Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

God Finder sucks ass, it VANISHED!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
God Finder sucks ass, it VANISHED!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 22:47

OK, Finder just fux0red up on me. I relaunched it, and it came back with a beachball, so I relaunched it again.

Well, it quit, but it didn't come back! The Finder icon has the arrow on it showing it's running, but my desktop icons and finder are totally vanished.

I really can't reboot right now, is there any way to ge the thing to come up again?

Finder truly sucks. I was to get my hands on the programmers responsible for it and...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-12, 22:56

what happens when you force quit finder? Nothing?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 22:58

Absolutely nothing now. my desktop is blank, no hard drive icon even. I clicked the finder icon in the Dock and it did nothing as well.

I'm afraid to reboot because if I reboot and Finder doesn't come up, that would really suck.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-12, 22:58

To reboot or not to reboot? That is the question.
The first then I would do is shut down, boot in target disk mode, and backup. then if Finder truly is MIA, you still have your docs.

EDIT: Ha! We were typing at the same time.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-12, 22:59

So when you do the Apple-option-esc combo does it say finder isn't responding? or does it think Finder is fine?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 23:00

Thats the problem, I don't have any backup method other than burning data CDs or DVDs. And without Finder...

It thinks Finder is fine, but it doesn't do anything.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-12, 23:01

I'm trying to remember, when Finder is dead do you still get the blue apple in the upper left corner?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 23:02

Yeah, I have the Apple menu. I wonder if that security update screwed something up in Finder, things have been a little beachball-y since I ran it last night.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2006-05-12, 23:04

Ooh, excellent.

Go to system preferences, make a new user with admin rights, enable fast user switching, and see if you can access the files from your other, new account.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-12, 23:05

This one isn't necessarily the Finder's fault. I believe loginwindow is responsible for relaunching Finder and Dock. Keep that in mind when you log your complaint.

For what it's worth, I've seen this happen before too. A logout/login fixes it right up.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-12, 23:08

I hit Authenticate to make a new user account and it beachballed and locked up, I just had to FQ System Prefs.

Looks like loginwindow is indeed mucked...

Trying a logout now... lets hope this works.

Edit: Logout stalled out so I did a hard shutdown and boot, and Finder came up properly! I hope it doesn't do it again, that was really quite annoying.

Last edited by PKIDelirium : 2006-05-12 at 23:21.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-05-12, 23:22

I had a little scare the other day after I updated too. Finder crashed and along with it every application one by one. I managed to repair permissions, delete caches and restart. Things were still buggy so I restarted again and they run smooth now.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-13, 08:51

Sounds like you're victim of a zombie process. As Brad says, that isn't necessarily Finder's fault; I've had this happen with iTunes various times (turned out to be an iPod communication problem). iTunes would hang, and force-quitting iTunes would make it impossible to relaunch it. (Even after kill -9.)