Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-09, 23:13

Umm

Uh

Hot DAMN!

More on this later. Too tired to type.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-02-10, 10:07

I hope it's more Mandalorian and less Boba Fett. If it's just Obi-Wan being all morose and pensive, and staring out at the desert all day while contemplating his failures, I'm gonna be disappointed.

That it has McGregor in it - the best part of the prequels - is encouraging.

It's only six episodes, so two less than The Mandalorian and one less than The Book of Boba Fett. That might help keep them focused.

Things I expect, just based on the location/timeline:

- A glimpse of ~10-year-old Luke, if only from a distance (I don't think the kid version has a central, speaking role)
- Force ghost Qui-Gon (how could they not?!)...Liam Neeson will sign on for anything, apparently
- Force communication with Yoda; he and Obi-Wan are in the same boat (exile/hiding)...they'd want to stay in touch
- Mos Eisley...travel/space jockey hub, and that's where he'd hear news about what's going on in the galaxy
- I think he'll hit that cantina a few times; he seemed familiar with it in A New Hope
- There's a reason he said what he did about Mos Eisley; he hung out there enough to know
- He'll have trusted friends/allies who keep him in the loop (they may or may not know his true identity)
- I think he'll cultivate a bit of a "crazy hermit" persona at times to keep people at bay and from looking too hard
- Can't figure out why Hayden Christensen is in it, UNLESS we're getting flashbacks of pre-Vader Obi-Wan and Anakin; anyone can play the suited Vader, so I don't see the point in hiring wooden Christensen, only to keep him hidden in that costume...there's nothing particularly imposing or "Vader-y" about Christensen...it always took two men - a 6'6" bodybuilder and James Earl Jones - to bring the character to life; Christensen has neither the build or voice to believably inhabit that particular role, IMO). Maybe he'll play unhelmeted Vader in his meditation chamber or something, with the necessary makeup and all? Maybe that's what they're using him for?
- Because of Tatooine/Mos Eisley, a few cameos wouldn't surprise me (de-aged/deepfake Han Solo and/or Chewie, younger (slimmer) Boba in his light-grey jumpsuit, Cad Bane(?), Darth Maul, almost certainly Jabba, etc.?). And possibly Jimmy Smits in some capacity? He was among the last to see Obi-Wan and Yoda before they went into hiding. He would know where both are and have reason to stay in touch (if it's not too risky). He was always good as Bail Organa in the prequels. He's not listed among the cast, but that doesn't mean he can't pop up for a one-time cameo, even via hologram or something.

Going by the cast listing, we're getting Owen and Beru (Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse, Australian actors who played the roles in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in 2002 and 2005), so some more nice carry-through from the prequels, alongside McGregor.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-02-10 at 10:54.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-09, 14:57

New Teaser Trailer is out.
Quote:
Here’s the official synopsis, in case you missed it: “The story begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where Obi-Wan Kenobi faced his greatest defeat—the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker, who turned to the dark side as evil Sith Lord Darth Vader.”
Yep, I'm looking forward to seeing this series.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-09, 15:03

Thank you for posting this. I haven't been this excited for something Star Wars since 1999!

And even more characters and ships from Rebels. The trailer looks fantastic, and Ewan McGregor looks like … well … Obi-Wan Fn' Kenobi! I'm so glad he returned for this. I don't think there's another series actor in the entirety of the franchise, excepting Mark Hamill, who understands their character better!

My itch tells me this is going to be spot-on.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-03-09, 15:20

I'm just glad they got to this before McGregor either aged out of it or didn't want to do it. The fact that he's in it makes it so much better.

Really looking forward to ti. Boba Fest was ok, but nowhere near as good as Mandalorian. Hopefully this eclipses them both.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-09, 20:58

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. May 24th is the released date IIRC. It really does look to be spot on for sure. Jedi hunting is clearly the theme of the show, while keeping Luke alive.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-03-09, 22:52

Despite how much I dislike large swaths of the prequels, that music is just too damn good and has me irrationally excited for this show.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2022-03-10, 02:15

Same Brad. That music is superb.

May 25 is the date I believe, Tony. Honouring the original SW release date.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 03:53

Yep. May is very SW-friendly. All of the first six movies (PT and OT) were released in late May, with the 1977 original and Return of the Jedi both happening on the 25.

Many comics, novels and video games were released/unveiled in May as well.

