Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The new iPad!
Page 9 of 18 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
No multitasking kills it for me. I can (sort of) understand not having it on the iPhone, but on a device with a 9.7" display? I don't get it.
Wait a second...I didn't even think about that. Are you sure? That would be unbelievable.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-01-27, 15:08

Quote:
No multitasking kills it for me. I can (sort of) understand not having it on the iPhone, but on a device with a 9.7" display? I don't get it.
Yeah, that seemed a little illogical too. Even if you're just surfing and stuff, having twitter and chat at the same time would be nice. I mean, I don't recall seeing anything about multitasking- did I miss it?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:09

Oh, brother. Are we going to have to jailbreak this thing?

Wrao
Yarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Since it's running the iPhone OS it wouldn't recognize a thumb drive I don't think.
Write the app! Goldmine!

zsummers
Avast!

Is this the first time the word "price" has appeared on the Apple home page?

Our baby is all grown up: meet a (somewhat) compromised product at a pretty darn good price.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

zsummers
Avast!

2010-01-27, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Yeah, that seemed a little illogical too. Even if you're just surfing and stuff, having twitter and chat at the same time would be nice. I mean, I don't recall seeing anything about multitasking- did I miss it?
Maybe pscates' dream will at least be a little true? By which I mean, when the iPhone gets multitasking (hopefully before March), so too will the iPad?

Ugh, without it, the dream dies.

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."

¡Damned!

2010-01-27, 15:13

So in a nutshell, it's an oversized iPod touch that'll run stripped down versions of iWork and has a physical keyboard option. Oh, and cellular data service for a little extra coin.

I think I'll pass on this round.

So it goes.

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:13

It's possible multitasking will come with iPhone OS 4. Since it wasn't announced here, no reason to think it's something Apple won't add in the future. Seems like the iPad is a lot more powerful than the iPhone, I don't think cojones would be a problem as far as multitasking.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:16

Quote:
It's possible multitasking will come with iPhone OS 4. Since it wasn't announced here, no reason to think it's something Apple won't add in the future. Seems like the iPad is a lot more powerful than the iPhone, I don't think cojones would be a problem as far as multitasking.
Especially since Apple's apps are allowed to multi-task (actually, they run all the time / never stop running).

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-01-27, 15:17

I think multitasking will be the Rev. A iPad's "EDGE radio."

But I still like the iPad a lot.

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-27, 15:18

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for Copy & Paste? :-)

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:18

Quote:
Yeah, but that kind of takes away the one excuse people use for the iPhone about not having it.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:19

Quote:
Especially since Apple's apps are allowed to multi-task (actually, they run all the time / never stop running).
Question is if I'm working on Keynote and switch to the browser, will all my stuff be saved automatically each time? If so, I guess I can live with it.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-27, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post
To me the really limiting piece is that it runs the iPhone OS.

So very many things I want to do require OS X software.

For instance, if I'm making a Keynote presentation, I'm usually using Photoshop to get the images how I want, perhaps editing some audio clips..etc.
There's an app for that. Seriously though, if you're doing serious Photoshop, then a MacBook is *clearly* what you need. If you're tweaking exposure, color, sharpness, etc. there are already a ton of apps that can do that perfectly well. Same goes for creating simple Audio clips. This is not a device for serious pro work. It's a consumer device and/or a nice travel deivce for pros, not a substitute for a more powerful machine. Remember, it's running an Apple A4 chip, wherever that is, which probably won't run Photoshop nearly as well as an Intel Core chip.

I have to assume it is running some updated iPhone OS. It may or may not multitask. We might get an update later on. This thing isn't shipping yet.

I do think it's odd and funny that the things has a "mute" switch and volume rocker on it, like an iPhone with gigantism.

Does Apple say anywhere what the little doohickeys are on the bottom of the thing? I see the 30-pin Dock connection but what are the three things to its right? Headphones, mic and... ???

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:21

maybe it's the micro GSM card port.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

2010-01-27, 15:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Question is if I'm working on Keynote and switch to the browser, will all my stuff be saved automatically each time? If so, I guess I can live with it.
I would assume so. This is the iPhone's UI, which does this, why would a Keynote file be any different, even if it takes a while -- which points to the fact that at least iWork would likely need to run in the background to avoid huge delays in switching apps. Logically, multitasking might be a must-have given what this thing is capable of.

