Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

The "Similar Threads" feature

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The "Similar Threads" feature
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-10-30, 12:29

It's pointless. It never gets any of the "similar threads" right, and it just ends up getting old threads bumped.

I guess I just don't get the point of it being on when it doesn't work at all. Can it be turned off?

Not a pressing issue, just something that's been on my mind. Thanks.

Come waste your time with me
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-11-08, 09:31

I think the problem is the fact that the similar threads are built when the thread is made so only threads that are OLDER than the "base" thread are searched through for similarities in the title and first post.

It would be a more useful feature if this was updated after the thread was a week old, two weeks, a month, two months, etc.... so the "similar threads" were more current.

But I don't know how feasible that would be to implement.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-11-08, 10:19

You can hide it. Click the arrow in the upper right corner of the similar threads box. Hide it and quit bitching, because it works for some people
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-11-08, 10:21

It works great and I use it a bunch. But it can be better, and isn't that what the feedback forum is all about?

on a mostly unrelated note, has anyone from bones' forums (old TS forums) stuck around?

People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-11-08, 11:00

The problem is that the similar threads feature isn't a plug-in. vBulletin doesn't have any sort of plug-in architecture. We'd have to manually go in and start editing the script that does the similar thread matching. Then whenever there is a vB update, it'll wipe out our changes and we'll have to go re-do them, and then figure out if that borks anything, etceteras.

Basically, it's better to just not mess with it and send feedback directly to vBulletin about it.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-10, 12:35

Ahhhh, I didn't even see the thing to turn it off. Thanks.

No quick reply and no similar threads feature make DMBand very happy.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-12-05, 23:39

I like quick reply, its so much quicker. I don't quite understand it tho, other than the quickness are there any differences, that I can't get around using vB script?

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-12-06, 08:22

between a "regular" reply?
well, yes, other then the lack of visible vB controls... not much.

but in a "regular" reply (if you get there by pressing a "quote" button) you also get the post you are replying to actually typed out in the reply box rather then (optionally) added later like in quick reply...

The only other difference that I can see is the text color when you are typing the post... (grey vs black)

oh, and you can only disable smilies, un-link URLs, edit posts, and change your notification regarding your subscription to the thread (the default is set in your user preferences) from the "regular" reply page... (assuming the edit page is the same as the reply page)

you can also edit the title of the post, but that feature isn't used by AN...

Last edited by Paul : 2004-12-06 at 08:31. Reason: checkout the regular reply page/edit post page