User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Leaving in just one week!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Leaving in just one week!
holbox

2005-05-29, 14:09

Thought you might like to see what your Social Security $$ are being spent on.

http://tinypic.com/5fn1b4

The Airstream & our pussy cat are almost packed and ready to go for the summer. We'll be back in late August or Mid-September as the mood strikes us. Been retired for 7 years now, live in Florida and still travel all summer. Found this spot along side of a wilderness lake on the Ontario - Manatoba border. So remote and pure you drink the lake water. We have a 17' Lund fishing boat with a 15 HP 4 stroke motor that's in storage.

Will spend the summer fishing for walleye, lake trout and Northern Pike.
Watching otters, eagles, deer, moose & bear. Drive into town once a week for supplies and laundry. Got a stack of books saved that need reading.

Too far north for TV, but we do have electric and a VCR. We were there on 9/11 and didn't hear about the mess till a couple days later.

So, I'll be off line after June 6th.

Retirement is pure hell, but someone has to do it ......
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-29, 14:14

I'm using my 300th post to bid thee a fond farewell. Any chance you'd be getting satellite intraweb service? It's around $110/month, but it's quite reliable.

Or are you trying to get away from all that...

You ask me for a hamburger.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-29, 14:19

That sounds like a great idea - I hope you and your wife have a great Summer .
pv2b

2005-05-29, 14:34

This is precisely what shortwave radio is for -- getting your news and whatever out in the middle of nowhere, though I may be missing the point.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-29, 15:00

Wow, I envy you, holbox! Have a great trip! And as for June 6th: I doubt that WWDC will be quite as earth-shattering as 9/11 ...
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-05-29, 15:24

Lucky bastard. Have a good time, and don't get too stressed out fishing all day!
holbox

2005-05-29, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
I'm using my 300th post to bid thee a fond farewell. Any chance you'd be getting satellite intraweb service? It's around $110/month, but it's quite reliable.

Or are you trying to get away from all that...
You got it Son!

It takes about two weeks to get off the merry-go-round the world puts us on. And then ...... you realize that all the "news" means nothing.

If the wind is blowing from the right direction to drift you across the weedy bay that's full of Northern Pike or the Small Mouth Bass are chasing crawfish at Berry Creek Falls. Or what favorite book needs a re-read.
Or should you take a tin of sardines with you and stay out over lunch.
Or do you have enough gas in case you get stuck in the bush.

These are momentous enough decisions for any day!

Take a few weeks now and again - leave the daily world of men - go to nature - wallow in it and allow yourself to be immersed in just living for that day. Don't try to cram a month of events into two weeks.

The rewards will be worth the effort!

spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2005-05-29, 17:44

You're living my dream.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-29, 19:11

Airstreams have something other modern RVs don't have and will never have IMO. Class. Those things are just so classy when done up right and maintained with some TLC. One day... one day.

...into the light of a dark black night.
holbox

2005-05-29, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Airstreams have something other modern RVs don't have and will never have IMO. Class. Those things are just so classy when done up right and maintained with some TLC. One day... one day.

We bought our 2000 28' Airstream new in 1999.

Have gone to Alaska, the Maritimes, Newfoundland, and Canadian Northwoods three times. Spent all summer in it since we got it.

Never owned an RV before.

All we can say after the countless hours and miles towing (we put 17,128 miles on it to Alaska) is that it's even better than we had hoped for.

They are a luxury two person Pullman Car. But, they are really a two person rig. Kids wouldn't fit in very well.

Mine will be For Sale in another 40 years ........... maybe!
holbox

2005-05-29, 19:40

Forgot one thing .........

Yes, Airstreams got class. So do Harleys & Mac Computers. They do go together in a way.

A little off the beaten path. Marching to a different drummer!!!!
Amadeus

2005-05-29, 20:34

I wish you a great Summer in your RV traveling up North. I imagine that you are like my father-in-law, retired physician as Medical Director at a steel corporation. It's not the SS, but savings and a large pension that allows the freedom to travel during retirement. Your must be very anxious with only a week left till your trip. Although you will be missing WWDC.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-29, 22:38

The only thing I'm afraid to ask: how frequently do you have to refill the ole gas tank on your truck / SUV when towing that sucker?
holbox

2005-05-29, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
I wish you a great Summer in your RV traveling up North. I imagine that you are like my father-in-law, retired physician as Medical Director at a steel corporation. It's not the SS, but savings and a large pension that allows the freedom to travel during retirement. Your must be very anxious with only a week left till your trip. Although you will be missing WWDC.

No ...... actually it is the SS that allows us to travel.

I have NO pension and had very little savings.

But, I sold my business that I had built up over 30+ years, downsized a bigger house we built to a nice (we actually like it better) factory built house in a retirement park in Florida and have a 100 acre plot of farmland in Ohio we cash rent.

Could live fine on what I ended up with, but the SS is the cream that gives us the freedom to do what the hell we want to.

If you've had a nice income thru your working years SS is a pretty good chunk of cash. The Medicare Plan is a damn good health insurance too.

It's popular to knock SS & Medicare, but don't be a fool. Insist that the politicians keep it going. It's a safety net that you can squeak by on if you have to and a damn fine deal if you've got a little something extra.

We're locked in, but you younger guys can loose it if you don't keep their feet to the fire. If the politicians & government workers were on the SS system instead of the gold train they are on, you'd see how fast it would turn healthy again.