It’s also the month of several notable SW-related births, George Lucas being the biggest. But also Peter Mayhew, Frank Oz, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee (neat, also because of their Hammer connection), as well as Sebastian Shaw (unhelmeted Vader at the end of ROTJ).

Oh, and May the Fourth.

Anything SW-related taking place in the month of May is in very good company and on solid footing. And if it can be the 25th, even better.

This Obi-Wan show appears to have everything going for it…creators, lead actor, release date.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-10, 08:47

It is the 25th Mac+, thank you for clarifying. I know why I have the date wrong, the 24th is a birthday for someone in my life so it jumped in as the "important" date in my mind. How dare my mind put that birthday ahead of Star Wars!

The music is is Brad! I didn't realize it until I read your post but that really does draw me in. I should mute the trailer and then watch it and see what I think about it then!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-03-10, 08:52

John Williams did an amazing job for his part in the earlier titles, sometimes I think half of Star Wars success is due to his compositions.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-10, 08:53

So I'm doing it, no music and pretending I don't know the characters:

OK, the first thirty seconds look like a dude who's stalking his next child-trafficking target.
Angry people wear black. Surfs wear tan.
Stalker got stuck on a train to prison maybe?
Someone brought a sword to a gunfight.
Lots of flashing from on angry person to a different angry person.

Confirmed, the music made the trailer. I'm sure the voiceovers and narration helped too, but if you watch it without audio it is something completely different.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 08:57

BTW, that scene in the teaser of Obi-Wan watching Luke playing from afar...exactly as I'd imagined. Not sure if the kid will have any speaking role or play a major part in anything (it looks like Owen and Beru may), but I knew there would be at least once scene in the show where Obi-Wan watches what is obviously a 9-10 year old Luke Skywalker running around the farmstead, playing (I figured he might be playing with a spaceship toy/model or something, to a) drive home that it's Luke and b) that he's had those pilot/adventure dreams long before we met him in 1977.

This show only has six episodes, so I'm hoping there's little-to-no-filler or any "throwaway" episodes where nothing really happens...they can't afford that with so few installments, so, in theory, it should be pretty lean and every episode "counts".

Looks like a lot of off-planet stuff too, which I wasn't expecting.

The one thing I wish they'd do (since I assume they're all in the can/ready-to-go) is just release all six episodes at once, like Stranger Things does/did, where you can set aside a rainy Saturday with some snacks and just watch the entire damn thing in a single sitting (if you wanted). I don't like how they spoon them out like a normal network/cable TV show, once a week. But that seems to be their established pattern with the other SW shows, so I imagine this will be six weeks of waking up super early, again.

While I still think Liam Neeson makes a Force ghost cameo, I've rethought my "Obi-Wan and Yoda stay in touch via the Force" prediction from upthread. That might be like using a cell phone, where the Empire (Vader or other Force users) can "ping" locations. Obi-Wan and Yoda (and any other Jedi out there) may have to suppress that sort of thing in order to stay off the radar, literally, and stay hidden away as much as possible. Obi-Wan will have to "de-Jedi" himself as much as possible so no locals drop a dime and alert the Empire to "hey, there's some dude here in town with one of those blue laser swords, making shit float and stuff...you might wanna check it out, I hear you're looking for these guys".
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-10, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Confirmed, the music made the trailer. I'm sure the voiceovers and narration helped too, but if you watch it without audio it is something completely different.
Could said of every show trailer ever made.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 09:48

Years ago we got that "trailer" for The Shining reworked as an uplifting, feel-good Nora Ephron rom-com, and I thought it was awesome. It's amazing how the music, voiceover, editing and all can totally affect the tone or how something comes across. That was the first time it ever really hit me upside the head like that.

"Ohmigosh, I've seen this exact type of trailer about 570 times in my life, especially throughout the 90's...nailed it!"

It spawned a bunch of copycats, but none were as good as Shining.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-10, 10:16

So true, but then you watch Obi-wan stalking the kid in the desert it is REALLY odd looking... when completely out of context.

What can I say, I was bored this morning.

I'm gonna have to watch the Shining link now...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 11:54

As much as I love the character of Obi-Wan, and especially Ewan McGregor's portrayal, this "going back and filling in the gaps" still isn't my favorite approach. I may be swayed and it may be really good and I get to be pleasantly surprised.

