AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

backing up HD to iPod?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
backing up HD to iPod?
jsk173

2006-04-25, 09:18

As discussed in another thread ...

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=15780

... I had some problems yesterday that inspired me to be more conscientious about backing up my data.

Are there any problems, or potential problems, with backing up data to my iPod? (I travel a lot, so the iPod seems like a good solution while traveling. I'm going to look into a HD for home or something along those lines.)

Last year, there was a thread in which the consensus seemed to be that doing so repeatedly might not be a great idea (due to the strain it could put on the iPod, etc.). Curious what the current thoughts are. Thanks ...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-04-25, 10:14

I don't think there's anything too wrong with using an iPod to back up data, I think people were warning against using an iPod as a boot drive. That would be a bit hard on an iPod in long-tem use. Though I did use mine as a boot drive for a few months when my internal drive started going wonky and my iPod is still kicking going on three years.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-25, 17:47

I've got my three main machines backed up on three of my old iPods - I use SuperDuper! (and it really is).
I don't use the iPods in this state. I pull them out every few weeks or so to update the backup, then they go back in a backpack by my door in case I have to jam out the door in case of The Big One.

Ya' gotta be prepared here in earthquake coountry, after all.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-25, 17:53

Backups don't require a lot of seeking; it's mostly sequential writes (and, during restore, sequential reads), so they're a lot easier on the hard drive. I still wouldn't recommend it and don't understand why it's even considered practical. The 1.8-inch hard drives in iPods are simply extremely expensive for such storage. Small, sure, but not significantly more portable than 2.5-inch drivers, which are more widely available, safer to use and much less expensive.

I second the SuperDuper! recommendation, though.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-04-26, 01:03

But, if you've already got an iPod, it's got enough extra space, and you don't have another external HD, then why not use it as a backup drive?
apple007
BANNED

2006-06-19, 19:55

Let's say I back up my Home folder to my iPod so I can transfer it to a new MacBook. The first time I plug the iPod into the MacBook, will the iPod icon show up on the desktop automatically, or do I need to open iTunes? (I'm afraid if I open an empty iTunes, the iPod's HD might be overwritten via the auto-syncing that occurs between iTunes and iPod.) Thanks.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2006-06-20, 02:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007
Let's say I back up my Home folder to my iPod so I can transfer it to a new MacBook. The first time I plug the iPod into the MacBook, will the iPod icon show up on the desktop automatically, or do I need to open iTunes? (I'm afraid if I open an empty iTunes, the iPod's HD might be overwritten via the auto-syncing that occurs between iTunes and iPod.) Thanks.
Here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Where it says to copy the iTunes folder to iPod, you'll be copying the Home folder instead.

What you won't have to worry about is the iPod's playable music library being overwritten, because you'll have the files stored separately on the iPod, and they won't be affected by a syncing operation with an empty iTunes library.

That is, if the iTunes on the new computer happens to sync iPod with an empty library, you have nothing to worry about. It's like iTunes only manages who's in the driver's seat of the iPod "car", while you've stored all the music in the car's trunk.
apple007
BANNED

2006-06-20, 21:14

Okay, good. Thanks very much.