User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Any chance of screen update?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any chance of screen update?
TheWart

2005-03-17, 19:23

hey all, I really, really, really want to buy an ibook or pb over the summer to replace my unecessarily huge windows tower I have, but I have a quick question.

The 'new' xbrite screen equipped laptops from Sony (and I think Toshiba) look amazing imo. The sharpness of a CRT with the benefit of an LCD. There is no comparing them to normal pc laptops. My question is, I have never seen an xbrite screen next to an ibook or pb screen....are they comperable? If not, are there any rumours from the proverbial mill that indicate a screen update for the ibooks or pb's sometime in the next few months?

Thanks a lot!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-17, 20:21

Sony's xBrites look awesome. If you don't mind the occasional glare problems, they are superior in black reproduction, brightness and the intangible "wow" factor to any Apple notebook monitor IMO.

I would love to see it in PowerBooks/iBooks, but very much doubt to. But, of course, the design and build quality of Apple products and Mac OSX itself massively outweigh the lack of xBrite.

If you must have it, look at Sony's new 13 incher. It's very nice—my brother recently bought one.

bouncy bouncy

Last edited by SonOfSylvanus : 2005-03-17 at 20:39. Reason: 'Awsome'? Yeuch...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-03-17, 20:30

What's the battery usage like with those Xbrite screens? Is it comparable to the PowerBooks/iBooks? In my experience, the screen can easily be the leading killer of battery life and I would certainly not want Apple to move to something like Xbrite if its power consumption was worse than the current screens.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-03-17, 20:41

Good point about battery-life. I'll enquire with me brother next time I see him.

Battery-life is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT factor in notebook computing IMO.
TheWart

2005-03-17, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Good point about battery-life. I'll enquire with me brother next time I see him.

Battery-life is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT factor in notebook computing IMO.

Yea, I would be interested to see what it gets.

EDIT:
Man, that notebook does look nice, but it is pricey!

Also, Sony claims up to 5.5hrs of battery
hookalakupua

2005-03-18, 16:05

Hey Guys,
I'm sitting here in front of a 17" Powerbook and I'm a die hard mac user like the rest of you. My mother worked at Apple, my brother worked at Apple and I worked at Apple. I always have been and always will be a mac user...PERIOD!! My 17" Powerbook is the pride and joy of my life and I treat it like it's one of my own offspring. (i don't even let people talk negatively about it without threatening a major altercation)
With that said, my girlfriend just purchased a 13" Sony with the X-Brite Technology and it's frickin' ridiculous. There is definitely a glare with it but neither one of us has a problem with it. It absolutely kills me to say this in front of my own machine, but I'm looking at the two screens right now and it's not even close!!! (in terms of LCD and LCD only that is!!) The technology is amazing and if Apple can figure out a way to incorporate something like that into the new generation of G5 Powerbooks, that would be game, set, match. Sony specs. give a battery life of 5 to 5.5 hours but it's more like 4+.
If you guys haven't had a chance to see the Sony's, go take a look as it's well worth it.
Cheers,
Jason
mugwump

2005-03-18, 17:20

I'm sorry to state the obvious, but if you can get your girlfriend away from that X-Brite screen, and then you two go get married, and you continue to keep her away from the X-Brite and she conceives a child, and then you keep the Child away from the X-Brite and the child becomes as talented as the father, uncle, and grandmother -- you may very well be the first 3 Generation Apple worker Family!
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-03-18, 22:45

I think Apple really needs to incorporate some sort of screen improvement. Yes, they have the sexiest looking laptop, but it's time to kick it up a notch. These x-brite displays are not only sharper, but I recall seeing one with a non-glare model (not sure if it was Toshiba or Compaq).

The issue as others have mentioned, is battery life. From what I've read, the Centrino chip is pretty good in terms of speed and power consumption. Is there a PowerPC equivalent? On the upside, we have OSX.
runner91786

2005-03-19, 01:02

Well I work at Best Buy and I see these screens on a daily basis, as well as know about them. Sony's Xbrite, Toshiba's trubrite, Hp's brightview etc.. all are nice looking screens. Sony has now incorporated partial polarization into their newest screens. Their VGN-FS550 has almost no glare. You still get the sex appeal but without the glare. I also would love to see this in a powerbook. Fingerpringts unfortunately show up a lot better when there is no image, or black, but hey...who fingers their screen(other than customers at Best Buy) ? ?

Oh yeah, and also for the little 13.3" sony S-series some ACTUAL results have proven 5.5 hours, not just a sony declaration. Centrino(Pentium m) is the only good thing Intel has ever done.
hookalakupua

2005-03-19, 04:07

Now that's the funniest frickin' thing I've heard all year!!! But you know what, you're spot on with my girlfriend and the Xbrite...I don't think I've had my "medicine" since she's brought that damn thing home. (i guess this is how she must have felt for the first 2 years after bringing home my 17" PB!!! haha
And although I'd love to enter our family name in the Apple Record Books, I'm pretty sure that no offspring of mine will be working at Apple any time soon. (on my last day on the job, i was doing a co-worker a favor and ended up taking out an entire 5 tier row of product with a 38 lifter that jumped off of its laser track!! that was right before the move from hamilton to sacramento and I always wondered why they wanted me to stay out of the warehouse after that!! lol)
Thanks for the great laugh as you've "inspired" me this evening...i'll let you know how it goes!! haha