new iPad refresh

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
new iPad refresh
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2017-06-05, 13:54

-9" iPad Pro becomes 10" iPad Pro
-beautiful new screens (HDR, truetone, etc)
-10X Fusionchip, 6 core CPU, 12 core GPU, 30% faster than the A9X
-USB-C charging: USB-C to lightning cable, USB-C power adapter, SD card reader and camera adapter
-64GB base model
-$649 for 10.5" and $799 for 12.9"

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2017-06-05, 14:15

With the files app this may finally push me away from my 2008 MB Unibody.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2017-06-05, 14:39

It's kind of weird that they put a bigger display with smaller bezels on the 10.5-inch iPad but left the display and bezels on the 12.9-inch iPad the same size. I would have liked to see that one get a little smaller and lighter. I worry that it's become a "low-investment" product for Apple, only getting the stuff that is already engineered for the 10.5-inch iPad that it can get "for free." It doesn't even get the rose gold color.

Other than that, good updates. The base model price jump is unfortunate, but double the storage is nice. I love the iPad + Pencil sleeves.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-05, 14:43

The iOS 11 iPad stuff is great. A lot more Mac-like, yet true to touch UI.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-05, 22:18

I'm looking forward to buying one of these shortly. Maybe next month even. I'll have to get my hands on one soon and play with it. I was looking at buying a 9.7" a little bit ago but held out. This update makes it well worth me holding out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2017-06-06, 12:37

Well it finally got me to upgrade.... After 4 years, time to put my iPad Air to pasture.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-14, 10:57

I got mine last night and am loving this iPad. I pretty much all but threw out my iPad 3 that this replaced. So much changed with this upgrade. While the OS is very familiar from the iPhone I have, my old iPad couldn't update to the current iOS.

One on top of the other, the new iPad is only a hair taller than the iPad 3. It's actually narrower.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-14, 15:27

Why did they have to make this thing have a camera bump? Now it doesn't lay flat and I need to put it in a case just so it will flat.

Speaking of cases, does Apple allow third parties to use the smart connector in this? I'm thinking about getting a keyboard case for this but not completely sold on it yet. I don't think I like the keyboard case from Apple, but I haven't played with it yet either. The looks of it make it seem far less stable than I'd like.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2017-06-14, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Why did they have to make this thing have a camera bump? Now it doesn't lay flat and I need to put it in a case just so it will flat.
Because the camera is thicker than the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Speaking of cases, does Apple allow third parties to use the smart connector in this?
Yes. One example, which Apple sells.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2017-06-14, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Because the camera is thicker than the iPad.
We get that; the question turtle's really asking is why Apple didn't use a thinner camera.

It's a good question. On an iPhone, where people are using the camera as their primary camera and virtually everyone puts their phone in a case anyway, a camera bulge is a trade-off worth making (imo). But the camera is much less a core function of the iPad. Yes, I know every wedding is seemingly required by law to have one relative holding up their iPad 2 to record the entire ceremony, but an iPad is almost nobody's primary camera. And while low-light performance in particular is incredibly important on an iPhone camera, it's hard for me to imagine people bringing an iPad along for selfies at the club.

Also, anecdotally, while virtually everyone I see with an iPhone uses a case (making the bulge a non-issue) on the iPad "going naked" (or only covering the screen) seems to be much more commonplace, and I'd wager that's even more true for people who just keep their iPad at home. Apple even sells their iPad case in two parts, one part that just covers the screen and one that covers the edge and back, because they know not everybody cares about covering the back (and accepting the added bulk that requires). So a much higher percentage of iPad Pro users will have to deal with the "bulge wobble" than iPhone users.

By Apple's calculus, the bulkier camera assembly earns its keep, but I'm not sure I'd agree. The iPad Air 2 had a perfectly serviceable camera in the same 6.1 mm thin frame, and for the types of use the iPad camera seems to get "perfectly serviceable" feels like enough.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2017-06-15, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's a good question. On an iPhone, where people are using the camera as their primary camera and virtually everyone puts their phone in a case anyway, a camera bulge is a trade-off worth making (imo). But the camera is much less a core function of the iPad. Yes, I know every wedding is seemingly required by law to have one relative holding up their iPad 2 to record the entire ceremony, but an iPad is almost nobody's primary camera. And while low-light performance in particular is incredibly important on an iPhone camera, it's hard for me to imagine people bringing an iPad along for selfies at the club.
Plus, an iPad is far more likely to be put flat on a surface, making it all the more jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Also, anecdotally, while virtually everyone I see with an iPhone uses a case (making the bulge a non-issue) on the iPad "going naked" (or only covering the screen) seems to be much more commonplace, and I'd wager that's even more true for people who just keep their iPad at home. Apple even sells their iPad case in two parts, one part that just covers the screen and one that covers the edge and back, because they know not everybody cares about covering the back (and accepting the added bulk that requires). So a much higher percentage of iPad Pro users will have to deal with the "bulge wobble" than iPhone users.

By Apple's calculus, the bulkier camera assembly earns its keep, but I'm not sure I'd agree. The iPad Air 2 had a perfectly serviceable camera in the same 6.1 mm thin frame, and for the types of use the iPad camera seems to get "perfectly serviceable" feels like enough.
The cynical answer to this is much simpler: this way, not only do they get to put a nicer camera in there, but also to upsell you on cases.

I don't think that's the case, though. I think it's quite simple — Phil likes good cameras, and feels perhaps a little too strongly that they should ship as good a camera as possible in iOS devices. (Maybe he should tell that to the MacBook team?)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-15, 04:47

I do get the case for a good camera. I use mine on my phone for document scanning now. Heck, it's better than my old flatbed scanner at this point. I can see the case for using an iPad for this with the Pencil and other such office tasking.

