AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Some jerk slashed my dad's BMW's tire

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Some jerk slashed my dad's BMW's tire
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 20:25

My dad called and he said someone slashed one of his BMW's tires. Now we are have to spend what, $500-$900 to get the tire replaced since BMW tires are expensive as hell. I hope though it was just a random thing and not a person who has something against my dad. What is weird though is thatthe jerk only slashed one tire. Why not all 4? More details when dad gets home.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2005-10-21 at 20:33.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-10-21, 20:41

I never used a BMW tire, but I am sure there are plenty of other tire manufacturers that support your car. I have a pair of great tires on my Porsche and they cost $130 each. (Z-rated normally $240) You just have to find a good pice for what you want. People usually take the store price without question so that tends to drive up the price.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-21, 20:51

$500–$900?!

What Ebby said. They come in a relatively small number of standard widths and profiles, you know.
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 20:56

I don't know the real cost. That is what I am guessing the range is.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-21, 21:00

Sorry to hear about your Dad's tire - that sucks. Your estimate does sound pretty high, even for dealer parts and service prices.

As soon as you are talking about money out of your own pocket, rather than money out of your Dad's pocket, I'm sure you'll get better at guessing the cost of things.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-21, 21:11

If it's $500-$900 PER TIRE. That's ridiculous and then anyone is fools that would pay that.

I want my tires replaced for winter, and I think my tires are $400-$500 for all four. Now my SUV has small tires (for SUV's) but still. What kind of BMW is it?
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
If it's $500-$900 PER TIRE. That's ridiculous and then anyone is fools that would pay that.

I want my tires replaced for winter, and I think my tires are $400-$500 for all four. Now my SUV has small tires (for SUV's) but still. What kind of BMW is it?
It is the 330xi.
ast3r3x

2005-10-21, 21:15

I can't see it costing that much then. Besides, he should be sporting an M5 or 7 series.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-21, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
It is the 330xi.
You're getting ripped off.

A quick online search finds tires for that car about $150.
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
You're getting ripped off.

A quick online search finds tires for that car about $150.
The prices aren't from the dealer. Just my guess. Considering my local BMW dealer is expensive.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-21, 23:03

Ah, I must have missed that somehow and jumped on the bandwagon. At least now you (well, your dad) will know what sort of price to look for!
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 23:17

Well my Dad is as confused as I am as why all 4 tires weren't slashed and only the one. The BMW needed new tires anyway. There were 50,000 mile tires and the BMW is at 60,000+. Talking about tires, never take a BMW over a pothole. He bent the rim so much and had it repaired, the only way to ever fix it again is to buy a new rim.

giggity
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-10-21, 23:30

Quote:
There were 50,000 mile tires and the BMW is at 60,000+
There's a distance rating for tires? I thought everybody just checked how much tread was actually left, and decided accordingly… my 121 had the same four Michelins on it for almost 5 years and 200,000 kilometres before they became unroadworthy.
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-21, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
There's a distance rating for tires? I thought everybody just checked how much tread was actually left, and decided accordingly… my 121 had the same four Michelins on it for almost 5 years and 200,000 kilometres before they became unroadworthy.
Well thats is the recommended mileage to get them replaced. Sure the current tires might be in an acceptable wear where there still useable. I really don't know really.

giggity
L'Angelo Misterioso

2005-10-22, 02:39

Quote:
Well thats is the recommended mileage to get them replaced. Sure the current tires might be in an acceptable wear where there still useable. I really don't know really.
geez, you eat up everything car dealers and manufacturers tell you huh
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-10-22, 04:25

i have a 330ci and the most expensive tires on my car (17inch rims) cost me $210 and they were the high end michelins. After a couple of flats I started using a lesser known german brand and i now pay around $130 per tire.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-22, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
i have a 330ci and the most expensive tires on my car (17inch rims) cost me $210 and they were the high end michelins. After a couple of flats I started using a lesser known german brand and i now pay around $130 per tire.

Ahh. I see. So my esitmate was way off. My esitmate was really for all 4 tires would cost me. Thanks for telling me that. Your prices should be around the same then.

EDIT: WOOT! 1,000 post.

giggity
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 12:56

Quote:
Ahh. I see. So my esitmate was way off. My esitmate was really for all 4 tires would cost me. Thanks for telling me that. Your prices should be around the same then.

EDIT: WOOT! 1,000 post.
What a waste of a 1,000th post.

Edit: w00t!1! 2,885th post!

By the way, you mispelled w00t!1! It's "w00t!1!" not "WOOT!"

When will you learn? 1337 Speak Info

1337 Speak Generator

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 13:04

Man, your Dad should sue BMW for not providing slash-proof tires. I mean really, those are critical to the use of the car! Or at least demand they replace them for free... as a consumer, he should demand quality.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 13:11

Absolutely. I'm sure there's some scratches on the doors. Maybe someone ran a shopping cart into it or something like that. Friggin BMW...they should build better stuff, scratch proof paint and the like.

