The New iPod: Its a Classic

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The New iPod: Its a Classic
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-05, 12:31

The New iPod classic, has 160 Gig of Storage, thats 40,000 songs. I don't have that many hairs!

Its made of metal.

the 80 gig is $249, the 160 is $349, and it has the same interface as the new Nanos.

Ships today.

Woo!
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-05, 12:32

Go Zoolander!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-09-05, 12:33

Beat you too it... http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=25736
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 12:33

I'm fully expecting a new full-sized touch screen as well. Otherwise, why the 'Classic' moniker

Methinks they are going to try to appeal to both audiences - those who want a bigger screen, and those who don't.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 12:35

Silver??!! They killed the white iPod!

billysea

2007-09-05, 12:36

With a name "Classic" behind it, that means we will hear a New iPod right after this.
CHEETAH

2007-09-05, 14:40

"requirements: Mac OS X v10.4.8
or later"

haha then i wont buy it cuz i have 10.4.1 on my macbook pro.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-05, 14:51

Or, you could run software update like all the normal people....
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-09-05, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEETAH View Post
"requirements: Mac OS X v10.4.8
or later"

Why would you not have the latest version on there?
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-09-05, 14:54

Guys, guys; I think it was a [rubbish] joke.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-09-05, 14:56

Ah, I see.

For future reference, jokes are supposed to be funny in some way.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-09-05, 15:13

I second that one Bryson
CHEETAH

2007-09-05, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Why would you not have the latest version on there?
does it work on macbook pro!?? software update doesnt fetch it for me. have i missed something!? I thought 4.8 maybe was only for other comps?!

-C
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-05, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEETAH View Post
You definitely do not. The oldest on a MacBook Pro is 10.4.5. Are you sure you don't have 10.4.10?
CHEETAH

2007-09-05, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You definitely do not. The oldest on a MacBook Pro is 10.4.5. Are you sure you don't have 10.4.10?

ooh i missed a zero. it makes a difference i guess. hmm i kindof thought10.4.80 vs 10.4.10 instead of 10.4.08 vs 10.4.10. lol =)
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-05, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Silver??!! They killed the white iPod!

Yes, it appears that Apple is abandoning white in favor of black/silver. Makes me as well. The last remaining white products are the MacBook and the Mac mini, but even the mini is mostly silver...

I wonder what they are going to do with the white MacBook? The consumer-grade portable from Apple has always been styled similarly to the iMac. So, now what?

Unless they make MacBooks silver and MacBook Pros black...

We'll see.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-05, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Unless they make MacBooks silver and MacBook Pros black...
Ding ding ding!

Come on. What's the only thing sexier than silver aluminum? Black aluminum.

What would hide the holes on the Mac Pro and make it look less like a cheese grater? Black aluminum.

What would hide the iSight and IR port on the new Cinema Display and provide some much-needed cosmetic differentiation from the old line (I mean, come on, even Dell is selling silver aluminum displays now!)? Black aluminum.

It's really the only direction I can see Apple going - because they've already went there. The iPod nano and iPod are available in both silver and black aluminum, to match any Mac. (The iPod shuffle, on the low-end of the spectrum, is silver, and the iPod touch, on the high-end, is black.)

The iMac, which can be either consumer or professional, has both colors.

It makes perfect sense to me. Apple might do some weird black carbon fibre thing for the MBP, but the pro desktops and displays will be black aluminum.

I'm willing to bet a dollar on it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
arnoct

2007-09-05, 18:33

It looks like there's some new UI features for the iPod Classic. Does anyone know if the current 5G UI has/will be updated as well? They did it somewhat for the 5.5G (Added games support to the original 5Gs.) I left my iPod in the car so I can't go and check at the moment...

Coverflow would be nice to have in a software update...
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2007-09-05, 19:15

No, I think the new UI is strictly for the new iPods. Same with video on the old nanos.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-09-05, 19:58

Of course they're going to add support for games. They want you to buy the games.

They're not going to add support for Cover Flow, because they want you to buy a new iPod.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-05, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct View Post
It looks like there's some new UI features for the iPod Classic. Does anyone know if the current 5G UI has/will be updated as well? They did it somewhat for the 5.5G (Added games support to the original 5Gs.) I left my iPod in the car so I can't go and check at the moment...

Yeah, no. Only once has a software update brought software features that were part of a new iPod to the existing iPods, and that was only because 5G had been stagnant for so long.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-05, 20:34

I've imagined the black aluminum thing for the pro gear for a while. Or if not black, then a really dark, rich grey/charcoal (much darker than the current silver seen on most everything).

Sure, can't get much more serious and professional/up-market in appearance than good ol' black!

With the new iPods out today - metal, every one of 'em - it's obvious as can be that Apple is getting out of the "making plastic" business. I don't care what the iBook/MacBook has looked like for the past five or so years, it's apparent that it won't remain white plastic for much longer. It'll be aluminum as well on its next go around, I'm 92% sure. It sticks out - especially after today - so much now.

