Your favorite ice cream flavors and your favorite desserts
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-22, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff, with the notable exception of chocolate, which I sometimes crave like a pregnant woman. However my girlfriend loves Häagen-Dazs ice cream, and the last time I was in Paris we found ourselves acting out one of those romantic vignettes for which the city is so famous. We were walking down the street when she fell under an irresistible urge to have some Häagen-Dazs, so we popped into a shop to get some. They only had a four-pack so we went with that. Back out to find somewhere to sit, and before long we were sitting on a nice bench in a leafy spot with a picturesque backdrop of French windows and wrought-iron balconies.

But just as we sat down, big fat raindrops started falling. My girlfriend's ice cream craving would not be so easily denied, so I pulled out a small umbrella and we sat there huddled on the bench in the rain, blissfully eating ice cream and peeking out at the passing world from beneath the umbrella. Presently we noticed a painter across the street, sheltered from the rain and stroking furiously at his easel. We didn't pay him much attention until we got ourselves outside the entire four-pack. By that point the rain was easing and my girlfriend suggested we walk across to the painter and see what he was doing. We staggered off the bench, crossed the narrow street, and had a look at an already beautiful, highly stylised, and almost complete watercolour... of us! There the couple sat under the trees and the umbrella, eating their ridiculous ice cream, at the bottom of the canvas but no less the focal point for that. A wonderful little moment, and all the more so because of its perfect serendipity.

That very evening the painting was hanging in a nearby gallery.
OMG that is like the cutest story, like, ever! I mean, really - that's like, one of those moments I hate love romantic comedies for, because it would never happen in real life.

I'm with Carol. You have to find a way to get that painting. Steal it, if you must.

As for my favorite ice cream flavors, I *love* Cinnamon Dulce de Leche from Häagen-Dazs. I had it the first day it was introduced and it's been my favorite ever since (a whole three months now!).

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-07-22, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post

Definitely sounds like a plan.
Hey now! Why am I getting volunteered? Sheesh.

And Dorian - yeah, you need that painting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-22, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Hey now! Why am I getting volunteered? Sheesh.
Because you are so...uh... *experienced*.

(...after all those hours of ice cream-making as a youth.)
Partial
Stallion

2007-07-22, 12:21

"Fat Elvis" ice cream in Madison.

It is a banana based ice cream, with chunks of peanut butter and brownies in it with swirls of fudge. It is amazing. 2 scoop waffle cone is like heaven and fills you up for awhile.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-07-22, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
I have never seen anyone use lingon sylt on sweet pancakes... just on black blood pancakes.
Well I don't think it's particularly Finnish (or Swedish?). I've simply expropriated lingon sylt and used it for my own purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
You know what pastime the Ostrobothnians are known for, right?
Nope, and I dread to think what you city dwellers think about them!

As for buying the painting, that indeed crossed our minds of course, but the artist said it wasn't for immediate sale, and we didn't want to appear too eager for fear of driving the price into the stratosphere. We did get his name and telephone number so we'll probably follow it up at some point. Owning the painting would certainly consummate the magic moment, wouldn't it?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-22, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
As for buying the painting, that indeed crossed our minds of course, but the artist said it wasn't for immediate sale, and we didn't want to appear too eager for fear of driving the price into the stratosphere.

We did get his name and telephone number so we'll probably follow it up at some point. Owning the painting would certainly consummate the magic moment, wouldn't it?
Yay!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-22, 13:38

Hmm... let me think. I'm a pretty much a chocoholic, and if a choice of deserts sits in front of me, I'll pretty much always choose the one that contains chocolate. If I'm lucky and there are more than one choices with chocolate, I'll choose the one with more chocolate

My favourite non-chocolate dessert I think would have to be sorbet. In particular, raspberry or lemon sorbet. Very light, but very delicious. I believe Haagen Dazs do a fantastic raspberry sorbet.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-22, 22:00

Raw Cane Sugar.

()
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-22, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
...I'll choose the one with more chocolate
Yay!

Same here.
Anonymous Coward

2007-07-22, 22:29

Peppermint
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-23, 00:06

Not much of an ice cream guy (or sweets in general), but I do like Cherries Jubilee at Baskin-Robbins. And the occasional banana split (like once a year, if that). I really don't eat ice cream.

As for other stuff, not much into cakes or pies. But every once in a while some good banana bread or a crumbly apple pie and Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream hits the spot.

Oh, and my Mom makes me a homemade lemon pound cake with this delicious glaze for my birthday every year. Just simple stuff like that.

I'm not a chocolate eater, so that rules out a whole bunch of stuff.

But, in general, my favorite type of desert would be some sort of concoction involving apples, good flaky crust or shell, vanilla ice cream, cinnamon and caramel all combined somehow.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-07-23, 06:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Hmm... let me think. I'm a pretty much a chocoholic, and if a choice of deserts sits in front of me, I'll pretty much always choose the one that contains chocolate. If I'm lucky and there are more than one choices with chocolate, I'll choose the one with more chocolate
When I'm lucky enough to partake in Häagen-Dazs ice cream at an actual Häagen-Dazs, my favorite dessert is their Rocky Road Dazzler, only made with Belgian Chocolate instead of Rocky Road. To those who aren't familiar with all the H-D lingo, the "Dazzler" basically consists of a scoop of ice cream, a bunch of fudge and Oreo pieces, another scoop of ice cream, a bunch of fudge and Oreo pieces, another scoop of ice cream, a bunch of fudge and Oreo pieces, and then some whipped cream topped with chocolate shavings for good measure. It's so incredibly chocolatey and thick that it's just, like, OMG. I work next to a Häagen-Dazs so sometimes that's my payday treat (or weekend treat, or halfway-through-the-week treat...).

And before anyone says anything, I've actually lost about 15 pounds since moving to Vegas, despite my newfound reliance on ice cream. It's actually kinda troubling, since I wasn't overweight before. But at least I get guilt-free chocolate out of the deal.

Chocolate is quite possibly the best thing ever. Even my pretentious vegan friends like chocolate. It's like, all those people trying to prove that God exists should give up their current arguments and use chocolate.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-23, 06:27

Speaking of Häagen-Dazs, I seem to have become addicted to their "Red Dream" smoothies.

That's a bad thing because they're 7€ EACH.

But soo good. Raspberry sherbet blended with sparkling lemonade, topped with raspberry sirop and a scoop of vanilla/raspberry icecream. Oh man, maybe I should go get one now...

You had me at asl
Kohoutek

2007-07-23, 06:36

I'm not a huge ice cream fan, however, I do love a bit of rum and raisin now and again. As for desserts Black Forest gateau, tiramisu and cheesecake are a few favourites.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2007-08-07, 10:29

Recently, I've thoroughly enjoyed the Häagen-Dazs Mayan Chocolate flavor. It's soooo delicious.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-07, 10:34

None.