User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

macbooks widespread problems?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
macbooks widespread problems?
krnholeboy32

2006-08-17, 17:54

I really want one of those macbooks and thinking about selling my 17"mbp to save the extra $1000 in cash since I dont game much and I can lug it around campus. But I've been reading and hearing about macbooks randomly shutting off being the biggest problem and the whine, vertical line problems on the monitor and other minor problems. My question is that its been 3 months since the macbooks have been out and if I were to buy one today August 17th would I experience the random shutdowns or any other problems. I'm just wondering if apple has fixed this problem or not? Has anyone here bought a macbook recently and used it for about a week or longer and is fine?? Because if there is a big chance for me to have to send the macbook so many times in for repair, I rather have my non problem perfect 17" than the problematic macbook, even if the 17" is heavy for me to lug around all over campus..
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-08-17, 18:09

If you are really worried then wait for Rev. B.
neiltc13

2006-08-17, 18:10

I've never had a single shut off and I've not noticed anything wrong with the display and have never heard it whine. Apple today released an update that fixes the only problem I've had with my MacBook - poor fan operation and it's now pretty much a perfect computer.

If you did sell your MacBook Pro after only a few months of owning it, you'd effectively be burning a lot of money.

Was going to University a recent choice? If not, then it's kinda your own fault that you bought such a big, heavy laptop.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-17, 18:20

The MacBook I have access to has had no problems.

The thing you have to remember about people describing their "widespread problems" is that its a very self-selecting group. A cross section of MacBook owners would yield few with problems. Nobody is going to deny that Rev. A machines are more problem prone than other machines (my Rev. A 12" PB had a hardrive, motherboard, and speaker break all within 8 months. Applecare repaired it for me, I sold it, and then put the money towards a new 15" PB which I still have) but its not like they have catastrophic failure rates.

If something goes wrong, Apple will of course repair it for free within 90 days. If you buy AppleCare (which you should regardless of Rev. A status) you will be fine for three years.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-17, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
If something goes wrong, Apple will of course repair it for free within 90 days. If you buy AppleCare (which you should regardless of Rev. A status) you will be fine for three years.
Not 90 days. The default warranty is for one year.

It's the free telephone support that cuts off after 90 days. So, if you take it to an Apple Store, an authorized third-party servicer, or contact Apple via e-mail, the repair should still be entirely free.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-17, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Not 90 days. The default warranty is for one year.

It's the free telephone support that cuts off after 90 days. So, if you take it to an Apple Store, an authorized third-party servicer, or contact Apple via e-mail, the repair should still be entirely free.
Whoops. Gotta get my facts right.

But yea, you get the point. Apple isn't going to leave you high-and-dry if you a bum MacBook.
krnholeboy32

2006-08-17, 19:10

Thanks for the advice and no I havnt sold my 17" yet i still have it with me and working perfectly. And I knew about the 1 year warranty already but the real deal is that I dont want to even send it in one time for the random shutting off problem even in the first place. I guess its a few hundred problems out of thousands of units so maybe it is safe to buy one? Also how do you guys like the macbook compared to the macbook pro's, at first I didnt like the glossy screen but then I took a look at it at my local apple store and it looks perfect for me since i'm not a professional photographer or a graphics designer.
neiltc13

2006-08-17, 19:36

This thread stinks of self justification. You like the look of the MacBook but just need people to say "yes" until you're tipped over the edge and type your credit card number in to the Apple Store.

Quite frankly, you aren't going to get a more powerful Apple notebook than the MacBook Pro. You'd also be struggling to find a notebook from other manufacturers that beats it too. While I'd never choose a machine with that large a display, it still is a brilliant machine.

You don't want the hassle of sending a MacBook for a free repair but you're willing to seek out a buyer for your MacBook Pro, pay for the shipping costs and deliver it to them, then take care of the worries they might have? That just doesn't make sense.

If you're REALLY needing a unit to take around campus, may I suggest that you get a used or refurbished 12" iBook instead? After all, you'd then not have to take the price hit of selling a nearly-new machine and you'd keep all that great MacBook Pro power. You've already said that your work on the go doesn't pressure your MBP so what's wrong with stepping back a little further?
krnholeboy32

2006-08-17, 20:18

with student discount the mbp 17" cost me roughly 2813 with tax and I was thinking of selling the mbp 17" for about 2500 or 2600 so I will be losing 200 or 300 in the deal and just snag a 13" mbp so I have power and portability and save basically an extra $1000 but then loosing $300 in the deal. Also yea it takes time for me to ship it but there is no time for me to wait for it, if you know what i'm saying. Because once its shipped then its the buyer to wait and I dont need to wait for anything, also I want one machine that I can carry around and use as the main computer which would be the "macbook" and if I wanted bigger screen space I can always buy a bigger monitor and just connect it at home.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-17, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos
The thing you have to remember about people describing their "widespread problems" is that its a very self-selecting group.
Exactly. Nobody is going to start a thread on a message board because their MBP works perfectly.

I don't get why WLP said to "wait for Rev. B." Didn't Rev. B come out in May, alongside the MB?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Uyek

2006-08-18, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend
If you are really worried then wait for Rev. B.
When does Revision "B" occur?
Thanks.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-08-18, 13:27

Nobody knows. "Rev B" just means the next major upgrade to the line.

I believe that that World Leader Pretend really meant to say was, "If you are really worried, then wait until the end of time." There will always be disparate problems and the occasional lemon. When producing hundreds of thousands of units, you can't guarantee absolute perfection on them all. The next update may fix one issue but may introduce another.

Of course, many users have no problems at all.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Uyek

2006-08-18, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Nobody knows. "Rev B" just means the next major upgrade to the line.

I believe that that World Leader Pretend really meant to say was, "If you are really worried, then wait until the end of time." There will always be disparate problems and the occasional lemon. When producing hundreds of thousands of units, you can't guarantee absolute perfection on them all. The next update may fix one issue but may introduce another.

Of course, many users have no problems at all.
I had to laugh out loud when I read your post: "end of time."
Well, that settles any reservations I may have had about buying a MB sooner rather than later.
Thanks for putting things in context and providing some good commonsense.
krnholeboy32

2006-08-18, 20:09

well this is a major problem and the whole ability for the machine to even function or turn on at all. If it were other minor problems I would overlook it such as the whine (well do to the processor itself just makes that noise my brothers dell and acer does too), dead pixel or over heating or maybe other kinds of defects such as past rev of the pismo's or lambards or g4 machines and I would just have went ahead and purchased it but then this rev. is having random shutoff that's just not a minor defect its a major one.

But thanks guys for helping me with my decision, I am going to officially wait until the meroms are in the macbook or when apple admits to their random shutoff problems on the macbooks and make sure when I purchase it, it has been fixed. p.s. I know personally about 8 people that purchased the macbooks and 5 of them had to return it more than twice and 3 of them returned it once *so far*.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-08-18, 23:24

Quote:
I know personally about 8 people that purchased the macbooks and 5 of them had to return it more than twice and 3 of them returned it once *so far*.
I think you'll be fine purchasing one of the current models - so long as you don't allow any of these 8 people to touch it - ever.