AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Any Peloton users out there?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any Peloton users out there?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-21, 20:36

About 3 months ago I decided that I just couldn't run with any regularity. I just have bad knees and nothing I tried would enable me to run enough to get good at it. I constantly sucked because I couldn't run for more than a couple of weeks at a time and not feel wrecked.

So I looked into other ways to get cardio. I don't have a gym membership and I haven't had one since we moved into our current house 3 years ago and I got a nice weight set in the basement. I didn't really feel like joining one just to use their cardio equipment.

I was talking to someone about exercise and he mentioned that he loves his peloton. I looked into it and the tech seemed very interesting to me (I'm talking tech as a platform/service and not the tech on the bike itself). I did some research into stationary bikes and the bike itself seemed to be pretty highly regarded if somewhat overpriced.

The used market seemed pretty brisk so I decided to buy one knowing I'd be out not much money if I didn't take to it. I found one used nearby with the right size shoes, coincidentally, for me and my wife. So, as I do, I bought it.

I had never taken a spin class before and only occasionally ride my bike with my kids around town. I thought I was in pretty decent shape so I hopped on and got my ass kicked in my first class. It was harder than any workout I'd ever done. But it was quite fun, too.

I tried a couple of instructors, found some playlists I liked and some instructors who weren't over the top or that made you do a ton of tapbacks or anything. Just some solid cycling instructors.

Then I found out about their power zones training and that was it. Really rigorous training with a sensible theory behind it. I was hooked. I've been riding 5 or 6 times/week for almost 3 months. I've noticed my heart rate decrease significantly on the same rides while producing far more power than before. I'm just getting stronger.

I went on an 8 mile hike up some mountains a couple of weeks back with some friends. I smoked them there and back, even my marathon running friend.

I'm aware of some the criticisms like cost (it wasn't cheap) and the monthly membership and that the bike is just a dumb bike without it. That there's variability in the calibration. That the LOOK Delta clips aren't used on any other bike.

But still. It's been literally remarkable for me. I haven't lost a pound of weight but my 31" waist pants are starting to fall off. Before I started, 32" was more comfortable for me.

Anyway, any other riders out there? If you're curious and willing to work at it (and have the cash for one), you should try it. I highly recommend them. (And, no, I'm not getting paid for this post!)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

Send a message via AIM to Yontsey Send a message via Skype™ to Yontsey 
2019-08-22, 09:00

I've been thinking about getting one the couple years. I have a really nice elliptical in my home gym that I use almost daily but I've been considering something just to mix it up every once in awhile. The yearly subscription cost is kind of a pain the ass but I've heard nothing but great things from them.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-22, 09:14

They dropped the requirement for a yearly subscription. Of course, you've still got to get the bike or have a stationary bike you can use with their app. But if you try it and don't like it, you'll not be on the hook for a year sub in addition to the bike.

You can also use their app if you've got a bike to try it with. It's $20/month. It's not the same experience because you don't get the metrics on the tablet but it's good to see how the instructors are.

kieran
Tweeting @kierankelly

2019-08-22, 11:08

This is something I’ve been thinking about for a few years. Definitely something that would be nice to have.

Just a little difficult to have in a one bedroom Manhattan apartment. Looking to move in a few months to get a bedroom for the little one, so that may get us some more room in order to make this happen.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-22, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
This is something I’ve been thinking about for a few years. Definitely something that would be nice to have.

Just a little difficult to have in a one bedroom Manhattan apartment. Looking to move in a few months to get a bedroom for the little one, so that may get us some more room in order to make this happen.
It'd be tough in a one bedroom. They are silent when in use if you've got bluetooth headphones aside from the snap when you clip in/out. It's a big upfront investment but if you use it regularly, it's worth it, IMHO.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-08-23, 09:13

I looked into these though I was looking at their treadmill. I ended up going with a Horizon instead because I couldn't justify the cost and I'm not really going to use a coach.

I have to say though, I love the concept and can see how it is a really solid way to get a group workout without the group in your house!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
MineCraft? mc.applenova.com | Visit us! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-25, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I looked into these though I was looking at their treadmill. I ended up going with a Horizon instead because I couldn't justify the cost and I'm not really going to use a coach.

I have to say though, I love the concept and can see how it is a really solid way to get a group workout without the group in your house!
The tread is super expensive. The Peloton classes are great. I don't run so the tread wasn't even in consideration. I'm not sure that I'd be as into the biking thing without the coaches, to be honest. The programs are fantastic. I don't know how they are on the running side but I imagine they are just as effective.

Regardless, these connected devices are really doing a number on so many economies.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 16:43

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these. They’ve become super popular in Portland, it’s like a new religion. Bri showed me a blueprint for a new apartment building where each unit had a dedicated Peloton room. Like, it says right on the blueprint, “PELOTON.” That sort of brand equity is just wild to me.

Like Tesla, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple ends up owning ‘em.

We moved to the ‘burbs last year so we don’t have a gym in our apartment building any more. Our old apartment had a gym for its tenants and there was a spin class in one of the retail spaces on the ground floor, it was the best. I have access to a gym at work and I told myself I was gonna be one of those up-at-five people who have a great workout in the morning but I…haven’t been making the most of it. It’s hard to get there before the day starts and afterwards I just want to go home, and since it’s before my commute home the gym there still feels like “being at work” in a way the old spin class didn’t. Also, the showers suck and I’m a delicate flower and like showering in my rainwater shower at home. But I know I need to do more cardio…

A few years ago I dismissed Pelotons as Juicero-style playthings for Silicon Valley tech bros with too much money. But now I kind of, like, want one? What has happened to me

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2019-08-25, 18:09

I totally get that "What has happened to me?" when it comes to the Peloton. I felt that way myself for the longest time. If you can swing the initial cost, it's worth it as long as you find spin class something you'll do. I wasn't sure that I'd be into it but since I don't have a gym membership and I found a used one, I figured it'd be a low risk experiment.

It's legit as far a platform. What's convinced me of that is the number of actual athletes who use it and they have an entire training program for those people who want to be better cyclists. Their business model also seems sustainable. They should be making a profit right out of the gate. Their bikes are expensive, even compared to their other flywheel-based competitors like Keiser but given that they've said they breakeven on each bike, they really can't sell them for cheaper.

Their $40/month membership isn't bad at all if you're a moderate user but also ensures they're not going to be operating at a loss. It might seem weird that as a customer, I'm concerned about their sustainability but if you buy into this ecosystem, their survival is important for the value proposition of the bike.

Anyway, get one. I can't recommend it more highly.