expensive then.

Also, I didn't say that was the only reason Apple moved to Intel. I know many others, including the ones you mentioned. However, I still believe Apple will move to HVD in the next year or two. I mean, Playstation already is working on releasing 30 GB cards for their PS3 in 6 months... So why not Apple? This would allow Apple to sell high definition videos for download on iTunes that fully download in a couple seconds. Also, imagine all the new programs would be like that would be able to be written for such a monstrous storage drive. I can't wait.

Last edited by Adamacintosh : 2006-02-19 at 22:58.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-19, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
Anything like that will start out hideously expensive. And if its limited to DVD-sized disks, it won't be in the iPods. I doubt Apple moved to Intel for this. They switched processors in order to take advantage of chips that ran cooler and faster at lower temperatures. IBM makes great chips, but IBM's investment in R&D is limited to where it makes the most money: servers. IBM didn't want to invest in G5s that'd fit in laptops, because it's such a small market for them. They wanted to make Cell Processors and Power5s and Power6s, which would require massive changes to fit in anything but an XServe or a PowerMac. That's why they're making the game console chips, because that's where the chips they make can do the most good.
HVDs aren't limited to discs, and don't necessarily come as DVD sized. It's just an example of how it's basically the same sized technology, but it holds more. HVD DVD discs are roughly the same size as DVDs. Other version (ie flash, HDD) would be different sizes, depending on their need.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-19, 23:51

You cannot have a flash HVD... it is completely different technology.

That would be like saying I have a flash CD-rom drive.

The first poster isn't accurate in his description of the technology -- it is simply a two laser version of CD/DVD technology.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-02-20, 00:18

You're right. For some reason I was thinking NAND. Which doesn't make sense since that isn't used with CDs and DVDs. Oh well.
Ghost2

2006-02-20, 08:27

What about using quantum optical memory. At $5 per gigabyte it's realtively cheap.
http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page2.html

Last edited by Ghost2 : 2006-02-20 at 08:57.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-20, 17:02

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow. I don't know what to say.

Wow.
Ghost2

2006-02-20, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamacintosh
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Wow. I don't know what to say.

Wow.
I guess your impressed, but I think the best thing about this technology is it's legit.
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/ces/l...orp-147086.php

Last edited by Ghost2 : 2006-02-20 at 18:48.
ZachPruckowski

2006-02-20, 20:35

Dude. Must have. but it's prolly fake. If they won't let people take it apart even under a NDA, then I sceptical.
Kit Fisto

2006-02-20, 21:51

Byte Magazine mentioned this in an article in 1997.
I think the article was about IBM's global research effort.
It was some Ph.D. researcher who had working samples of holographic, crystalline storage.
Kit Fisto

2006-02-20, 22:01

By the way, in the late 1990s, there was a group from the NSA that visited the University of Maryland campus.
My friends who were in the masters program in nuclear engineering told me about this and I was skeptical until one of them showed me the actual brochure.

The NSA had a way to make inexpensive DIAMOND circuit boards. Apparently Diamond is a perfect conductor of heat. All the heat was wisked out of the laptop computer by passive cooling. This would enable a supercomputer laptop. I suppose this was useful to the NSA for mobile encryption and decryption and mobile processing of large amounts of intercepted data.
They were trying to commercialize the technology.
(and this is scary: it means they must have had something even better so that they didn't need this particular technology).

The way to make Diamond circuit boards was really interesting. Somebody at some university or government research center was testing an ion propulsion drive- a type of propulsion system for outer space. It spits out small amounts of mass from one end and slowly builds up momentum that way and after a while you are going way faster than chemical rockets.

Anyhoo, in this type of ion propulsion system, it turned out that diamond dust was one of the by products of producing the ions. The way they found out it was diamond dust was that the janitor would see the dust on the floor and wipe it up, but it would scratch the floor. The janitor complained that their experiment was scratching the floor and the researchers started investigating what was happening and they realized their ion drive was producing diamond dust.

How the NSA got from the dust to fabricated circuit boards is something that was not explained to me.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 01:08

There is so much crap on the internet...

This thread happens to have stumbled upon a good chunk of it.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-21, 01:10

I noticed when I was looking at the specs that a small reason its computers are so damn fast is that "The SG220-2 super notebook does not employ a Hard Disk and is completely based on solid state AtomChip® optoelectronics [except the mechanical Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi]." This means that it doesn't have to rotate anything at all to search for data, sort of how flash memory works, although I am quite sure that this is a little more advanced.

