User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

"Pimp My Ride" is SO FAKE!


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Pimp My Ride" is SO FAKE!
Thread Tools
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuwait
 
2005-01-09, 04:16

I watch Pimp my Ride a lot and I noticed how whenever xibit visits the houses of the teens and knocks on their door, they teens always open it. Not the parents, or another family member, always the owner of the car. The reactions on the people though, the way they get excited is very real and i figured no way it could be acting, i figured maybe mtv called a couple of contestants up and told them that they were nominated to get their cars pimped, if they are chosen xibit will knock on there doors on this day at this time, make sure YOU open the door that day.

sounded reasonable..

so i was watching pimp my ride yesterday and this chick opens the door and she starts jumping all surprised and stuff and thats when i notice something. while she was jumping her top was going up and i noticed something black over her pants in the back. i thought it might be her gstring but since it was tivoed i was able to pause and frame by frame check it out. turns out its the mic thingy, u know the little box the tv people carry with the mic connected to it. that just pissed me off, how fake is that show?

i already read before i think it was in FHM about how most of the stuff on the show is fake, like when they gather in the room and they go over each persons ideas for the car. that turned out was all a show and the fact is the owner of west coast works with MTV on the car ideas and the employees later act as if they came up with the idea.

sucks..

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
  quote
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuwait
 
2005-01-09, 04:20

plus! while we are on the subject, anyone here watches American Chopper? I have been watching it since season 1. have you guys noticed how much advertising is all over the place now? they have banners on the walls, stickers on the doors of the shop and offices, really crazy. the weirdest shit though was yesterday when i realized that the guy who does their paint work, josh, he came into the shop with an OCC cap and tshirt! then another guy from the chromer people, he came in with a box of stuff they had chromed, and guess what, he was wearing an OCC hoodie!

did u guys also notice the OCC perfume? i think it was in the last issue of FHM or esquire...

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
  quote
Wrao
Yarp
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Road Warrior
 
2005-01-09, 04:28

Wait, you're surprised by this?

Of course it's not going to be impromptu surprise visit from xzibit, think of the millions of scenarios that could go wrong with that. I mean sure, it's probable that the kids really are surprised when MTV comes a knocking(or calling) but, what gets on the TV show has to be hyped.

If I were to get a pimped out ride from MTV, I'd sell that shit so fast. Seriously, they put like $40gs worth of work into some of these cars that are worth like $2000 tops. Sell it, buy a reliable economy car and pocket the rest.

Ya know, I've seen some of those episodes where the kids car looks like they literally went out of their way to trash it and make it absolutely disgusting. But then again, maybe that's MTV too.
  quote
MikeWarner
 
 
2005-01-09, 05:22

Yep - I've always thought that. The "enthusiasm" is very staged IMHO. Still good entertainment though, even though West Coast customs do really bad work on some of them.
  quote
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuwait
 
2005-01-09, 10:31



there you see!

i am always checking ebay to see if anyone is selling the cars. i think the kids probably sign a contract in which they are NOT allowed to sell it. i think MTV probably owns the cars and not the kids even.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
  quote
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NSA Archives
 
2005-01-09, 11:12

Newsflash: all reality shows are contrived and fake, thus earning themselves a spot in the "pure bullshit" genre.
  quote
hyperb0le
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Send a message via AIM to hyperb0le  
2005-01-09, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Newsflash: all reality shows are contrived and fake, thus earning themselves a spot in the "pure bullshit" genre.
Exactly. Pimp My Ride is one of my least favorite shows (next to all the dating/marriage ones). There is no reason to have all this shit in a car. It only serves to distract the driver. Since teens are the ones who get their cars "pimped," when they get distracted and crash, they get added to the statistics of teen accidents, which in turn makes my insurance rates higher.

Pimp My Ride = bad

"I understand small business growth. I was one." - George W. Bush
  quote
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-01-09, 12:26



Yes, the only notable thing about all these "reality" shows is just how UNrealistic they truly are. Give me a break.



No one is as surprised, emotional, bitchy, horny, conniving, mean, touchy, insightful, geeky, slutty, stupid, uptight, whiny, argumentative, etc. as all these shows portray.

I've got my own life, full of ups and downs and the good and the bad...why do I want to watch a bunch shitheaded, immature (and more always unlikable) strangers emoting and carrying on with THEIR nonsense?

  quote
Akumulator
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta
 
2005-01-09, 13:05

I enjoy Pimp My Ride once in a while because they do overly rediculous stuff to the car....

But Overhaulin' is so much better.
  quote
Spart
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Iowa
 
2005-01-09, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperb0le
Exactly. Pimp My Ride is one of my least favorite shows (next to all the dating/marriage ones). There is no reason to have all this shit in a car. It only serves to distract the driver. Since teens are the ones who get their cars "pimped," when they get distracted and crash, they get added to the statistics of teen accidents, which in turn makes my insurance rates higher.