But I know for a fact that the reason I enjoyed The Mandalorian as much as I have is the newness/unknown. I know it's set in a period before the sequels, but a) I don't acknowledge them anyway so there's no bearing on anything , and b) with a few exceptions (Luke, Boba Fett) it's all new characters/playground.

I actually don't want The Mandalorian to get weighed down with Skywalker/Jedi/Sith stuff, so I'm hoping, as good as that episode was a few weeks ago, we just don't really see much more of CG/deep-fake Luke, going forward.

The Obi-Wan thing presents a special case...familiar characters/locations, but, like the prequels, we've yet to see how it all happened and played out. That's a good, and a not-so good thing. The curious part of me wants to know how far did Obi-Wan take the "crazy desert hermit" act to lay low, but, as the prequels taught me, "be careful what you wish for". Having everything shown/explained didn't always work well in those movies, so that's probably a huge part of the reason I don't look forward to "going backwards" with familiar characters.

At least with The Mandalorian, those characters/adventures are reasonably new and they really have no real narrative gaps to fill or things they feel they need to work on. The sequel timeline is so far out, 9 ABY, that even the show itself, barring any sort of significant time-jump with the upcoming season, shouldn't have to wade into any sort of First Order/Snoke/Kylo waters. Man, I sure hope not.

The Mandalorian has taught me that I love Star Wars stuff - vehicles, tech, locations, tropes - paired with new characters/adventures. I'm hoping the Obi-Wan show finds a way to do the "filling in the blanks with known characters" a lot better than the prequels. They've had plenty of time to learn from those missteps, so I'm confident they'll do a good job.

I'd like to think that McGregor wouldn't have signed on if he got the sense that "ugh, this is really going to be a bit lame...". I don't know if he saw an outline, or actual scripts, before coming on board, or if he just went on faith and said "I'm in, whatever...".

It looks like a large part of the show will be the Empire going after any scattered Jedi, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out and gets handled. I know a little about those Inquisitor(?) types, so I guess those are shaping up to the be the main, constant villain (vs. full-on Vader-in-every-episode)?

It looks great.

I do think it's funny how Star Wars can/will never fully depart from Tatooine, no matter what they do or how hard they try. That planet is just going to loom large in everything. The TV shows are wearing it out, for sure. But I like deserts, so I'm totally okay with it. I'd rather have stuff set there than, say, Hoth or Naboo. Tatooine just screams "Star Wars", and puts me back to that eight-year-old in 1977, which is a feeling I like, especially the older I get. It's a genuine comfort and "I know this place..." to me.

So, yeah...I'm looking forward to May 25th because it'll be nice to see the best part of the prequels doing his thing again. I'm glad he's on board and is getting the attention he deserves (both the character and the actor).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 16:18

First look at Vader from the Obi-Wan Kenobi show...just a still photo, and nothing we haven't see before.

I still don't think it'll be Hayden Christensen in the suit full time, just during any bacta tank or meditation chamber scenes, sans helmet. Or flashbacks, if they go that route.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-10, 16:49

Even better is this bit of kit linked to in the article.

Quote:
Not quite sure what all the commotion was about, a confused McGregor took his position in the frame — a look of puzzlement on his face not seen since the nefarious Count Dooku dropped a Sith Lord truth bomb on the Jedi Master back on Geonosis. "I had the cameras behind me looking down this street, and behind the cameras were 100 people standing there," recalls McGregor. "They're usually in places doing work, not just standing. I couldn't quite work out what was happening."

It wasn't Obi-Wan they were there to see. "And then Vader comes around the corner, into the street, and I was like, 'Ah, f---. Of course!'"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-10, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
First look at Vader from the Obi-Wan Kenobi show...just a still photo, and nothing we haven't see before.

I still don't think it'll be Hayden Christensen in the suit full time, just during any bacta tank or meditation chamber scenes, sans helmet. Or flashbacks, if they go that route.
Would be strange to have him voice Vader, given that he never did the in suit parts before. Maybe they’ll be doing a lot of flash backs?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2022-03-10, 18:39

I'm so excited for this. Didn't wind up caring much about Mandalorian or Book of Boba Fett, but Obi-Wan / the Jedi is exciting for me and I'm so hype.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Would be strange to have him voice Vader, given that he never did the in suit parts before. Maybe they’ll be doing a lot of flash backs?
Surely to goodness a proper voiceover actor is dubbing in the suited Vader stuff. Even if Mr. Jones is retired, I know they’ve had others do the job in video games and animated fare, so there are good Vader voice actors out there, already doing it.

