User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?
Page 21 of 21 First Previous 17 18 19 20 [21]  Thread Tools
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-25, 12:07

CSiPad

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-03-25, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
CSiPad
Quick pregnancy test?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-25, 12:16

"It seems, Frank, that Flash has crashed...its last party." <cue The Who>

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-03-25, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

"It seems, Frank, that Flash has crashed...its last party." <cue The Who>
Nailed it.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-25, 12:23

Quote:
Although "CSI: Miami" is completely ridiculous in any format...TV, HD, Flash, HTML 5, DVD, iPod, etc.. Let's just be clear on that.
All the CSIs are. Have you seen these?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-25, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Nailed it.
Yeah, that's the perfect Horatio-ism. Here's the formula:

1) You gotta say "Frank" (that bald cop who's always standing with him at the opening crime scene)
2) Awful, labored pun or cheesy wordplay relating to the victim, the cause of death, the surrounding environment or circumstances, etc.
3) Dramatic pause (accompanied by putting sunglasses back on, and looking up to the sky or off into the horizon)

Pretty much the most idiotic TV show that has ever been. But one of my biggest guilty pleasures ever. It's so bad and cheesy that it's sometimes a total hoot to watch, just to groan and roll your eyes 35-40 times an hour.

Miko
Veteran Member

2010-03-25, 20:22

This Eye Tracking demo video is pretty amazing, although I think you need a front facing camera so maybe we'll see it on the iPad 2.0. Either way this is real cutting edge tech and I don't think or hope the red dot will be there if this makes it to a final release.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-03-25, 20:23

Quote:
tries and standoffs."

Goober.
Playing badass cops since 1982.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-03-26, 12:18

Well, now that we are in the comic department:

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-03-26, 12:51

Hahaha, cool!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-02, 15:01

Are the versions of iWork available for the iPad the same ones - features, capabilities, themes, etc. - as those for the Mac? Straight parity between the iPad Keynote and OS X Keynote, etc. The iPad versions have simply been redesigned for use at that display size and with Multi-Touch navigation, but all the transitions, effects, etc. are present?

Because now I'm wondering if this might not be a suitable portable for my Dad? He does his stuff in Keynote now, after all. Other than that, his other work involves writing, Internet access and e-mail.

I assume these things will connect to projectors and so forth, for presentations (that's the type of work he does, for real and on the side/contract.

But $500-700 certainly trumps $1,000+ (MacBook Pro, refurb or new).

Anyone know? Because if there's no "lite" aspect of the iPad one (certain transitions or effects don't make the trip over, and it louses up his slideshow), I believe I can just about convince him to give this route some consideration. I assume this processor is up to the challenge of ongoing, steady Keynote usage on a semi-serious basis?

jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2010-04-02, 15:11

Quote:
Are the versions of iWork available for the iPad the same ones - features, capabilities, themes, etc. - as those for the Mac? Straight parity between the iPad Keynote and OS X Keynote, etc. The iPad versions have simply been redesigned for use at that display size and with Multi-Touch navigation, but all the transitions, effects, etc. are present?
I thought they were going to releaser a special iWork like application and the price was $9.95.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-02, 15:20

They have, and it is.

What I'm asking is are they exactly the same (the Mac OS X versions of the iWork '09 applications you'd use on your Mac and the $9.99 iPad versions). The iPad iWork apps aren't some sort of "lite" version, are they?

I was never clear on that. I assume it's a straight, 1-for-1 life/mirror, but it would be nice to know for sure. Because it would suck to have to rework a bunch of Keynote transitions or other things on the road, after building them on your iMac and assuming they'd open right up on the iPad, perfectly intact.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-02, 15:37

Quote:
Because now I'm wondering if this might not be a suitable portable for my Dad? He does his stuff in Keynote now, after all. Other than that, his other work involves writing, Internet access and e-mail.

I assume these things will connect to projectors and so forth, for presentations (that's the type of work he does, for real and on the side/contract.

But $500-700 certainly trumps $1,000+ (MacBook Pro, refurb or new).

Anyone know? Because if there's no "lite" aspect of the iPad one (certain transitions or effects don't make the trip over, and it louses up his slideshow), I believe I can just about convince him to give this route some consideration. I assume this processor is up to the challenge of ongoing, steady Keynote usage on a semi-serious basis?
Keynote was the "killer app" that put me over the tipping point towards purchase. I'll let you know when I have it up and running. I ordered the dock-to-VGA adapter, so I can give presentations. I have numerous existing Keynote talks I can put on it and test for compatibility.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-02, 15:38

Quote:
Are the versions of iWork available for the iPad the same ones - features, capabilities, themes, etc. - as those for the Mac?
No. For example, Keynote for iPad lacks presenter notes. Also, when importing a file from Keynote for Mac, not all text layout is preserved.

(Both according to http://www.macworld.com/article/150267/.)

