User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

A little tip for people using Invisible Shields or other clear skins

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A little tip for people using Invisible Shields or other clear skins
admactanium

2008-07-15, 16:53

I put an Invisible Shield or BestSkinEver on most of my devices to keep them from getting scratched. One of the things that always bothered me about them is that around some corners they can get little points where the material doesn't stick down and it creates a very small sharp little fold. On my 3G iPhone it was driving me nuts after only a couple days because it's right where you end up touching it constantly. You can keep trying to press those corners down but eventually they lose their adhesion. Today I tried to warm up a little burnishing tool with a lighter to see if I gently melt it back down. But that didn't work.

The best thing I figured out to do with those tiny corners if they're on a curved surface is to cut them off with nail clippers. I just did this to my Invisible Shield on my 3G iPhone and now the corners are nice and smooth.

Weird post, I know, but thought I'd share it for anyone who's putting a clear cover on their phone.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-15, 16:55

Damn, you already got your 3G Invisible Shield? They said mine wasn't shipping til like the 25th.
admactanium

2008-07-15, 17:03

I got it on Saturday. I pre-ordered really early - basically when they sent out the e-mail. They did send me an e-mail also on Saturday that they were vastly overloaded with orders for 3G iPhone shields and that they were delayed. I guess I ordered early enough to be in the first batch. I'll warn you though, in my opinion the die-cut for the Invisible Shield isn't perfect. It seems like you'd have to stretch it a lot to line up all the holes and cover the chrome bezel. I didn't bother trying to cover the whole thing because the one-piece back is way too fidgety and has too many thin areas to stretch it that much.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-07-22, 12:05

I got mine yesterday. I like the feel they give the phone. Gives them more grip. I don't like the fact that it's tough to get on and any sort of peel back that you have to do, you see it.

Also, it's tough not getting any finger prints on it and they show through quite well.

I'd say I like the product, but wouldn't buy it again for the price.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
admactanium

2008-07-22, 13:32

The one thing about the InvisibleShield specifically is they have a lifetime warranty. So if yours gets too grungy or starts to peel off you can order a new one. In fact, I ordered a new one for my original iPhone that I need to put on before it goes to the wife. Otherwise I would just buy the cheaper alternatives.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-07-22, 15:03

Any idea if something like this would hide an existing scratch? I've got about a 3/4 in scratch right in the middle of my iPhone screen that drives me nuts. I thought about trying to buff it out a bit, but if I could just cover it and hide it that way, it would probably be best.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
admactanium

2008-07-22, 15:45

I'm not sure it would hide it very much. It might accentuate if it the scratch is deep. I'm pretty sure you couldn't buff a scratch out of an iPhone screen since it's made of glass.