AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

iMac G5 Price Drop?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac G5 Price Drop?
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2004-10-29, 07:32

Not sure how long the new iMac's have been out, a few months I think. But when do you all think there would be a price drop? I don't wana get screwed like I did with my iPod. I got the 3G 20GB model then two weeks later they dropped the prices $100.

I'm looking to get a new iMac but wana make sure I don't get screwed. So if I have to wait a few months or so I will.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-10-29, 08:00

The G5 iMacs came out in September, there were announced on August 31st. Definitely nowhere near 'a few months'. I don't think a price change is anywhere near imminent and probably won't happen until the next revision at the earliest.

Apple doesn't really mess with their prices too much unless they are debuting new models.
trailmaster308

2004-10-29, 08:24

Agreed. Don't hold your breath for a price drop anytime soon.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-29, 08:40

About the only time in recent history I can recall a mid-cycle price change was an INCREASE in March 2002 when the iMac G4 was bumped UP $100 from $1799 to $1899 (exactly one day AFTER I bought mine...whew!).

But I truly believe any sort of price drop would accompany a Rev. B release, which most likely won't occur until spring or early summer 2005. These things just came out, for crying out loud, and they're still not even fully ramped up and readily available everywhere! Order one online and wait for 2-4 weeks, OR go to your local reseller and it'll be a dice roll as to whether there are any in stock and ready for on-the-spot purchase.

They're not going to monkey with price (or specs) until they're well into the channels and saturated, if history is any indication. And if then, it won't happen until a Rev. B update.

I really think you're safe. So safe, in fact, that if you do buy the iMac and it gets a price drop within three months, I'll write you a check for the amount of the drop. How's THAT for confidence in my position?
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2004-10-30, 07:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I really think you're safe. So safe, in fact, that if you do buy the iMac and it gets a price drop within three months, I'll write you a check for the amount of the drop. How's THAT for confidence in my position?

What would a Rev. B entail? I don't care about RAM or HD space since I already plan to upgrade that myself anyways. I guess the only thing I'm worried about Apple changing would be bigger screen size and CPU speed and maybe a major update to Panther or a better bundled software package. But if they have no plans for a G6 chip then I guess I should be safe.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2004-10-30, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua

What would a Rev. B entail? I don't care about RAM or HD space since I already plan to upgrade that myself anyways. I guess the only thing I'm worried about Apple changing would be bigger screen size and CPU speed and maybe a major update to Panther or a better bundled software package. But if they have no plans for a G6 chip then I guess I should be safe.
I wouldn't imagine a bigger bump than to 2 GHz speedwise. I highly doubt a larger screen, since that would mean 23", and I don't think they can market a consumer level computer at $2499 (assuming difference between display to iMac is $500, as evidenced by 20" iMac).