I truly believe Christensen’s actual involvement and appearances will involve a lot of sitting or suspended in a tank, berating/Force-choking hapless, incompetent underlings. When the suit is on and he’s “on the job”, it’ll be a more imposing stand-in/double. He’s nowhere near Prowse’s 6’6” bodybuilder frame, so I think he’ll be used for specific parts only.

I have a feeling we’re in for a bit of unhelmeted Vader with HC in scar/burn makeup/prosthetics, croaking his lines as injured, temporarily helmet/suit-free Vader. That’s really the only reason it makes sense to involve him, IMO. Otherwise they’d do what they’ve always done…get a tall, built guy to wear the suit and dub in a big, distinctive voice.

There’s absolutely nothing Vader-y about Hayden Christensen, build or voice-wise, so that’s why I think his appearances will be those quieter, helmet-free moments.

I know they let him put on the suit in RotS, but that was about 15-20 seconds total screen time, with little-to-no movement or anything around for real scale/impact. He frankensteined off the table and yelled “noooooo!”, and then stood on a Star Destroyer bridge.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2022-03-10 at 19:16.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-10, 19:30

Quote:
Surely to goodness a proper voiceover actor is dubbing in the suited Vader stuff. Even if Mr. Jones is retired, I know they’ve had others do the job in video games and animated fare, so there are good Vader voice actors out there, already doing it.
My understanding is that thus far Mr.Jones has done all the Vader voice overs for official projects thus far, other than Rebels.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 19:35

Probably a good, easy job. Show up to a studio/booth, read some dialogue, be paid handsomely, etc.

I wasn't sure if he'd pulled back, retired, etc. He's 91.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-03-10, 19:38

I think the last thing he did was the lines in Rouge One.
¡Damned!

2022-03-10, 20:33

Quote:
I actually don't want The Mandalorian to get weighed down with Skywalker/Jedi/Sith stuff, so I'm hoping, as good as that episode was a few weeks ago, we just don't really see much more of CG/deep-fake Luke, going forward.
How about a deep-fake Han in Obi-Wan? It would fit with the timeline and he was off to Tatooine at the end of Solo.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-10, 21:01

Yeah, I talked about that way upthread. I can imagine that. And, if no outright Han (is there even enough computer processing power at Lucasfilm to de-age Harrison Ford's crusty old ass? ), then perhaps Chewie and/or the Falcon in some capacity?

Now that they seem to have a handle on that stuff, and it looks way better than it did at the end of the second season finale over a year ago, I can see them doing that a bit, if it makes sense. It can't be a full-on Fake-Fest, every episode, but done well and if it doesn't hurt or detract from anything, sure.

My objections to Luke showing up a lot is just the heaviness of it, all that lore and weight of who he is, what he represents, etc. bogging down a breezy, standalone show like The Mandalorian. Han Solo (or Chewie) doesn't carry that much weight and doesn't represent the whole Jedi/Sith/Force stuff. I can see him, a smuggler/freighter pilot who passes through Mos Eisley from time to time, showing up in a brief, fun cameo and it not being too hard to believe.

In the original Star Wars, Obi-Wan obviously knew about the cantina (and Mos Eisley in general), who frequented the place, its reputation, etc. There's no telling who he's bumped into during those ~20 years between episodes 3 and 4.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-03-10, 23:37

Hayden Christensen wore a custom Vader suit in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith; no "athletic actor" was used. Read it for yourselves. James Earl Jones did the voiceover. Christensen will be Vader — all 6'8" of him — just like he was in Episode III. It's Hollywood. They can make whatever they want.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-03-11, 05:24

I’m aware of all that. I wrote about it a couple of posts up. It was less than 30 seconds of screen time and he pretty much just stood still (minus 1-2 labored, “are these my new legs?” steps). I could’ve done that.

Pedro Pascal is barely in the Mando outfit for many scenes. Peter Mayhew, as he got older, and his health faded, was only in the Chewie suit for small parts of the sequels (seated close-ups, primarily). No way HC takes a gig where he’s in a mask/helmet more often than not, trying to appear 6-8” taller than he actually is. What’s the point?!

But we’ll see.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-03-11, 08:06

Paul your posts are eight miles long. You can't expect normal Star Wars fans to read your entire manifesto