Pimp My Ride = bad
I have to disagree. Most people listen to music in their cars, be it the radio on their stock sound system or people like me on our custom 2,500W sound systems. Listening isn't much of a distraction so long as you aren't so fiercely head-banging to the music that you actually can't see the road.

And as for the video aspect of the installs on PMR, it all depends on who does it. We installed a 7" monitor, DVD player, and an X-Box in my friend's Crown Vic. In the position that the monitor was at, it would swivel to face every occupant in the car but the driver. It has to be that way to be legal in Iowa. We had tons of fun playing Halo in the back seat of that car on the way to get some chinese...which became a ritual for us.

Still, I wouldn't consider most of the cars on PMR to be "daily drivers". They are all show cars...something I wouldn't drive around even if I owned one. My car has no video installations as of yet, it is all audio.

And no, just to avoid the snide comments, I'm not one of the annoying bastards that drives past your abode at night rattling your windows. I keep the subs turned down when I'm in town, usually even in broad daylight.
  quote
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-01-09, 13:15

I don't either of the shows. Overhaulin' I can tolerate because usually they do a nice job, not just make an incredibly gaudy car. I know its all good tv, but I would really much rather just see a show that documents how they actually overhauled the car, not just clips of buying parts, and odd clips of them installing the parts. Ahhh well, that of course wouldn't make entertaining television for most.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
  quote
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lost
 
2005-01-09, 16:51

Wait... you think PMR is bad? I suppose you haven't seen "Date my mom" (MTV, as well). By far, it is the most contrived and scripted show ever. I watched one episode just laughing at how ridiculously contrived it was. The worst parts are the conversations between the daughter and mother. It's amazing they are still airing it.
  quote
nomorewindows
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockie Mountains
 
2005-01-09, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
Wait... you think PMR is bad? I suppose you haven't seen "Date my mom" (MTV, as well). By far, it is the most contrived and scripted show ever. I watched one episode just laughing at how ridiculously contrived it was. The worst parts are the conversations between the daughter and mother. It's amazing they are still airing it.
THE worst is "Who's Your Daddy" (or something like that). I think the premise is an adopted person meets three people who are all pretending that they are the person's dad, mom whatever. Kind of like What's My Line. I shit you not. I have never watched because it just sounds so vile, but I've seen the trailers. Maybe it's a joke. Too pathetic to contemplate.
  quote
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kuwait
 
2005-01-10, 01:22

I dont think PMR goes for practicality when they install stuff. I mean a fire place in the trunk is like useless. I saw them once mount a 40inch screen in the back which is cool, but u sat like 3 feet from it which i thought was tooooo fucking close to be able to watch or play anything comfortably. Then once they had like 9 plasmas embedded into the floor of the car. THats really unpractical to watch a movie on.

Watching the show makes u think that plasmas and LCDs have gotten a lot cheaper... cheaper my ass all the screens still cost a lot. One time they installed rims on a car which had spokes that were made from real gold! Each rim cost a lot more then the car originally costed!

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
  quote
Mississauga
 
 
2005-01-10, 11:32

Pimp My Ride = an embarrassment to the custom auto industry

American Chopper = a good study of a dysfunctional family

Overhaulin' = some fine work - Foose still loves the art

American Hot Rod = Coddington should retire - how many morons does it take to build a hot rod?
  quote
pscates2.0
Mr. Farmiga
 
Join Date: May 2004
 
2005-01-10, 11:50



I completely agree!

"American Chopper" would be 500x better if they'd toss the old man (98.4% of the reason there are arguments...he picks fights and stirs things up when there's no reason to). An ass with a walrus moustache. His nonsense just gets old, and it's all the show has become lately. Just horrible and totally unwatchable anymore.

And yes, I've sat down to TRY and watch that "American Hot Rod" show, but it just angers me and I can't get over what a trainwreck that place is! What a shopful of numbnut mental deficients he's managed to somehow hire.

That one guy, that big stupid kid who looks like he might be Vincent D'onofrio weirdo younger brother, is easily the most useless human being ever to occupy a TV screen. If I worked with him - or someone LIKE him - I'd have to strangle him, I believe. Or beat him senselss 2-3 times a week. There would be no other way.

While he's, by far, the worst of the lot, the rest ain't exactly winners either. I'll make triple sure that I never buy any car from that group, should I ever win the lottery.



And I agree on Overhaulin'. It veers into the played-up drama sometimes, but you can't deny Chip Foose's enthusiasm and talent (and he rarely seems to get cross or jerky with anyone). I love his drawings and how easygoing and cool he is about the cars and designs.