<scampers off to start an online petition>

Note:
Quag. I'm not making fun of you because I know you're personally against the Nano lawsuit...I'm just having some fun.

Come waste your time with me
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 13:18

This isn't even very far offtopic..

This new-fangled thing where they put in some kind of run-flat tyres, a kit to quick fix punctures and a mini compressor instead of a spare wheel. Do any of your cars have that? Have you had to fix a tyre on the road? What's the motivation behind the new setup?

To me it just seems so much simpler to have a spare wheel and jack. Run-flat tyres, why not, after all you can lose several tyres especially at once if you run into something on the road. It's the patching kit and compressor I don't "get".
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-22, 14:00

My RX8 came with that. no spare. in my case, i think they did it because there wasn't really room in the trunk for the spare.

i think the other motivation is cost.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-10-22, 14:47

If your looking for a reason why someone might have slashed your tire, it's probably because you're one of those people who runs around referring to "my BMW" rather than "my car". Elitism, learn it early, practise it often...

That, and whoever did it was probably bored

Amadeus

2005-10-22, 16:44

That is just terrible undertaker. Sorry to hear that undertaker. Chances are it was just random

My wife is a visiting nurse and someone dented the side of her car while at a patients house.
flounder

2005-10-22, 16:57

As for the why one and not all four question, the answer is simple.

One slashed tire makes your car just as immobile as four! And remember, the perpetrator is doing something quite illegal, so it's best to spend as little time at the scene as possible. Slash one and go, probably no one notices. Go around and slash all four, and you're far more likely to get spotted.

Also, some people (although I didn't read closely) mentioned run flat tires. If your tire has been knifed through the side-wall, that tire is completely and utterly done, run flat or not.

As a person who has had a tire slashed, it's also possible they thought your dad's car belonged to someone else. That's what happened to me when my tire got slashed.

A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts - Ani DiFranco
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-10-23, 01:42

i watched an episode of the show 5th Gear were they were demonstrating runflat tires. They drilled a hole through the side-wall and nothing happened.
flounder

2005-10-23, 08:27

Really? Craziness. You learn something new every day!
ast3r3x

2005-10-23, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu
If your looking for a reason why someone might have slashed your tire, it's probably because you're one of those people who runs around referring to "my BMW" rather than "my car". Elitism, learn it early, practise it often...

That, and whoever did it was probably bored
Or annoyed about hearing "my BMW"

Convince him to get a M5, or 7 series...or a 6 series. Then you can brag a bit...and you could get those south african theft deterrents that shoot a fireball along side of the car!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-10-23, 09:34

Well, if your old man gets 50,000 miles out of the tyres on a BMW 330, he clearly doesn't deserve the car. A 3-series with a nice engine is the best driving machine BMW makes, and should not have to endure a life of cruising on motorways!!!

Nowhere is the motto "you get what you pay for" truer than in car tyres. Tyres are fiendishly difficult to design and require huge research budgets to get right. Look at the situation in Formula 1, where Michelin-shod teams dominated this year no matter what the Bridgestone teams (including Ferrari) did. Michelin has the better tyre: end of race. The entire season was reduced to a tyre championship (one of the reasons many people want to see an end to tyre competition in F1). Likewise, the tyres you put on a road car determine cornering and braking performance more than any other component. It's extremely foolish to "save" money by getting cheap tyres.

PS. $150 = very cheap. Judging by the stuck-up attitude of his son, your dad can probably afford decent tyres.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2005-10-23, 09:50

Just to be straight about it. There is nothing wrong with buying and driving BMWs, even the latest Chris Bangle ones, just with refering to them as "my BMW" this is nearly as bad as saying, "my beemer" or "my [insert any make here]". The only people who can get away with this own some form of insufferably cute/trendy vehicle, and are chicks. So, your girlfriend may say, "my miata", "my mini', "my beetle", you get the idea. The only other people who may refer to their personal conveyance by brand name are filthy rich, and when doing so, they should use the definitive article, like Higgins in Magnum PI, "the Ferrari" or Q in Bond, "the Aston". Bond even drove a BMW twice, but never called it 'my' BMW -- either "the BMW" or "my car". Same goes for Magnum and "the Ferrari". Even Batman never talks about 'my' Batmobile, and who else's could it be?

There remains one other exception to this rule, and it happens when the vehicle in question has a certain iconic quality that defines a class of vehicle not generally called a car. 'My jeep', or 'my landrover' will be perfectly acceptable (variously) in parts of the US or Great Britain in the same way that your old secretary never hands you a copy of something, but rather a zerox. 'Mia Vespa' springs to mind as well, but only in parts of Europe. 'My Lambretta' OTOH, only identifies you as a nut, though the explanation takes more space than we have for this short course in linguo-automotive ettiquette.

You're lucky you got off with one slashed tire...