User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad: Computer for a new "casual user" market? Redefining "personal computing"?
Page 4 of 21 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-01-29, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's a much nicer, tighter look. I assume there's some sort of slider preference in the System Prefs where users can choose this (and maybe even icon size, if you've got older, weaker eyes?).
I would expect no preference. Rather, as you drag more apps in, the others move to make room.

Quote:
Apparently there needs to be a companion WhyDon'tYouSTFU? app as well.
You're on to something.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-29, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I almost wrote this yesterday. I'm in the process of doing a full remodel on my soon to be house (down to the studs inside, replacing all electrical, etc.) and I'm seriously considering replacing everything with home automation outlets so I can control my house from my iPhone, or my wife's iPhone, or the iPad ...
Ooh, you should! If I ever - ever - find myself in that situation (a down-to-the-studs remodel), my house will make the Bat Cave and the Enterprise look like nursery school.

I'll have voice- and touch-actived everything. Fingerprint sensors, keyless doors with retina scanning, a jointed/adjustable iPad holder that pulls out in front of the toilet, etc.

Ceiling fans, security alarm, lighting, outdoor lighting, timers, etc. all controlled from my phone. I'll just sit in a big chair, shave my head, buy a cat and cackle maniacally at ALL MY POWER!!!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-01-29, 14:22

Quote:
Ooh, you should! If I ever - ever - find myself in that situation (a down-to-the-studs remodel), my house will make the Bat Cave and the Enterprise look like nursery school.

I'll have voice- and touch-actived everything. Fingerprint sensors, keyless doors with retina scanning, a jointed/adjustable iPad holder that pulls out in front of the toilet, etc.

Ceiling fans, security alarm, lighting, outdoor lighting, timers, etc. all controlled from my phone. I'll just sit in a big chair, shave my head, buy a cat and cackle maniacally at ALL MY POWER!!!
Hahahahahaha, exactly!

adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2010-01-29, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Piece I wrote for another site...

iPad explained for geeks.
Can we digg this or something? It's a great analogy.

I'm becoming more and more tempted to get one, though I think I'll jump on an iPhone upgrade first.
It will be interesting to find out the UK pricing. Something like £350 (which I cant see) would make it extremely hard to say no to, but Im thinking we will be lucky to get £450.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambrennan View Post
Can we digg this or something? It's a great analogy.
Actually, it might end up on a Real News Site, kinda by accident, so... give it a day, and you might have a real URL that doesn't hit our servers so hard.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 21:09

Ok, here you go:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/192799.asp

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 21:38

Quote:

I think this just decimated the custom theater uber-remote market. And the home controller market. And... and... and...
Does the iPad have IR? It's not going to replace my Logitech remote, if it doesn't.

almost2mac

2010-01-29, 21:49

Quote:
^^--- This. My dad is techophobic, but wants to be in contact with family and friends online.

He bitches about losing his files (user-exposed filesystem is a negative for him).

He bitches about not knowing what's running when (multi-tasking confuses him).

He bitches about the cost of a new machine ($499? nice).

The iPad does, AFAICT, everything he wants to do, it's small, light, portable, has ubiquitous communication, it's cheap *AND* it looks dirt simple to use. He's the target market for this thing, IMO.

And there are a LOT of people out there like him. They want an appliance, not a PC.

(If only it didn't need a host PC for backups...)
Yes! This is the gadget for my dad. He only last year started carrying a pre-paid cell phone which he uses when *he wants* to. Only a couple of months ago have I been able to edge him into texting, which he likes even better because he's from the ham-radio school and likes the idea of sending small messages.

They have been on dialup forever only so they can use occasional slow email. They don't understand what the fuss is about broadband. However now that *everything* is going online he's often calling me so I can look something up online for him.

He will *totally* be all about the $15 250 meg "as you go" internet. It will be perfect for him to do research, use the maps, send email, read the occasional news site, and maybe do the occasional crossword puzzle. He has hundreds of books and lugs them around, hopefully I can induce him into e-books.

Apple just gave us all the greatest mother's/father's day present this year ever.