However, switching from my iPad 3 that the camera was actually recessed to this one is a massive difference. The iPad generally lays flat and doesn't actually wobble, but I'm not a fan of my camera lens rubbing everywhere I set it down. I'm sure not going to start setting my iPad face down.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-16, 21:55

The more I think about the more I realize my concern is about the lens. As a photography buff I can't stand the thought of what I'm doing the the lens setting it on my desk, the counter, etc. I put my phone in a clear case to keep me from doing the same to it. I know it's supposed to be starch proof or whatever but I don't buy it.

Eugene
careful with axes

2017-06-16, 23:57

I'd personally be more worried about the surfaces of my desks/tables/counters than the lens.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-17, 21:48

It isn't just the lens optics as much as the housing for it. That is metal and sticks out over the glass (whatever it actually is made of) and keeps it intact:

While I am "concerned" about my counters and desks, I don't like any part of a camera messed up.

The reality is that in the end the camera bump isn't a big deal, but something I wasn't expecting from the reveal. Maybe I missed the on-screen presentation angles that made it stand out that it protruded from the case. Either way, I notice it now.

So I had the chance to use an extra 10% off and no sales tax again today and got the Pencil for $88.10. I am actually very pleased with it so far. I've used the bubble type of styluses with my old iPad and this is so much different. I actually noticed smudges on my screen slowing down the Pencil as it moved across the surface of the iPad. I had to buff up my screen. (I have kids, that’s all I need to say.)

With solid use for about 3 hours I managed to run the battery in the Pencil down by almost 50%. There is a battery widget that shows up in your notification widget area so you can see how charged it is, just like your Watch on your iPhone. It topped off to 100% really quick too. I was really surprised actually, like under 30 minutes.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2017-06-17, 22:44

That is simply huge. Thankfully the non Pro iPad (5th Gen) still has a flush camera.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-19, 14:56

I installed iOS 11 on here and I have to say I'm overall impressed. I do notice glitchy graphics when pushing it, but overall very stable. This isn't a "production" iPad for me and is for recreation so I don't mind dealing with bugs right now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-20, 22:56

Since going to the beta I can't seem to get multitasking to work. Anyone else having that issue? I haven't bothered to read up on the known issue yet.

chucker

2017-06-21, 23:21

Not a sure what you mean. Four-finger swipe works, as does pulling up the switcher from the bottom or by double-clicking Home. Stuff like Split View depends on your hardware. On this mini 2, for instance, only Slide Over is supported. Which you now do by pulling up the Dock, then dragging an icon from there to the screen. I think — maybe this is what you mean — you now have to have your app on the Dock if you want it simultaneously used.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 08:42

Pulling up from the Dock is what I was missing. I forgot how it changed and never stopped to look it up. I'm assuming they talked about it in the keynote and I just forgot. Thanks!

chucker

2017-06-22, 13:52

Yeah. I'm not sure this is sufficiently intuitive (granted, it's a power user-only feature). I'm also not sure the (presumed?) limitation of Dock apps only is that great. OTOH, you'll typically always use it with the same small set of apps, so maybe this is no big deal at all.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 13:58

I can only think of a few that I'll use it with. Mostly Notes on the right and a few different ones on the left.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-06-22, 16:00

Apple Pencil is annoying in some really big ways.

* If you don't use it all the time, you have to plug it into the iPad to connect it again.
* Hit or miss on if you have to plug it in to sync or not on shorter times.
* Workflow (not the app) is disrupted because it doesn't just work.

When I pick up the Pencil/Stylus I just expect it to work. Having to plug it into the iPad is annoying, especially when I'm expecting it to open a note or something. I normally end up having to shift my grip on the iPad and Pencil just to accommodate the button and such to make it sync. Once it is synced and connected all is good. The Pencil responds great with this iPad. If anything it's a little too sensitive. I mean to tap but move the tip around enough that it doesn't register the tap.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-10, 00:05

What ever you do, don't drop your iPad Pro on the steps of a church at night while playing Pokemon Go for your son's account.

I broke the screen and now the only option is $449 (+tax) device swap. They don't repair it, just swap with a refurb. Fine...

But that is just so expensive.

Of course I'm going to pay it. When is the question. How long can I hold out now that holiday buying season just unleashed a ton of new deals...

I pout.

chucker

2017-11-10, 03:24

Oh yikes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-10, 14:23

Yeah. Really bad timing. Not that it's ever good to pay more than half what you originally paid to have something fixed. At least I'll have a backup I can restore from. Except those games and stuff that tie themselves to the device and not the Game Center account.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2017-11-15, 19:46

I feel your pain man.

Had my 12.9 inch 128Gb for less than a week when it slipped off the side of the bed onto the tiled floor... and cracked the screen straight across. 💸 In spite of the Logitech Slim Combo ‘Armour’.

But wait.... AppleCare to the rescue 🛠!!

It was replaced with only a token fee (under £100 as i recall) . Apparently you get 2 such rescues with AppleCare. ⭐️🏆

And yes, I now have lined the area next to the bed with foam over the tiled floor to protect it from future suicide attempts, LOL.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-11-15, 19:57

I'm glad the AppleCare was able to help you out with that. I just have a hard time paying for it when I hardly ever need it. I've only broken two portable devices; my iPhone 6s and now this. I've owned almost every iPhone made and most iPads too. Oh well.

I was looking at the etching in the glass, now that I can see more than just the glaring cracks through the screen, and see where the screen hit in multiple places. It only cracked from one point but there are about five clear points of contact on the glass.