This is great because it says the computers can work in any temperature from -50 to +120 degrees Celsius. This is a little better than that temperature requirements for computers with hard drives nowadays.

So here's the big question: Why is Apple (or any other computer manufacturer for that matter) not harnessing this technology now and getting the upper hand on other people now? I realize that the chip manufacturer's laptop lines cost $18,500, which is why Apple isn't MAKING computers with them yet, but I think they should definitely start to research ways to mass produce this chip ASAP. I personally can't wait any longer, even though it's been about 3 hours since I heard about this. lol

I read in one of the articles on this that it's transfer speed could fully download 6 full-length DVD quality movies in ONE SECOND. This almost takes the real value of the videos away in my mind, since I always have associated high quality video with large amounts of my hard drive. Maybe this will allow them to release an ultrasuperextrahigh definition plasma TV?
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-21, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky

Soooo...are you going to clarify how you know this information to be untrue or not?
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 02:04

I have been around a while.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-21, 02:15

Yeah, holographic storage is nothing new at all. I distinctly remember reading about it in tech journals in the early 90s.

As for perpendicular bits on a traditional hard drive: Get perpendicular!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-21, 02:19

Quote:
I have been around a while.
Sooo... Seeing as how you have been around a while I'm sure you have lots of sources or reasons to believe it's a hoax. Would you mind listing a couple? I mean, a lot of us here have a lot of reasons to believe that this is true, including several big name tech magazines just flat out saying so, so I'm sure you won't mind me asking you for some reason to believe otherwise. Also, I'm sure you aren't the only one here who's been around a while.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 12:56

http://atomchip.com/_wsn/page9.html

It is a joke... Bulgarian Oscar?

As far as the holographic storage is concerned, that is real, but it isn't anything more than a new optical drive technology.
Kit Fisto

2006-02-21, 14:57

WIPO is a real thing. World Intellectual Property Organization. A real thing.

The Russian award right below that really says "Archimedes" in cyrillic.

Also go to that gizmodo.com link somebody provided above and check out the comments from "ernster."
It sounds legit.

The inventor-- you can see his name on one of those awards- here is his profile:
http://www.zoominfo.com/directory/Ge..._610596359.htm

The phone number and location in that profile are consistent with the information ernster posted on that site.

Last edited by Kit Fisto : 2006-02-21 at 15:06.
Ghost2

2006-02-21, 16:42

Quote:

When I first saw this last year I was skeptical as well, but I have seen the demo that was at ces this year and it was incredible. I also saw atomchip's solar memory in action. There is a link to the video in gizmodo, but I can't find it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
When I first saw this last year I was skeptical as well, but I have seen the demo that was at ces this year and it was incredible. I also saw atomchip's solar memory in action. There is a link to the video in gizmodo, but I can't find it.

I think you mean this WMV video.
Ghost2

2006-02-21, 17:48

Quote:
I think you mean this WMV video.
Yeah that video is kind of shoddy and easily fake-able, but remember this is a small start up company and I still belive that the technology is probably real.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 18:02

It is complete and total bullshit.
Adamacintosh
BANNED

2006-02-21, 18:22

We'll see. We'll see.
billybobsky
BANNED

2006-02-21, 18:30

We already have seen... Last september AtomChips released to the press that they were going to show their laptop at this year's CES -- it has come and gone and there was no laptop. Shimon Gendlin, its CEO made similar claims in 1997 about magnetic memory (which he called at the time Quantum Memory)... and you know what, that doesn't exist either. He is a shyster.

Plain and simple.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-21, 19:03

Can I interest someone in a vacuum-cooled G5 powerbook? It's only $1,999, fully loaded.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-02-21, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Can I interest someone in a vacuum-cooled G5 powerbook? It's only $1,999, fully loaded.
Oh! Oh! Does it come with the 10 terabyte or 25 terabyte drive?
johnny5

2006-02-21, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2
Yeah that video is kind of shoddy and easily fake-able
That video is more than just kind of shoddy- it's awful.
But someone please explain exactly what the video is showing; I don't get it. What does the technology do?

All I saw was:
- a chip on a table,
- a model of the earth with orbiting satellite,
- a sort of manual marquee,
- some mirrored messages,
- a handheld laser......