Asshead Car/Motorcycle Reality Show Figure of the Decade? Jesse "I'm a Bad Ass REBEL Because I Say It So Often" James. I hated this guy the first time I saw him, bragging about a) how he's a descendant of THE Jesse James and, therefore, can't help but be a bad ass "rule breaker" and his goes through life (oh, it's genetic? How about you're just a turd?), b) his son was in trouble AGAIN at school for "beating up the smaller, weaker kids" (what a proud dad...churn out another troublemaking waste-of-space to send out into the world, Jesse) and c)...well, he's just an idiot and, I think, a bit of a hollow poser.

Anyone talking about and playing their own "outlaw, rebel bad-assness" up that much, you know is full of it. Probably fights like a girl.



Pussy.


Last edited by pscates2.0 : 2005-01-10 at 11:57.
  quote
ohara
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ellen Feiss, née Robert
 
2005-01-10, 22:26

the name "pimp my ride" is disrespectful to women –*viacom should rename it "fix my ride"

i'm serious!
  quote
nomorewindows
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockie Mountains
 
2005-01-11, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohara
the name "pimp my ride" is disrespectful to women –*viacom should rename it "fix my ride"

i'm serious!
Never happen.

If they did that, it wouldn't sound sleazy enough. Fewer people would watch; therefore, ratings would go down. Given the true crap that is on T.V. a stupid name is the least viewers have to worry about.

Besides, do you really think the network is worried about insulting women? There are women dumb enough to be ON this show.
  quote
dfj225
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
 
2005-01-11, 12:27

I've noticed the same kind of thing but on a different show: Survivor. In that show, while the people look kind of dirty, I noticed that the women always appear to have shaved legs and underarms. I was under the impression that they weren't allowed to bring anything with them save for the clothes on their back. But then again, I'm glad that it ends up like this because I really don't want to look at a bunch of hairy women running around in bikinis.
  quote
nomorewindows
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rockie Mountains
 
2005-01-11, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfj225
I've noticed the same kind of thing but on a different show: Survivor. In that show, while the people look kind of dirty, I noticed that the women always appear to have shaved legs and underarms. I was under the impression that they weren't allowed to bring anything with them save for the clothes on their back. But then again, I'm glad that it ends up like this because I really don't want to look at a bunch of hairy women running around in bikinis.
eeeewww! I never looked at their pits! Maybe they cook up coconut shells to make a wax. That would explain no bikini line. Not that I looked there, either...
  quote
Igorot Warrior
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At Mutt Lynch's drinking Boddington's
 
2005-01-17, 20:48

That doesn't bother me that much...you sort of have to expect that some parts of the show are embellished or even made up to some degree. Real "reality" TV would be utterly boring.

At any rate....I mainly watch it to see how they pimp the rides...plus they all seem like people in need of good pick me up (now if they made up that part of the show...you know each person's story...then I would be pissed off) or at least something to help them turn their lives around....so it's all good. Plus Exhibit is f*ckin hilarious (and that is saying a lot because I usually change the channel whenever I see hip hop rappers...like Eminem....Puff Daddy....Master P....50cent and Nelly on TV....but X actually seems pretty cool).


Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
I watch Pimp my Ride a lot and I noticed how whenever xibit visits the houses of the teens and knocks on their door, they teens always open it. Not the parents, or another family member, always the owner of the car. The reactions on the people though, the way they get excited is very real and i figured no way it could be acting, i figured maybe mtv called a couple of contestants up and told them that they were nominated to get their cars pimped, if they are chosen xibit will knock on there doors on this day at this time, make sure YOU open the door that day.

sounded reasonable..

so i was watching pimp my ride yesterday and this chick opens the door and she starts jumping all surprised and stuff and thats when i notice something. while she was jumping her top was going up and i noticed something black over her pants in the back. i thought it might be her gstring but since it was tivoed i was able to pause and frame by frame check it out. turns out its the mic thingy, u know the little box the tv people carry with the mic connected to it. that just pissed me off, how fake is that show?

i already read before i think it was in FHM about how most of the stuff on the show is fake, like when they gather in the room and they go over each persons ideas for the car. that turned out was all a show and the fact is the owner of west coast works with MTV on the car ideas and the employees later act as if they came up with the idea.

sucks..

"War just in the ring...peace on Earth" - Vanderlei Silva
  quote
Igorot Warrior
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: At Mutt Lynch's drinking Boddington's
 
2005-01-17, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohara
the name "pimp my ride" is disrespectful to women –*viacom should rename it "fix my ride"

i'm serious!
What??? You can't be serious! Some people are just too "PC" -
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2019, AppleNova