Insist..........
holbox

2005-05-29, 22:57

Quote:
The only thing I'm afraid to ask: how frequently do you have to refill the ole gas tank on your truck / SUV when towing that sucker?
Got a V10 cyl. under the hood of a Super Duty Ford. I get 12 MPG towing.
holbox

2005-05-29, 23:01

Here's the rig .....

http://tinypic.com/5frtkx
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-05-30, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
Here's the rig .....

http://tinypic.com/5frtkx
Definitely cool . I have a friend who was thinking of importing these into the UK. Wanted to buy them in the US and sell them in UK where they have very cool reputation - only problem was they are so big you need a special UK licence because they are so much bigger than normal UK caravans.

Last edited by Franz Josef : 2005-05-30 at 09:49.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-30, 09:13

12mpg? That's actually not bad, relatively speaking. Many trucks and SUVs barely get that just by themselves, at least not in urban driving conditions. What is it like a 30 gallon tank?

...into the light of a dark black night.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-05-30, 10:21

That'll be some quality fishing up there. If you want to catch the big bass, use some worms to catch small perch then throw a hook through the perch, put a bobber on the line and sit back and relax as the bass fight over the poor bugger.

(Perch are feeder fish and it is legal to use them as bait, using baby ducks to catch musky is not. )

And remeber, no bass fishing in Ontario until the third weekend in June!

You're just in time for black fly season, enjoy!
holbox

2005-05-30, 11:39

Quote:
12mpg? That's actually not bad, relatively speaking. Many trucks and SUVs barely get that just by themselves, at least not in urban driving conditions. What is it like a 30 gallon tank?
30 Gallon ???

Try 42 Gallon.

I was low on gas last year and at a backwoods station in Canada. It hit
$122 Canadian. That's one that catches your attention.

The big Ford V10 really isn't too bad on gas tho. I seldom get less than
14 MPG not towing and only a couple less towing. It's got so much power
that it really doesn't strain pulling the Airstream and has a lot of back pressure going down hill, which makes it ideal for traveling.

I get the same MPG towing that a diesel does, but less when not towing.
Almost $5,000 less to buy though and that'll pay for a lot of fuel. Besides
I hate the sound of a diesel.
holbox

2005-05-30, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
That'll be some quality fishing up there. If you want to catch the big bass, use some worms to catch small perch then throw a hook through the perch, put a bobber on the line and sit back and relax as the bass fight over the poor bugger.
!
That trick is a dandy for Northern Pike too. Have done it many times.

Usually though, I'm too lazy for that much effort and just work the weedy bays with a Daredevil for Pike and fish a rapids below a falls in the evenings for the Small Mouth.

At just before dusk the Smallmouth come up and will hit a small minnow crankbait fished on the surface so hard you'll get splashed with water.

We also use big surface plugs over deep weed beds for Pike. When they're in the right mood you can have a circus!
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-05-30, 15:15

Um, dude, even if you think things like that, it's better to keep them to yourself.

Consider this a pre-emptive strike against thread-derailing 9/11 hate posts, guys. I can just smell them being typed up.

Keep the flaming to PMs today, ok?

Cheers.

BTW, nice unit you have there. Just slightly bigger than the tent trailer I bought a couple weeks ago:

An 8' tent trailer. I'm operating on a slightly smaller budget, apparently.

Still fun though, it's a compromise between my "tenting it" and my wife's "make sure the hotel has a pool" idea of camping. First long trip last week was fun, but the tire blowout merging back on to the highway definitely wasn't the highlight. It's cool how sideways you can get one of those things without it flipping your van over!
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-05-30, 15:22

Flames... mmm... fire.... mmm. bbq?

Were you saying something mur?
Amadeus

2005-05-30, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
No ...... actually it is the SS that allows us to travel.

I have NO pension and had very little savings.

But, I sold my business that I had built up over 30+ years, downsized a bigger house we built to a nice (we actually like it better) factory built house in a retirement park in Florida and have a 100 acre plot of farmland in Ohio we cash rent.

Could live fine on what I ended up with, but the SS is the cream that gives us the freedom to do what the hell we want to.

If you've had a nice income thru your working years SS is a pretty good chunk of cash. The Medicare Plan is a damn good health insurance too.

It's popular to knock SS & Medicare, but don't be a fool. Insist that the politicians keep it going. It's a safety net that you can squeak by on if you have to and a damn fine deal if you've got a little something extra.

We're locked in, but you younger guys can loose it if you don't keep their feet to the fire. If the politicians & government workers were on the SS system instead of the gold train they are on, you'd see how fast it would turn healthy again.

Insist..........
What kind of business did you have?

When you mentioned the land in Ohio. Are you from Ohio? I'm a native Buckeye, both my wife and I.

I worked for the government and receive retirement pay. I'm over 55 so I'm in the age group that won't be affected. Will be eligible for Medicare and SS.

SS does need fixing, the numbers just don't add up for the future. Sadly it looks like they are going to wait because they don't like Bush.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-30, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Um, dude, even if you think things like that, it's better to keep them to yourself.
You're right... I was out of line. Time to edit. I didn't mean anything against 9/11; I was trying to make some Stevenote humor. Nevertheless, I must remember that real people read these posts...

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-05-30 at 20:24.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-05-30, 22:51

All you lucky camping bastards. I'll be fortunate to get a summer vacation in '06.
Amadeus

2005-05-31, 20:03

Quote:
All you lucky camping bastards. I'll be fortunate to get a summer vacation in '06.
What about a vacation in 2005?