Yes, it'd be nice if it multitasks, but the average person I have to troubleshoot at work has no idea that they are ever running more than one program at once on windows. I've watched someone close an email browser window, open another to look something up, then open the email one again to reply after they'd done research.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Does the iPad have IR? It's not going to replace my Logitech remote, if it doesn't.
Nope. I saw a neat device not too long ago though that was a WiFi unit that the iPhone controlled, and *it* sent out the IR codes. It wasn't a dongle, it sat on the table, or could be incorporated into a theatre system using IR channel cables (cheap fiber optics). Wasn't that pricey either. $50?

The nice thing being, it was potentially also controllable from a Mac or Windows PC.

evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-01-29, 23:13

Quote:
Nope. I saw a neat device not too long ago though that was a WiFi unit that the iPhone controlled, and *it* sent out the IR codes. It wasn't a dongle, it sat on the table, or could be incorporated into a theatre system using IR channel cables (cheap fiber optics). Wasn't that pricey either. $50?

The nice thing being, it was potentially also controllable from a Mac or Windows PC.
LINK!?

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-29, 23:20

I've been looking! Can't seem to find the damned thing. XP

Edit: Okay... so it's a *wee* bit pricier than I thought... http://thinkflood.com/buy/products/redeye/

Still convinced I saw a much cheaper version a couple months ago.

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-01-30, 06:11

So did Fraser Speirs copy you or the other way around, Kick?

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

Last edited by scratt : 2010-01-30 at 06:27. Reason: speeeling!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-01-30, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
So did Frasier Speirs copy you or the other way around, Kick?

I don't think Fraser and Jason know each other.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 10:46

Great minds think alike?

Nice article, I hadn't seen it.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 11:20

Here's another interesting blog post.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 11:50

Quote:

I was laying in bed yesterday - trying to get rid of a headache and I 'Invented' just such a device. Then I quickly discovered that it had already been invented.

I think there are a few options out there. AV forums are a good place to get some info about them. In the brief bit of looking that I did, it seemed like some of the early iterations left a little to be desired. But I'm sure someone will come up with a quality device soon.

What will be the most important component is the app. If the app is done right, programming a remote on the iPad should be a snap. A good database of equipment/IR codes, and an easy to follow interface for selecting them, simple rearranging of buttons, and programming macros should all be quite simple.

What would ultimately be the best scenario, IMO, would be hardware devices that any developer was free to write an App for. That way, we wouldn't be dependent on the hardware designers to also write the most capable App.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

Last edited by zippy : 2010-01-30 at 12:02.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-30, 12:06

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
So did Fraser Speirs copy you or the other way around, Kick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
I think these three bits of writing perfectly say what needs to be said, and I've forwarded them on to several people (particularly those who've been pissing and moaning about it all since Wednesday afternoon). I've heard back from a few and they seem to have changed their tune a bit.

Good, persuasive writing and case-making, all three.

It's actually quite exciting, what Wednesday announcement means in the bigger scheme of things, and what it might lead to. Get beyond the hardware - the tablet itself (which, really, anyone could do) - and think about what's on it, and the thinking behind it all.

Good stuff.

rdlomas

Send a message via AIM to rdlomas Send a message via Yahoo to rdlomas  
2010-01-30, 12:14

The "remote control" idea is a very good one.

It's a shame they didn't integrate IR into the iPad. Having to use a separate IR blaster is a deal breaker for most people, especially since all the components then have to be somewhat near each other.

The iPad would be the ultimate HT remote.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 12:33

Quote:
It's actually quite exciting, what Wednesday announcement means in the bigger scheme of things, and what it might lead to. Get beyond the hardware - the tablet itself (which, really, anyone could do) - and think about what's on it, and the thinking behind it all.
I saw a few tablets on tv this weekend...

One was on Project Runway (a show my wife and I watch together) and it was either a Dell or an HP one. It looked like a boring grey slab of plastic with a fairly lacklustre screen, running something akin to XP. And the designers were struggling with a stylus to draw on it. The first thing I noticed was that they had to use it by laying it flat on a table, because it was unwieldy and if they held it they touched the screen and messed up the drawing. Most went back to paper, and I have a feeling the shots using it were contrived for PR.