Another comment: I find it odd and a bit dishearteneing that the Photos app doesn't appear to let you edit images at all. Seems capable enough, no? I would like to see iLife move to this device: iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie anyway, probably iWeb too. It would be a shame if that's not the case.

bmorley

2010-01-27, 15:24

The three things are the built in speaker (as seen on the picture three quarters down on this page)

iPad Design

tannenhauser

2010-01-27, 15:24

Does Apple say anywhere what the little doohickeys are on the bottom of the thing? I see the 30-pin Dock connection but what are the three things to its right? Headphones, mic and... ???

theyre speakers

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2010-01-27, 15:26

mmmm, i like it...the price is right...

my questions:

should i get one macbook pro or two ipads??

why the macbook may win...
camera...i like to skype with my daughter...can you add a webcam to the ipad?
netflix...i could watch dr who and the it crowd in bed with a macbook pro, no it seems with the ipad

why the ipad might win...i can get TWO...one for me, one for the wife (we both have aging iBooks)
light and small and pretty
price...we could go real cheap as we have wifi and don't need the 3G...these would purely be used at home or maybe the coffee shop...everyplace we go has wifi and i have an iPhone for travel needs...

so two at 499 each would be nice...

still no web camera is sad for me...and no netflix is sad too

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough

Wrao
Yarp

2010-01-27, 15:28

So... basically, this device is a toy. It is not designed for doing work or being productive, although you could write emails on it, and do some word processing overall. It's just not powerful enough for many serious tasks, and the lack of multitasking makes it basically useless for 'work'. I think that many people(not so much here, but definitely elsewhere) are expecting it to be a computer, and disappointed that it's an iPod.

When viewed as strictly a toy, it is actually a pretty radical device. It'd be the perfect companion for a long plane ride(I honestly cannot imagine a more perfect tech toy for this purpose) and it would be a pretty fun thing to have with you if you were traveling abroad for a while. But, beyond that... it's not really useful for anything other than leisure and recreation.

Apple's quote about wanting to be at the 'intersection between liberal arts and technology' makes me believe that the Apple that we all grew up with and came to love respect over the years is officially dead. They are a CE company now. They will still make computers, but I expect the Pro lines to increasingly become more and more stratospheric and unrealistic for regular people, as the Macbook and iMac lines become increasingly iPod-like(already the sealed up form factors that they've adopted recently are kind of a major step away from 'serious computer') And Apple doesn't seem too interested in keeping up with specs anymore(not that they were ever on top of that)

All that said. iPad is a brilliant toy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-27, 15:28

Yeah, I'd have no interest in the 3G stuff at all. If I ever got one, it would be the $499 base model.

Been e-mailing back and forth a bit with my former brother-in-law who works in Redmond (seriously, it's with the company you're thinking) and he was asking my thoughts on it, and giving his. He raises some great points.

I go back to what I've been saying all along.

It's going to have a targeted user base because someone could indeed go to Best Buy and get a less expensive Windows 7 netbook that runs Office and Photoshop Elements, etc.

But that's kinda always been the case with Apple stuff, so the same things that make people buy MacBooks and iPods over less expensive competitors will apply here, I guess? People simply expect a certain level of cohesion, ease-of-use and quality with Apple stuff at this point, and that's going to override the usual "I can get more for less!" arguments for many.

But, yeah...you have to be a certain type of user for this. If you truly require Office and Photoshop, etc., then this is immediately taken out of the running in those "netbook killer" purchase plans. But there's also a different, huge user base that such a device could totally work for.

Apple has to be banking on that to carry this?

It's what I've said all along about those of us who already have iPhones or iPod touches (or notebooks) probably not being the primary, obvious target group.

So many unanswered questions.

I think it stands a 75% chance of being a true, raging success. I think there are enough "hmmm..." things about it that I can't get 100% bonkers over it. Time will tell...will it be another iPod and iPhone? Or will it be the 2010 version of the G4 Cube or iPod Hi-Fi?

I think it'll be somewhere in between, favoring the success side a bit more. Some real-world, independent input and reviews will be welcome news and info, as all we have right now is Apple spin and PR to go on.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-27, 15:30

Okay, so it's basically a big-screen iPod Touch. Not sure I understand the appeal. Why spend $500 on this when you can get a netbook for $300? Netbooks give you the ability to multitask, run just about any OS you want (Linux, Windows, even Mac with a little hacking), a keyboard that is actually practical to use, and expandable memory.

The OS, and moreover the lack of OS options, really hurts this thing. The price isn't terrible, and it's in line with other touchscreen netbooks, but netbooks just offer so much more. Also it's really stupid that you have to spend another $100 for an extra 16GB of flash memory, and there's no memory card slot. How much does 16GB of flash memory cost? About $15?

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-27, 15:31

Good thoughts Pscates.
For me it's just too expensive for a "media toy". And omissions like a camera for iChatting and no multitasking (iTunes while doing iPhoto stuff maybe) make me simply shake my head.