Quote:
Straight parity between the iPad Keynote and OS X Keynote, etc. The iPad versions have simply been redesigned for use at that display size and with Multi-Touch navigation, but all the transitions, effects, etc. are present?
I'm not sure straight parity is feasible/desirable. I think Keynote for iPad will eventually shine in different ways than Keynote for OS X does.

What I've found painful to read:

Quote:
We were able to use the existing iPhone/iPod composite and component adapters to connect to a widescreen TV. The images looked good, though a 1024x768 Keynote presentation was stretched to fit the 16:9 external display and we couldn’t force it to display black bars instead.
Ew.

Quote:
Yes, with the above caveat.

Quote:
I assume this processor is up to the challenge of ongoing, steady Keynote usage on a semi-serious basis?
That seems a safe assumption to make. Everything I've seen so far suggests that using the iPad is incredibly smooth.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-02, 16:05

Hmmm...interesting stuff. Thanks. And ezkcdude, I look forward to some real-life observations and input about this.

This might not be the way to go for him if were to involve a bunch of tweaking/finessing while on the road.

While the version on the iPad is great (and I'm glad Apple is doing it), transferring from the Mac to the iPad might create a few little annoying issues. But I'm open to hearing about what they are, exactly, and how big or serious they might be.

Oh well...I thought I might've been in a position to save my old man a grand or so.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-04-02, 16:11

Yeah. That 1024x768 resolution or presentations sucks big time.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-04-02, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I find that's still the most common projector format in practical use, so it doesn't concern me too much.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-04-02, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Let's hope they eventually allow options for outputting a black-bars 1024x576 (16:9) or 1024x640 (16:10) picture.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-02, 22:10

As far as accessories go, has anyone announced any sort of mounting arm, gooseneck or "easel" devices for the iPad? I think a stylish, smartly-designed stand (height- and tilt adjustable, as well as allowing for portrait or landscape usage) would be a hit...especially among those looking to use an external keyboard with their iPad.

I figured Griffin, Macally, DLO or other companies like them would've unveiled such a thing by now.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-02, 22:21

Apple's iPad case can basically function as an easel. Other than that, I don't know.

12:39 to go.

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2010-04-02, 22:44

Quote:
As far as accessories go, has anyone announced any sort of mounting arm, gooseneck or "easel" devices for the iPad? I think a stylish, smartly-designed stand (height- and tilt adjustable, as well as allowing for portrait or landscape usage) would be a hit...especially among those looking to use an external keyboard with their iPad.

I figured Griffin, Macally, DLO or other companies like them would've unveiled such a thing by now.

Wouldn't they require an iPad in order to make the molds? I can't see them receiving advanced models given the super tight secrecy around this product. Although, how do they manage to make iPhone cases so quickly? Unless they have inside connections with those who manufacture it.

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2010-04-02, 23:00

They probably only need the dimensions from the product specs.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-04-02, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Although, how do they manage to make iPhone cases so quickly? Unless they have inside connections with those who manufacture it.
I'm quite sure Apple works with case manufacturers for the iProducts, so a full assortment of cases is available on day one. Case manufacturers clearly know what, say, an iPod will be shaped like beforehand, if little else.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-04-03, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Wouldn't they require an iPaOMG...I just saw you on a State Farm commerciald in order to make the molds? I can't see them receiving advanced models given the super tight secrecy around this product. Although, how do they manage to make iPhone cases so quickly? Unless they have inside connections with those who manufacture it.
I'm not picturing any sort of form-fitting design. Merely a lipped "gripper" edge in which the iPad rests, or nestles into. I would think all that would be needed are the device's dimensions (and maybe its weight), which have all been available to the public since January 27.

Maybe it is easier to design such a thing with the product in hand (to tweak the balance and proportions). But something like SketchUp and a trimmed piece of half-inch plywood should work just fine for any curious, enterprising outfits with a good idea (and looking to get a jump on the competition).

imagine an iPad as flexible and "positionable" (is that a word?) as the display on the iMac G4, via some sort of articulated arm attached to a weighted base...fun times for many users!

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-04-03, 05:35

Quote:
I'm not picturing any sort of form-fitting design. Merely a lipped "gripper" edge in which the iPad rests, or nestles into. I would think all that would be needed are the device's dimensions (and maybe its weight), which have all been available to the public since January 27.

Maybe it is easier to design such a thing with the product in hand (to tweak the balance and proportions). But something like SketchUp and a trimmed piece of half-inch plywood should work just fine for any curious, enterprising outfits with a good idea (and looking to get a jump on the competition).

imagine an iPad as flexible and "positionable" (is that a word?) as the display on the iMac G4, via some sort of articulated arm attached to a weighted base...fun times for many users!
Suction cups.

So many people will be licking these that it cries out for old school adhesion.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2010-04-03, 13:51

NEW thread for iPad Launch Day and Initial Impressions:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=34332