The other was on some scifi show, and again the user had to cradle it like a baby to use it and it looked awkward and unwieldy also. It was too big, and seemed too complex to use one handed.

Finally I saw one on Sky News, where they were actually talking about the iPad. Again, too big, and being used simply as a display they could hold to read off.

In all cases they were basically running Windows with some kind of touch input.

It made sense to me at that point why Apple have put a big bezel on theirs, the size they have chosen, and the software design for the OS.

Simple things. But then that's what Apple do. Spot the obvious flaws and engineer to solve them.

I can't wait to see some iPads in tv shows later this year...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 12:38

Quote:
Great minds think alike?

Nice article, I hadn't seen it.
I didn't for a minute think you had (at the point you wrote yours).

Was just ribbing you, but also found it cool to see how you'd both hit those same points so clearly.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-30, 12:47

Yeah, I imagine the iPad will be like the iMac and other popular Apple products, in terms of showing up in movies and TV shows over time. Some will choose to obscure/cover the Apple logo on the back, but you can always tell what's what if you know your Apple hardware.

Something we've not really gotten into yet...marketing. What kinds of TV commercials and print ads do you think we'll see? Some good, new ones, I hope.

In fact, do you think maybe the...nah, nevermind. Apple doesn't do Super Bowl anymore...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post

It's a shame they didn't integrate IR into the iPad. Having to use a separate IR blaster is a deal breaker for most people, especially since all the components then have to be somewhat near each other.

*nod* I know what you mean about the components needing to be near each other, but the really high end installations have the components in a closet somewhere, with an IR repeater exposed to the viewer. This just replaces the *repeater* with an IR *source*.

For under $200 I can get the same functionality as a high-end several hundred dollar customizable remote, *plus* an IR repeater.

That's not too shabby.

scratt
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 13:06

I always wonder why we don't see more BT controllers for stuff...

I presume it's unit cost.

But I would expect in coming years lack of infra red is going to be less of an issue.. But perhaps I am talking out of my hat?

Miko
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 13:08

Well I didn't think it would take too long before the jailbrake community put together the iPad look in an iPhone way albeit scaled down. This is why we weren't all that impressed with the release. so I guess size does matter because this makes a pretty compelling argument for what really makes the iPad Apple's most advanced tech product to date and why?? Screen Size oh and I guess the A4 processor.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 13:16

Oi vey, just a couple of days and can't read through this thread fast enough. It sounds like some just aren't getting it. The iPad is different, and that's the main reason it's got any value. They've re-thought the technological paradigms so that they aren't making a keyboard-less computer, but a genuine touch pad UI. How much does multitasking matter in a slate computer? You close the app and it saves your place, your apps are all on a home screen, you just tap another when you need, and there it is, you're multitasking! The single-multitask distinction doesn't really apply anymore than the desktop idiom applies. So they threw it all out and started again, and if they hadn't done it that way, you'd have one of those horrible slate devices that don't make either a good tablet or a good notebook.

chucker

2010-01-30, 13:17

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't want to sit through ten minutes of obnoxious music. Here's the article.

And here's the only relevant bit from it:

Quote:
install the following in this order.

Winterboard app via Cydia
“Simple iPad Theme” via Cydia
MakeItMine app via Cydia to Change the Carrier logo to iPad. More details here.
Shrink app via Cydia to reduce the size of all the icons on the springboard.
ProSwitcher via Cydia for Multitasking. More details here.
NYTimes – The New York Times app for iPhone via App Store
Classics – The iBooks lookalike app for iPhone via App Store
Kindle for iPhone via App Store
So I guess what they're doing is theming it, decreasing the icon size, and replacing the carrier logo. I feel reminded of the days where installing an Aqua skin on Windows amounted to "making your PC look like a Mac". And it's not a pleasant reminder.

zippy
Veteran Member

2010-01-30, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlomas View Post

That would have been a nice add-on, but then it's something that most people wouldn't need/want, so I can see why Apple didn't add it.