I wonder if some of the details might change between now and shipping. Otherwise it feels like the 2.0 product will be closer to the device many of us want for a "media toy".

julesstoop
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:33

This thing offers an acceptable interface, that's why I would prefer it over any other machine with similar screen size.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorley View Post
The three things are the built in speaker (as seen on the picture three quarters down on this page)

iPad Design
Missed that on the page. Thank you!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

Quote:
I wonder if some of the details might change between now and shipping. Otherwise it feels like the 2.0 product will be closer to the device many of us want for a "media toy".
That's what I've been thinking. They've done it before, on a few occasions. They never really got into iPhone 4.0 (never acknowledged it, period), so there's a whole wing of stuff they they didn't (couldn't?) get into today that makes me think some of these concerns might be temporary and short-lived? They couldn't get into them without "spoiling" some other future stuff that is waiting in the wings?

I think that's at play here, I really do. They didn't paint a complete picture today, I have a feeling.

There's nothing keeping them from rolling out iPhone 4.0 a week (or days) before these first iPads go on sale, and coming pre-loaded and able to do some of the things we're squawking about 3.2 not being able to do?

Just a thought...they just didn't want to spill the 4.0 beans today?

And you know what? I think, come summer once this has hit the streets and been out for a few months, this might very well wind up being the Thing to Have. It does what it does, and I don't think you can undersell or downplay those odd little intangibles like "intimacy" and luggability and so forth. I think this will prove to be a success, because I'm looking at all the "dings" and "negatives" and am realizing those don't apply for everyone, and so many other things will override them as people get this in their hands.

It's tough betting against Apple on this kind of stuff. You're tempted to, but look how many times you'd be dead-ass wrong the past few years? I think they know what they're doing, and I think they have a better (or different) handle on some of this stuff that we never could.

I don't think they care that people can't run PowerPoint and Photoshop on this, as that was never their goal. In Apple's mind, we're "wrong" for ever expecting it to begin with?

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-27, 15:35

It's a great "third device", whatever the market size is for that. I've been saying that for weeks now, though.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-27, 15:36

Quote:
Good thoughts Pscates.
For me it's just too expensive for a "media toy". And omissions like a camera for iChatting and no multitasking (iTunes while doing iPhoto stuff maybe) make me simply shake my head.

Have to agree. One of my thoughts was to have an image floating on top of 'Brushes' or other paint app, so I could work on drawing. But, I'd need the ability to run two programs at once (one with a resizable window with the ability to be pinned on top), and be able to use a stylus.

Also, I have a cool app idea, but I need multi-tasking in order to be able to trigger alarms. Even if Apple allowed me to add alarms to their always-running clock/alarm app, I'd build a workaround that used this, but I can't at this time.

It's funny because if you go back a few months, you can find posts from me where I didn't believe multi-tasking was a make or break feature, but ever since I paid my $99 to Apple, I can't come up with any ideas that don't rely on the ability to multi-task in order to be 100% useful.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-01-27, 15:38

Was there an estimated date for availability?

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-01-27, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
So... basically, this device is a toy. It is not designed for doing work or being productive, although you could write emails on it, and do some word processing overall. It's just not powerful enough for many serious tasks, and the lack of multitasking makes it basically useless for 'work'. I think that many people(not so much here, but definitely elsewhere) are expecting it to be a computer, and disappointed that it's an iPod.

When viewed as strictly a toy, it is actually a pretty radical device. It'd be the perfect companion for a long plane ride(I honestly cannot imagine a more perfect tech toy for this purpose) and it would be a pretty fun thing to have with you if you were traveling abroad for a while. But, beyond that... it's not really useful for anything other than leisure and recreation.

Apple's quote about wanting to be at the 'intersection between liberal arts and technology' makes me believe that the Apple that we all grew up with and came to love respect over the years is officially dead. They are a CE company now. They will still make computers, but I expect the Pro lines to increasingly become more and more stratospheric and unrealistic for regular people, as the Macbook and iMac lines become increasingly iPod-like(already the sealed up form factors that they've adopted recently are kind of a major step away from 'serious computer') And Apple doesn't seem too interested in keeping up with specs anymore(not that they were ever on top of that)

All that said. iPad is a brilliant toy.
100% agree with you! I was thinking of throwing in a couple sentences in my post about how you can't really do any work on it, as opposed to a netbook, but I wasn't sure how to say it. It seems the iPad, along with the iPhone and iPod Touch, are devices made purely for media consumption and have absolutely nothing to do with the creative endeavors Apple was once known for. It's just a portable internet screen now. Portable Facebook/Twitter/Wikipedia. You can't even access the file structure or make backups of your work without an internet connection.

So basically get an iPad if what you want is yet another means of surfing the web at every waking hour, and get a netbook if you want to actually do something.