So yeah, maybe a silver aluminum (giving it a more professional, less toy-like appearance), while the pro gear goes to a darker grey or black. And let's be serious: both the pro notebooks and towers are long overdue for a redesign or cosmetic update/tweak. The G5 (which become the Mac Pro) has been around since June 2003...four years! And the MacBook Pro design has been around since January of that same year, with the introduction of the 12" and 17" PowerBook G4.

Those two things, more than anything else in Apple's lineup, are in need of a refresh. And with all the iPods, iPhone and new iMac pointing the way for the consumer and mid-range of the line, that leaves the pro stuff free to move to a darker, heavier look. If nothing else, it would be a nice change and something exciting, just from a visual and marketing point of view. And let's face it: do you know how much a glowing Apple logo would pop off a black/dark grey notebook?

People would see it from yards and yards away. That's just great, free marketing and promotion!

Years ago, I hated the idea of Apple having black computers (just because everything was either so colorful and pretty, or a nice glossy white). But now that both of those motifs seemed to have run their course, and light silver aluminum seems to be the new "glossy white", I've got no problem whatsoever with seeing the pro gear get all dark grey/black and mean-looking...especially now that they've got the processors and specs to back it up!

I'd like to see Apple go ultra-minimalist and black (dark grey) on the towers and pro notebooks: less rounded edges (smaller corner radius), seamless "all from a single sheet" appearance, recessed areas n the top of the tower to carry them by (no protruding handles). Plus, on a black/dark grey notebook, the various ports would blend in and hide better, providing for a very sleek, smooth appearance as well (like the black MacBook, how it helps hide/camouflage the ports on its left side).

The color of the black iPod at the top of the page...that's how I'd like the towers and pro notebooks to look. When light catches it in certain ways, it's a deep grey. But a nice matte finish with just a smidge of texture/drag.
k squared

2007-09-05, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...With the new iPods out today - metal, every one of 'em - it's obvious as can be that Apple is getting out of the "making plastic" business. I don't care what the iBook/MacBook has looked like for the past five or so years, it's apparent that it won't remain white plastic for much longer. It'll be aluminum as well on its next go around, I'm 92% sure. It sticks out - especially after today - so much now....
Wasn't Apple the first to get into plastic cases? It's fitting that they are one of the first to change their whole line up away from plastic. Looks like Greenpeace got to them.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2007-09-05, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Wasn't Apple the first to get into plastic cases? It's fitting that they are one of the first to change their whole line up away from plastic. Looks like Greenpeace got to them.
The times they are a changi...nevermind.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-09-05, 21:07

Oh yeah, thats pretty much how I feel. Apple should push the the pro image as hard as they can. Black is how to do that.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-07, 15:39

Wow, this thread - compared to the nano and touch ones - is getting no love.

Well, to liven it up, here are some nice, large pics of the unboxing of a new metal iPod classic. The image on the box lid is so realistic and shadowed/lifelike in those first two shots, at first glance I thought it was the actual iPod, being shown through a clear, acrylic package (like the nano and shuffle come with).

It certainly has that 3G iPod look to it, with the rounded front face!

Just don't know where Apple pulled that look from all of a sudden; they've been so "flat and sleek" with their stuff the past year or two (even the brand new iMac).

However, just glancing over to my iPhone just now, I see how it too is rounded on the front edge...maybe all these iPod design choices (minus the shuffle, which remained the same) are stemming from the rounded iPhone face? Possible...

EDIT:

Found another nice set of the iPod classic.

And this is the greatest gallery of all: new nano, shuffle and classic (plus some older models) all together...GREAT photos! If you only look at one link today...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-09-07 at 15:52.
¡Damned!

2007-09-07, 16:03

I love the rounded edges..and I told myself that if Apple came out with an iPod with the new 160GB drive (it would barely hold my iTunes collection) I'd get it. So I am. Basically, I'm replacing my 1G 5GB iPod, even though I've had a few others in the mean time (minis and nanos)...only to have them absconded by whomever I was laying vertical with at that time...somtimes within hours.

It's all good. This is the iPod I was looking for, and finally it's here. Also, I'll be getting a nano for the ex. Contrary to almost everyone, I actually love the new nano. I love the shape, I love the rounded edges, and I love the new functionality. The only small beef I have with it is the 'hold' button on the bottom. Whatever. I'll survive.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-07, 16:17

Which classic are you getting...the silver or the black?
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-09-07, 16:43

OT: I love that AI and MacRumors are peppered with Zune ads these days.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-09-07, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct View Post
It's okay. You couldn't use it anyway. I just played with one of the new "Classics" at the Apple store. In one of these iPod threads people were talking about Cover Flow not working on HD-based iPods... well... they were right. Even after taking over a minute sequentially loading in the album art for the ~400 songs in the demo model, scrolling through those now-cached images was simply painful. I stepped aside to a Nano and watched the things fly by.