Then again, a better long term solution would be for TVs, Stereos, etc. to have WiFi built into them so that we could natively control them that way. IR is so last century.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-30, 16:24

I'll be seeing my Mom at some point tomorrow, and I'm going to see what she thinks about this. She is actually the perfect candidate/customer for this device.

While she does cards and invitations, uses Quicken and has Office 2008, those are all on her Mac mini, her main machine. She specifically avoided installing those on the refurb Mac she got last year because it was just going to be her "travel and fun" machine. She took it to Washington, New England and a few other places in 2009, and she'll be traveling a bit in 2010. But she only uses Safari, Mail and iTunes.

The MacBook, even refurb, was kinda pricey and a little more than she really needed. I tried to sell her on just getting an iPod touch but "the screen is just too small", she said.

Well...

So I think she could sell her MacBook (and she uses it a lot at home, from the couch and in bed at night, and she just had her front porch redone and its huge and she'll be out there all the time when the weather warms up) and get the 16GB WiFi-only iPad ($499) and not even miss a beat.

She has no third-party applications on her MacBook, and doesn't use it for anything else by the above (surfing, e-mailing, etc.). When she uses it at home, on the couch, she's forever fidgeting with its placement, screen angle, etc. anyway.

And she's even said, on a couple of occasions, "if only they made that iPod touch bigger...".

She just needs an iPad...no mouse, no heavy typing, etc. She's the exact type of user I've talked about/imagined this for all along: already has a desktop where she does her "real work" (on a nice 19" widescreen display), she doesn't have an iPhone or any other "smartphone"...just a regular cell phone (calls and texting). The MacBook she has is overkill, but she didn't want to go back to Windows ever again and the iPad didn't exist last March or April (the iPod touch did...she just couldn't deal with the size, apparently).

So, really...she's got no excuses. It's the perfect, sensible replacement for her MacBook, which she only uses about 8% of its capabilities/power.

She should sell her MacBook to my sister (which would finally get her off Windows - and my sister already has an iPhone 3G and an iPod nano, so she's halfway there as it is) and just get an iPad in March (she's going to Anaheim in April, so...). In fact, my sister is even more of a "non-user" than my Mom, now that I think about it (surfing and e-mailing, iTunes and photos...that's it, period.

My sister should just get one, now that I think about it and the MacBook can go to someone else? I'll post it here, if/when she decides to follow through on my suggestion above.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2010-01-30, 18:33

I'm a little wary of the whole "it's for grandma" thing, that it doesn't get repeated too much. It's what people said about the original iMac. Actually, the whole reaction to this reminds me of the iMac's introduction and followed it through its existence in its CRT blob incarnation. I'm waiting for the video of the geek shooting one up and saying "it's fine for grandma, but if you want a real tablet, buy a...." something.

I'm actually someone who liked Macs because I had to (generally) think less about the machine and more about the content. That's probably why I see a missed opportunity with leaving out iLife functionality. Anyway, my point is that the iPad isn't just for grandma, it's for me! I'll still use computers at work, do all that stuff that truly requires a desktop or notebook. But to come home, plop down, and use this thing will be very welcome I imagine, more so than a Macbook even. Just a feeling I have since I haven't actually used one. I'm very enthusiastic about the potential of it at the very least.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-30, 19:04

But nobody's saying "it's just for grandma", though. It's for anyone - anyone - who falls into that particular user category that the iPad aims for.

It just so happens that grandmas, non-techies, great aunts, etc. happen to fall into that group, in large numbers. There's nothing bad in saying that...those people deserve to have a shot at the Internet, digital photos, music, etc. too.

It's probably, when you get right down to it, more of a "for the rest of us" type product over any Mac they've ever made.

As for the geeks shooting up rival hardware and acting like asshats about it...let 'em. Their grip is slowly losing over the years anyway (because most people don't think the way they do, or wallow in the tedium and minutiae of "Computers - and How They Work!™"). They just get mad when people need them less and less in their lives.