PCT: Respiration and Photosynthesis

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PCT: Respiration and Photosynthesis
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-07-28, 13:45

Canon S90. There have been so many opportunities for great pictures in the garden at work that have been missed due to only having my N1 on me that I decided to get a compact to carry around.

It will be great for those days when I don't want to lug around the slr gear.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-07-30, 01:09

Ok, so here is what photosynthesis means to me:

For my job as it is right now, visual impact is the main driving force. In terms of this Clematis, the vivid colours and lines beg you to come in for a closer look. Your eye is drawn to it. It doesn't have to be a visually stunning flower, as long as it has some interesting characteristic that makes people stop for a second and take a closer look.

On a side note, I love this new camera. Even in the heat of the afternoon I was able to produce pictures that looked good. I am very happy with this purchase!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-07-30, 01:14

This is my entry. A broken toe has made any future ventures difficult at best.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-30, 02:01

@PB PM Oh no! I hope your foot feels better soon

Pretty picture though. Except the spiderweb! *shivers*
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-07-30, 18:28

Just for fair warning: entries will be accepted up to Midnight EST, Saturday July 31.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-07-31, 13:36

Sorry, no entry from me this time. I had too much work to do in the past weeks. I had the following weird idea for a shot with respiration and photosynthesis: Title: "Misguided help" - A closeup of a guy (with ambulance uniform), trying to do mouth-to-mouth breathing with a dried up sunflower...

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-31, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpotter View Post
Sorry, no entry from me this time. I had too much work to do in the past weeks. I had the following weird idea for a shot with respiration and photosynthesis: Title: "Misguided help" - A closeup of a guy (with ambulance uniform), trying to do mouth-to-mouth breathing with a dried up sunflower...
Aww.

If this was a conceptual art thread, you'd totally win!
billybobsky
BANNED

2010-08-01, 07:48

I have a feeling that I may have made this challenge topic a bit too esoteric. That said, there were some very fine entries with a couple of photographs that really stood out.

First the runner up:

Bryson's maple/sky photograph. I think what gets me is the color contrasts between the sky and the cloud and the tree and the shadows even though, like most of the other photograph submissions, the subject was purely plants/photosynthesis.

And the winner:

Gargoyle's bbq picture. I don't know but for some reason I want to jump into the photograph, grab a fish off the grill and go walking into the valley below. While avoiding the subjects directly, this photograph captures both the recently respiring fish and green foliage almost invariably associated with photosynthesis. The puff of steam/smoke certainly adds to the aura and gives the photograph a feeling of action.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2010-08-01 at 13:35.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-08-01, 11:28

Congrats to Gargoyle and Bryson!

I feel bad that I too didn't get to join in the fun this time. Sure I could have shot something and thrown it up, but that doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of the challenges.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2010-08-01, 23:43

Did we ever figure out what we do in the situation that the winner doesn't come up with a new topic? Not that I expect this to happen in this case, but it strikes me that it could... I think it is obvious that it should fall to the runner up, but others may disagree...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-08-01, 23:49

The issue hasn't come up yet, so we never came up with anything. Having the runner up take over in case the winner has no ideas, or isn't available sounds right to me.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-08-02, 16:32

Wow, Really!?! Thanks guys, I really wasn't expecting that as there are some really great photos!

As such I have really no idea about a subject for this month, but I am going to rack my brains for the next 30 mins or so - If I cannot come up with anything, then I'll let Bryson have a shot.

Back soon....

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2010-08-02, 17:04

OK, next one is up... Just over here!